Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

I am in such a painful delimma today with Zander. As most know he has been miserable this year with itching and scratching and biting. His coat is yuck, he stinks, he's ripping out his coat chunks at a time. He has dropped weight I assume because he's just so darn tired of scratching and then that makes him anxious, and then that stresses him out more...

It wasn't fleas, skin scraping is clear. Isn't food unless it is recent and new and either eggs or pea/potato. So we went ahead with a cortisol shot and week and a half steroids/cortisol.

It is an immediate change. He isn't itchy, he slept well, he is so full of himself and happy and dorky as he used to be. I'm THRILLED he feels better. But I hate to think of this as a cure. I don't like the idea of this being his treatment. I don't want to know long term side effects. But I don't want him miserable either.

Sigh. I wish there was something better I could do. I wish it was a simple food allergy and I could such switch him. But when he is allergic to the WORLD, it isn't as simple or easy or guilt free.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

Lyz, I had to break down and give Logan steroids this year, too. TWICE.

I'm planning on waiting to see if he does the same thing next year, and if so doing allergy testing/desensitization. BUT I'm hoping that since this year was such an awful year for allergies, it's not going to be as bad next year.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:11 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I am in such a painful delimma today with Zander. As most know he has been miserable this year with itching and scratching and biting. His coat is yuck, he stinks, he's ripping out his coat chunks at a time. He has dropped weight I assume because he's just so darn tired of scratching and then that makes him anxious, and then that stresses him out more...

It wasn't fleas, skin scraping is clear. Isn't food unless it is recent and new and either eggs or pea/potato. So we went ahead with a cortisol shot and week and a half steroids/cortisol.

It is an immediate change. He isn't itchy, he slept well, he is so full of himself and happy and dorky as he used to be. I'm THRILLED he feels better. But I hate to think of this as a cure. I don't like the idea of this being his treatment. I don't want to know long term side effects. But I don't want him miserable either.

Sigh. I wish there was something better I could do. I wish it was a simple food allergy and I could such switch him. But when he is allergic to the WORLD, it isn't as simple or easy or guilt free.
If it makes you feel any better, Gracie has been on a maintenance dose of Temaril-P for the past year, without breaks. That is the only thing that keeps her skin happy, and we still have to do rounds of antibiotics every other month or so it seems. I ran bloodwork on her last week, and her values were WONDERFUL. The vet was actually shocked and said we must have her on the perfect dose, as she there wasn't even a rise in any values.

I'd much rather have a happy, non-itchy, non-hivey dog who I have to monitor every 6 months than a miserable dog. Of course, in a perfect world, we'd have her allergy tested and get allergy injections...but that would cost between $600-$800 for the initial workup and that is WAY out of budget. So Temaril-P and bloodwork every 6 months it is.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
orange iguanas.

I met a Dutch Shepherd today. He was super cool. Way cooler than I thought he would be. I was expecting him to be a spaz and sketchy around strangers and even before I met him I was like "I'm not trusting this dog." But he was a complete sweetheart and gave me delicate kisses while I took his temperature and in his mind nothing bad could happen as long as cookies were involved.

Needless to say, he got a star sticker booped on his forehead for being such a star patient! I kind of love when dogs are so pleasantly surprising.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I met a Dutch Shepherd today. He was super cool. Way cooler than I thought he would be. I was expecting him to be a spaz and sketchy around strangers and even before I met him I was like "I'm not trusting this dog." But he was a complete sweetheart and gave me delicate kisses while I took his temperature and in his mind nothing bad could happen as long as cookies were involved.

Needless to say, he got a star sticker booped on his forehead for being such a star patient! I kind of love when dogs are so pleasantly surprising.
I've only met 2 dutchies, and they were both awesome. One was Indy, the other was the bitch traveling though in heat on my last day at the clinic.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:18 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I've only met 2 dutchies, and they were both awesome. One was Indy, the other was the bitch traveling though in heat on my last day at the clinic.
I feel bad that I was judging him so harshly before he even walked in the door lol, I really know absolutely nothing about the breed. I was just kind of lumping them in with German Shepherds (because why not?), a breed that I'm just not comfortable trusting very far (sorry). But this dude was wonderful and I'd be happy to handle him any day of the week!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

You know, reading what I wrote, I realized the only two Dutchies I've met have both been bitches in heat
Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
You know, reading what I wrote, I realized the only two Dutchies I've met have both been bitches in heat
Hahahaha, I was just about to point that out!!! lmao.

Indy's a doll. Other Dutchies I've met (just a few) have ranged from AWESOME to SPAZ lol. One was a no touch dog on the Police force though.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Dear Cara,
I love this focus you have going on. <3

Love,
Foodlady

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 11-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

I'm dehydrating chicken feet. Every time I get up to go down to the kitchen it's like I'm the lead of a parade.