Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
You could always look for adult rehomes. Either from a breeder with an adult dog they need to place, or I've even seen ads on craigslist for people rehoming young adult dogs that their kids have done 4H obedience/agility with and since "out grown".

(I am not an enabler. I'm not.)

I still browse petfinder and craigslist on occasion. If the right dog fell into my lap this time next year or the following year, I would consider it. Right now too much is up in the air though.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 11-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Ok then! Took B out with the bike and didn't die. In fact, she was really good!

We went to a big empty parking lot to get our sea legs and she did a great job reading my turns and really seemed to enjoy. And boy does she move beautifully and efficiently next to a bike. When I jog she has to shorten her stride, but the bike is a great pace setter for her.

Of course, we've yet to meet any distractions. HA! *orders helmet on Amazon*

Old 11-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Ok then! Took B out with the bike and didn't die. In fact, she was really good!

We went to a big empty parking lot to get our sea legs and she did a great job reading my turns and really seemed to enjoy. And boy does she move beautifully and efficiently next to a bike. When I jog she has to shorten her stride, but the bike is a great pace setter for her.

Of course, we've yet to meet any distractions. HA! *orders helmet on Amazon*
Glad you didn't die!

Do you use a special bike attachment, training collar, or what? I love biking with the dogs and seeing what other people use.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Glad you didn't die!

Do you use a special bike attachment, training collar, or what? I love biking with the dogs and seeing what other people use.
Right now she's just on a 4 ft leash that I hold in my hand against the handle bar, but don't loop around my wrist or tie to anything, so I can drop it easily in an emergency. Attached to a well-fitted prong to deter lunging and allow me to "steer" her easily.

Eventually, I would really like to try some kind of attachment with her in a harness and allow her to put some pressure and pull me a little. But not until we have some solid voice cues and good trust. I think in that situation I would attach the harness to the bike/gadget, but still have a lead on a prong collar in hand for control if necessary.

I also love biking with dogs and love how it gives me the ability to match their pace - even Blossom! She's the biggest/longest-legged dog I've ever biked with and it was soooooo fun and her natural stride works really well with the bike! I'm excited about our future biking adventures.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

I'm doing the same with Sir and Frag- prong on loose leash. I really like how they ride now, and haven't had any issues, I just think an attachment seems more "accepted" so I've been thinking about trying one. I keep going back and forth. Kind of thinking "if it's not broke, don't fix it" especially hearing that other people are doing it, too, without issue. It seems safer to me, honestly, but a lot of people warn against leash/collar riding. :/

Old 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
I'm doing the same with Sir and Frag- prong on loose leash. I really like how they ride now, and haven't had any issues, I just think an attachment seems more "accepted" so I've been thinking about trying one. I keep going back and forth. Kind of thinking "if it's not broke, don't fix it" especially hearing that other people are doing it, too, without issue. It seems safer to me, honestly, but a lot of people warn against leash/collar riding. :/
I rode for YEARS collar and leash with Mackenzy and only like 2 issues ever, none of which were serious, just embarrassing. So don't feel bad about riding leash and collar, I think it can be done very safely if you're just smart about it. I just make sure that 1.) the dog has a reliable recall and 2.) I can quickly and easily drop the leash if necessary.

The only real issues I ever had were with morons letting their dog lunge at me or run right in front of the bike...

Old 11-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
I've always thought bike attachments (other than for Bikjoring) are scary! The idea that you can't control whether or not you let go of your dog in an emergency, can't switch sides if you need to and basically it's just lack of control that terrifies me.

I've had to let go of the dogs all at one point or another because of a dog or danger and at the same time I've had to hold tight because we crashed near a busy road.

So basically, I completely agree with you!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks it's a better idea! Makes me feel a bit better about it. I definitely don't like the idea of the bike being pulled from a center spot and changing balancing points, etc. Plus, herders don't particularly like pressure and I don't think Sir would appreciate being so close either. I like choosing how close/far away they are for each terrain we ride.

Also, those things cost money! Haha. Just bought new supplements for them, I don't need to pay for a bike attachment anytime soon.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

I've always biked with collar and leash, I totally agree the idea of being attached and unable to let go is scary!

I haven't had issues except, well, once I was really dumb and was riding with a flexi leash and we came across a herd of deer, and then instead of letting to I tried to stop before the dog got to the end of the leash, and it didn't work out so I bailed pretty hard. That's the only crash I've had while biking with a dog though, and I clearly learned my lesson - no flexi leashes!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:03 PM
dogstrong

I hate bike attachments, I use a harness and leash. Bloo uses her comfortflex, Em does a Ruffwear Webmaster or comfortflex depending on what's closest.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"