The dog musing/vent thread

Whelp. The girls are as ready as they can be for the audition. Now it's going to be up to me to keep my nerves down. I keep telling myself that they will either like what they see or they won't. They'll either see our potential or figure we have too much work ahead of us still. One of the people that is watching has seen us play a few times in person though, so I assume I wouldn't be brought in with all expenses paid without having the skills they need. Either that or they haven't consulted her at all and they are going to be sorely disappointed when we get there.

I am so excited to show off their agility though. No confidence needed with that one! Maybe we'll hit agility first boost up our confidence and then move onto disc.
Good luck!

SaraB

I must have missed it -- what is the audition for? Sounds exciting. I'm sure you guys will rock it.
We are trying out for a new job. A really awesome job that I would be so incredibly awestruck if we got. Haven't told many people the exact details yet, but the interview/audition is happening Monday and we will be leaving Saturday to drive down there.

SaraB

I was taking a "for-fun" agility class with Squash when he was a teenager and he did the exact same thing. He never went off course specifically to pee on stuff, but he'd stop and pee at the end of the tunnel. He, too, peed on the tire AS he was jumping through (HOWWWWWW?!).

That's exactly what I did, used a belly band. I just couldn't have him peeing on stuff, and I think it was mildly aversive enough for him that it helped nip it in the bud.
I have a foundations class right now that is my Pee-class. Last night was our actual first night of class where nobody marked anything! Now to their credit, the culprits are an older dog who was neutured super late in life, an intact middle-aged dog and a spunky little neutured thing who just wants to be like all of his friends. Luckily, it's one of my fav classes despite their leakiness.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Whelp. The girls are as ready as they can be for the audition. Now it's going to be up to me to keep my nerves down. I keep telling myself that they will either like what they see or they won't. They'll either see our potential or figure we have too much work ahead of us still. One of the people that is watching has seen us play a few times in person though, so I assume I wouldn't be brought in with all expenses paid without having the skills they need. Either that or they haven't consulted her at all and they are going to be sorely disappointed when we get there.

I am so excited to show off their agility though. No confidence needed with that one! Maybe we'll hit agility first boost up our confidence and then move onto disc.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm so excited for you!!

I always tell Payton before an agility run "don't pee on anything." So far he hasn't. But I always make sure to tell him. ;P

Picklepaige

Good luck!!

iriskai

See, I just know that Watson would grab a chicken part and jump on the couch to eat it. :rofl1: I'd have to feed him in his crate, but that stays in the bedroom and I'm not crazy about raw meat in the bedroom. I've fed him raw before as a treat, but always when it was nice enough that I could put him outside on a tie out.

Those prices are pretty amazing though. The only meat I've bought for that cheap has been chicken livers or hearts - the things that most people aren't buying. Everything else is $3.99/lb or so. Even BJs isn't as cheap as the stuff you're finding.
Lol! Ezra tried that once. I took it from him and put it back on the rug. He caught on. :)

How close are you to Dobbs Ferry or Briarcliff Manor? I found a co-op that drops at one of those two locations for $10. All sorts of chicken (quarters, backs and necks for $.75 to $.90 a pound), turkey necks for $ 1.23 a pound, beef ($1.25 to $2.50 for heart, $1.40 for kidney, $2.58 for stew meat), duck necks for $1.27 a pound and all sorts of ground mixes.

Elrohwen

Lol! Ezra tried that once. I took it from him and put it back on the rug. He caught on. :)

How close are you to Dobbs Ferry or Briarcliff Manor? I found a co-op that drops at one of those two locations for $10. All sorts of chicken (quarters, backs and necks for $.75 to $.90 a pound), turkey necks for $ 1.23 a pound, beef ($1.25 to $2.50 for heart, $1.40 for kidney, $2.58 for stew meat), duck necks for $1.27 a pound and all sorts of ground mixes.
They're about 45-55min away from me. That's really cheap! I need to talk DH into a chest freezer for the basement since our regular one is already full of other stuff. He likes buying stuff like that, so I think he'd be on board. That would be our first step, then I'd like to try raw for one meal per day, kibble for the other.

I always tell Payton before an agility run "don't pee on anything." So far he hasn't. But I always make sure to tell him. ;P
Lol. Shelties are smart that way. They know what you're saying.

I have a foundations class right now that is my Pee-class. Last night was our actual first night of class where nobody marked anything! Now to their credit, the culprits are an older dog who was neutured super late in life, an intact middle-aged dog and a spunky little neutured thing who just wants to be like all of his friends. Luckily, it's one of my fav classes despite their leakiness.
Last night the instructor said she would give a prize to whoever's dog didn't pee or poop in the ring. Apparently we are the leakiest class she's ever seen. I think the winner right now is a little beagle girl. None of the boys stand a chance.

Good luck on your interview!

