Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Don't freak out. Just take your puppy everywhere and set it up for good experiences when you do. It will be fine. Trying to micromanage the puppy's upbringing will just make you crazy.

Even though I understand the urge to micromanage too. LOL
Really this. I had pages and pages of socialization stuff prepared before Feist came home. She is just living life and getting a ton of good experience that way. Obviously it depends on your lifestyle how much of an effort you'll need to make. But breathe. Relax.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Ollie is sick. Fever of 105, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite. He went in today at 12 and they were worried he might be blocked. First x-ray showed that his breakfast from 6 am had not moved. However, a later x-ray at 5 pm showed some movement but also something going on in one of his lungs, something that looked like pneumonia but the little guy hasn't been coughing at all. Ugh. He was dehydrated so got some fluids and that definitely helped. Basically we're thinking he's got a bad bug, probably viral, and just needs help getting through it. They did do some bloodwork and a fecal that we'll hear about tomorrow.

Poor little spaniel man.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Oh no, not Ollie! Healthy vibes to my little spaniel friend.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 10-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrohwen View Post
Oh no, not Ollie! Healthy vibes to my little spaniel friend.
Thanks! It kind of made me lol after we were discussing Watson's possible issue. The next day Ollie's like, "Oh hi, I also broke my tummy." Argh.

He's curled up with his "mommy" and very comfortable at the moment.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm All Ears

There was a MOUSE in my dog food container. Not even just one.... 2. One jumped at me then I could just see the tail of the other... It was awful. After they jumped at me, I put down a trap and within a minute (literally) Mia had chased the mouse into the trap. Good Mia.

I released the mouse out miles away and then went and bought new tupperware containers for my food. Taller containers.

Ew ew ew. And I haven't seen a trace of a mouse in months up till today.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
General puppy socialization FREAK OUT right now. So much less time to plan than I was expecting.
This! Especially because the last puppy I socialized is now a freak who needs Prozac I don't want to screw it up this time.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Mom: "I let Pepper out because she seemed like she wanted to come out. But then she just stood there... in your room... not doing anything.. she was just standing there."

Ohhhhh Peppydrizzle.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm All Ears

We used to have hamsters a long time ago and Nikki would freak out over them. She wanted to see them and would go in the room and just watch them all the time. Our hamsters were really tame so we would carry them around and often baby-talk them. I used to tease Nikki by cupping my hands like I was holding something and baby talking and she would always think I had a hamster.

Fast forward to now and I have never had a small rodent with Mia and I can do the same thing. Cup my hands and then start saying 'Oh look at the sweet mouse! What a cute mouse!' and she runs over and shoves her nose in my hands and thinks I am holding a mouse. It's funny because she's never actually SEEN me hold a mouse/hamster or anything. So it's interesting to me that she realizes what I'm doing.

Do all dogs get excited if you cup your hands then talk to your imaginary creature?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
We used to have hamsters a long time ago and Nikki would freak out over them. She wanted to see them and would go in the room and just watch them all the time. Our hamsters were really tame so we would carry them around and often baby-talk them. I used to tease Nikki by cupping my hands like I was holding something and baby talking and she would always think I had a hamster.

Fast forward to now and I have never had a small rodent with Mia and I can do the same thing. Cup my hands and then start saying 'Oh look at the sweet mouse! What a cute mouse!' and she runs over and shoves her nose in my hands and thinks I am holding a mouse. It's funny because she's never actually SEEN me hold a mouse/hamster or anything. So it's interesting to me that she realizes what I'm doing.

Do all dogs get excited if you cup your hands then talk to your imaginary creature?
I don't know about all, but most of the dogs I know do. You're cupping your hands and making funny noises at them. It's weird.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Definitely. I think he's sure that I'm hiding a treat in there somewhere and have decided that the treat is my new best friend, so the only way to remedy that is by eating it.

On the other hand, we do have hamsters, and Trent doesn't want anything to do with them. They sit in their cage above the fireplace and Trent's never so much as lifted a head to look at them. Sometimes I hold one of them and I'll put him on top of Trent while he's lying down. He tolerates it and won't move, but you can just see how displeased he is.

The cats, on the other hand, will all run to me (no matter where they were in the house), as soon as they hear the hamster cage door opening.