Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yes I am rural (very rural ... As in like ... No neighbors for the next 10 miles ... So it's different out here and anyone who comes to visit us has to abide by an "it's my way or the highway" policy xD. The dogs live here too ... This is their house and if you don't like it then you know where the gate and the road is.
LOL yeah, if I lived way out there where people around the house are rare and suspect, believe me, I'd let the bad bitches party it up when they saw somebody.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:59 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Yeah we are so remote hat I WANT them to make a fuss when they see something or someone out of the ordinary. The biger the fuss, the better.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:23 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
Yeah we are so remote hat I WANT them to make a fuss when they see something or someone out of the ordinary. The biger the fuss, the better.
Teagan misses living on the farm because she can bark her little head off all she wants and nobody will stop her and no fence so she can go on adventure's. She loves to visit grandma and Grandpa. Free Bark pass ha ha Oh and there are squirrels and foxes to bark and chase at all day long.

Living in town she gets told to STFU!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

It's funny because for me living rurally, it's kind of the opposite...I know EVERYONE who comes to the house and break ins are completely and utterly unheard of, so I am working to tone down Onyx's natural territorial aggression. I don't need a home security system, we don't even ever lock the doors.

I've actually been meaning to ask this question, I guess this is as good a place as any - to those of you with guardy dogs, what is your routine for introducing welcome guests to the house?

At the moment what is working for us is, I leash Onyx whenever anyone arrives and after an initial bark when they first come in the door, I generally distract her by asking her to do some stuff (basic obedience/tricks/whatever), and also reward for calm behavior (usually some look at that, too). Basically once I've distracted and given some treats, and a few moments have gone by, she doesn't even notice the new people so I can let her off and she'll generally just ignore them, maybe go greet them eventually. The one time I tried having someone else give her treats, she was super suspicious and didn't like it, so I won't do that again for a while. I should add, this is for people she doesn't know (or not very well), people she knows she will bark at but then greet happily once she realizes who it is.

I've never had an even remotely guardy dog before so it's all interesting and new. It's so interesting to see this behavior (just in the past while as she's getting older), she is totally social and happily greets strangers off the property, but she is definitely feeling the need to protect her territory as she matures.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
I've actually been meaning to ask this question, I guess this is as good a place as any - to those of you with guardy dogs, what is your routine for introducing welcome guests to the house?
You may get better responses starting a thread about it.

But, for me, I've done different things with different dogs. Aka, I've only ever had three dogs that were at all "guardy" and only one was to an extreme. Blackie, my childhood Lab, was very watch-doggy and he would behave much the same that Abrams does. Alert barks and doesn't say hi unless someone from the family was saying hi, too. However, like with Abrams, we were never at all concerned that he would ever bite someone. So, like with Abrams, we would just greet the person and all would be well. (Unlike with Blackie, I typically do most of Abrams' introductions outside...because he'll get excited and pee on the floor. )

With Chloe, she is VERY territorial and VERY protective and she WILL bite. If we are going to have adult male guests over, she just gets put away, no ifs ands or buts. If a new person is coming over that she needs to get used to, I would leash her and work on tricks/obedience with the other person in the room and reward any and all calm, positive interactions she tried to give the person. If a new person is coming over that she WON'T need to get used to...we just put her away. Better safe than sorry, especially with how unpredictable she is. Mom says she's even started to get aggressive towards people she used to be fine with (including family members ), so we're honestly not sure how much longer she'll be around...

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Kootenay, if what you're doing is working, then I'd say keep doing it.

I do basically the same thing, make sure I can restrain her with a leash or tab. She does well taking food from people so I do have them feed her, but if Onyx doesn't then don't push it. I ask her to sit, make sure she sees high value food go from my hand to their hand, have them drop some food (instead of just sticking their hand at her face), have them hand feed her, and then usually we're all good. I watch them and make sure she greets them, checks them out, and feels good about them.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I watch my mom try to train. She's starting classes with Cajun this weekend, and since she's too old for the puppy class she's just in a level 1 class, so I told my mom she'll probably be the youngest dog there and there's a good chance those other dogs have some small form of training... to try to prevent the frustration and embarrassment of showing up with a dog who has absolutely no concept of anything, I tried to do some "pre-training" today.

Let's just say I have NO business being a dog trainer because all I kept saying to my mom was YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Stop telling her to sitsitsit when she hasn't even been taught sit. Stop holding her collar. No, you're not luring her right. OH, just give the treats to me and let me do it!

Probably a good thing I'm not able to go to this first class since I work

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
It's funny because for me living rurally, it's kind of the opposite...I know EVERYONE who comes to the house and break ins are completely and utterly unheard of, so I am working to tone down Onyx's natural territorial aggression. I don't need a home security system, we don't even ever lock the doors.

At the moment what is working for us is, I leash Onyx whenever anyone arrives and after an initial bark when they first come in the door, I generally distract her by asking her to do some stuff (basic obedience/tricks/whatever), and also reward for calm behavior (usually some look at that, too). Basically once I've distracted and given some treats, and a few moments have gone by, she doesn't even notice the new people so I can let her off and she'll generally just ignore them, maybe go greet them eventually. The one time I tried having someone else give her treats, she was super suspicious and didn't like it, so I won't do that again for a while. I should add, this is for people she doesn't know (or not very well), people she knows she will bark at but then greet happily once she realizes who it is.

I've never had an even remotely guardy dog before so it's all interesting and new. It's so interesting to see this behavior (just in the past while as she's getting older), she is totally social and happily greets strangers off the property, but she is definitely feeling the need to protect her territory as she matures.
The gardy dogs I had were like ... Totally different dogs when I was present, they could be barking at a person one minute and be all like "oh, ok, you!'really cool" the second I went outside to meet said person (out here usually the only visited see get are ppl delivering things, repairing something or the horse Shoer lol).

I am not a CM fan but I did tell ppl to adopt a "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" (ESP when Izze was around), just pretend the dog isn't there. I have found hat if I put it in "celeb dog trainer" terms then the general public tends to listen a lot better xD.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm All Ears

I just pulled a HUGE tick off of Mia's ear. It's been in the 20s outside.... This weekend was the first weekend I started up hiking in the deep woods again, figuring it was too cold for snakes and ticks. Apparently not.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Webster is extremely displeased with the arrival of winter and would like to be adopted by someone in a more tropical region. Immediately.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13