I was taking a "for-fun" agility class with Squash when he was a teenager and he did the exact same thing. He never went off course specifically to pee on stuff, but he'd stop and pee at the end of the tunnel. He, too, peed on the tire AS he was jumping through (HOWWWWWW?!).

That's exactly what I did, used a belly band. I just couldn't have him peeing on stuff, and I think it was mildly aversive enough for him that it helped nip it in the bud.
So glad that might work! Any recommendations? I was going to poke around and probably order something off of Amazon. He's never worn clothes of any kind, so I have no idea how he'll feel about moving around with that on. I'm expecting anything from drama queen to not even noticing it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Good luck! I have an idea of what it is and it would be awesome!

I had a dream I adopted a dog named Stetson. I kinda like that name.

Dagwall

That's awesome! I'd really like to go raw but just can't get over the convenience and cost factor yet (need to find a cheaper source). Some day I hope to take the leap.
I'm only feeding partial raw, kibble in AM/raw in PM, but for me it's only a hassle for 1-2 days every 2 months or so when I get a new order. I'll spend a couple hours making meal sized portions and putting them in ziplock bags. I'll usually end up with 6-8 different meal type bags which get bunched into grocery bags to help keep them organized. I have bags of liver meals, kidney meals, pancreas meals, chicken quarters with gizzards and heart, heart with tripe, pork shoulder, turkey neck, salmon, and lots of combos of the above plus more.

Making the meal portions is a pain but the time in between I just keep two meals thawing in the fridge all the time and just have to pull out the next one when I feed.

The cost point really just depends on what's available in your area and how hard you look. Having an extra freezer allowing you to order in bulk is a huge help on cost for most people. I have an extra freezer but it isn't exclusively for raw storage. I max out around 40# of raw in my storage space but I'll often buy some stuff in between orders from my distributor at the grocery store/asian market as more space opens up in my freezers.

I'm not finding prices as cheap as iriskai is but I can get most stuff between $2.50 to $0.90 a pound. If I had the space for real bulk orders I could get a lot more for $1.50 or less a pound though.

As for running off to the couch with the raw items instead of staying at the towel. It was a concern for me too. When I first started giving turkey necks as a weekly raw treat/meal I'd feed them outside. When I started regular raw meals I knew I'd have to adjust to inside. I just put a towel under the bowl and leashed him up so he couldn't run. I also feed in the kitchen which has baby gates on both doorways. He did try and carry the boney items away at first but quickly learned I wanted him to stay over the towel and I wasn't going to mess with him or take it away. Most dogs will figure out the "rules" quickly and not cause much trouble.

SaraB

Last night the instructor said she would give a prize to whoever's dog didn't pee or poop in the ring. Apparently we are the leakiest class she's ever seen. I think the winner right now is a little beagle girl. None of the boys stand a chance.

Good luck on your interview!
I'm going to make a little trophy with a dog lifting it's leg and hand it out to whoever's dog pees first. And then when another dog pees, they get to pass it on to the next owner. It's going to be awesome.

SpringerLover

Good luck! :)

iriskai

Missed this one! Thanks!!! :D
:p

They're about 45-55min away from me. That's really cheap! I need to talk DH into a chest freezer for the basement since our regular one is already full of other stuff. He likes buying stuff like that, so I think he'd be on board. That would be our first step, then I'd like to try raw for one meal per day, kibble for the other.
Raawenergy.com is the one I found. Might be worth a look! I'm trying to talk my parents in to giving up their old standup freezer since they don't use it. :)

I had a dream I adopted a dog named Stetson. I kinda like that name.
I wanted to name my horse Stetson in high school. My mom wouldn't let me because it reminded her of the cologne. :/

So glad that might work! Any recommendations? I was going to poke around and probably order something off of Amazon. He's never worn clothes of any kind, so I have no idea how he'll feel about moving around with that on. I'm expecting anything from drama queen to not even noticing it.
I just went to Petco and got whatever they had on the shelf. I only put it on during his runs, and took it off in between. He wasn't crazy about it when it was dry, and didn't like it even more when it was wet. I told him if he didn't like it he should stop peeing himself. :p

Elrohwen

I just went to Petco and got whatever they had on the shelf. I only put it on during his runs, and took it off in between. He wasn't crazy about it when it was dry, and didn't like it even more when it was wet. I told him if he didn't like it he should stop peeing himself. :p
:rofl1: I think Watson has too much fur down there to notice if he's wearing something wet.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Was it an ACD? I could totally imagine an ACD, or some type of wirey working ranch dog being named Stetson.
Thanks!

Bet it was a cattle dog! Or a Mcnab. Get a McNab. McNabs are cool.
Supposedly it was a border collie mix but I dunno. It was a scruffy looking kind of dog. black and white with a lot of ticking. CUTE though.

Sorry Meagan but I think that's gotta go on my sheepdog name list!

In December I had a dream I got a red and white border collie and named him Sparkles. I like Stetson better than Sparkles. :rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.