Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Big Dog

Default Chicken for Treats

I was given a bunch of freezer burnt chicken breast and I was thinking about using it for high value treats for my dogs. My only dilemma, is I really like to pocket treats and not really seeing this doable with just cooked chicken. Even if I have a treat bag, I don't really like the idea of it getting messy and needing washed every single use. I've tried lining with a ziplock bag, but it just becomes bunched up and I find I'm fumbling more with trying to get to the treat than rewarding the dog as fast as I'd like.

Does anyone have methods they wouldn't mind sharing that make the meat a little more pocket/travel friendly?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

I've heard that it can help to boil the chicken, cut it up, then put in a low oven for a while to dry it out, like you would for liver. I haven't tried it though.

For pocket lining, try the snack sized ziplocks. They work pretty well for me and don't bunch up like the larger bags.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 10-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

Both liver and chicken I dice up small while still mostly frozen and space out on olive oiled baking sheet and "dry" on low on the oven for a couple hrs. MUCH less shreddies than the boiling method.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

I usually make jerky. Slice it thin and pound it thinner, lay it out on a cookie sheet lightly greased with olive oil, and bake it on a low temp for a long time. I then break it into whatever size I want (though it can be hard to get super small pieces, I usually use it for his treat ball).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I usually make jerky. Slice it thin and pound it thinner, lay it out on a cookie sheet lightly greased with olive oil, and bake it on a low temp for a long time. I then break it into whatever size I want (though it can be hard to get super small pieces, I usually use it for his treat ball).
That's what I do as well. Although I will bake it at a high heat for 10 min first to kill any kind of bacteria for when I'm touching it and then touching my clothes, other people, etc. Then bake it on very low heat overnight, turns it into nice chicken jerky. I don't use olive oil though, and then you can cut it up into small pieces for pocket treats as they're sometimes hard to break with bare hands.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Big Dog

Thanks all, I like those ideas and going to break up the chicken and see which method works best for me. Question for the jerky-like one, how low exactly and do you just put it in most the day, check on it and pull when it looks dry?