Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Oh yeah Andrew i think your great definatly not a "typical guy" lol

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-20-2005, 12:31 AM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
ROFL! Yeah, my girls and Bimmer have SOOOO many aggression and dominance issues. Right. If laying on the furniture caused those problems mine would be slavering killers by now . . .

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny: "What a marroon!"

LOL!
Old 02-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

You're great, Andrew!

I don't get why people still think it's necessary to nurture an adversarial relationship with dogs. I worked for a trainer once that did her best to scare, hurt, and otherwise bully dogs into doing what she said. I took them back to their kennels when she was done with them, and sat in there and held them for a long time. I felt SO awful for them! We would sit in the kennel and they would shake while we listened to her torment her next charge (victim). The dogs would actually try to escape the facility rather than go to "class". Even then I knew they weren't learning anything. They did what she told them because they were afraid of her. What kind of relationship is that to have? I want my dogs to do what I ask them to do because they want to do it, not because I bully them into it. And frankly, I think my way is better because instead of trying to escape, my doggy students always run toward me with big smiles when it's training time!

If there are two ways to do something--as there are in dog training--and one way is clearly easier, kinder, and more fun, why doesn't everyone go with it? I just don't get it. I always tell my clients, "Don't pay someone to do to your dog what you would have them arrested for doing to your child." Why, in this "enlightened" age (although we're obviously slipping backward in that regard in my country), are dogs still second-class citizens?

I'll quit preaching now. I just get so frustrated in this business, not with the dogs or the owners, but with the other trainers! I think we ought to put shock collars on them!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Felurian

[QUOTE]"Don't pay someone to do to your dog what you would have them arrested for doing to your child."[QUOTE]

Emma, you've distilled the whole concept brilliantly!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
You're great, Andrew!

I don't get why people still think it's necessary to nurture an adversarial relationship with dogs. I worked for a trainer once that did her best to scare, hurt, and otherwise bully dogs into doing what she said. I took them back to their kennels when she was done with them, and sat in there and held them for a long time. I felt SO awful for them! We would sit in the kennel and they would shake while we listened to her torment her next charge (victim). The dogs would actually try to escape the facility rather than go to "class". Even then I knew they weren't learning anything. They did what she told them because they were afraid of her. What kind of relationship is that to have? I want my dogs to do what I ask them to do because they want to do it, not because I bully them into it. And frankly, I think my way is better because instead of trying to escape, my doggy students always run toward me with big smiles when it's training time!

If there are two ways to do something--as there are in dog training--and one way is clearly easier, kinder, and more fun, why doesn't everyone go with it? I just don't get it. I always tell my clients, "Don't pay someone to do to your dog what you would have them arrested for doing to your child." Why, in this "enlightened" age (although we're obviously slipping backward in that regard in my country), are dogs still second-class citizens?

I'll quit preaching now. I just get so frustrated in this business, not with the dogs or the owners, but with the other trainers! I think we ought to put shock collars on them!
Very well-said.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
MIiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
I think we ought to put shock collars on them!
Not without increasing the voltage first - proportionate to body weight perhaps?

I think a lot of people still have the (not so) great idea that things have to be conquored....whether it be a mountain, the highway taken on the way to work in the morning or their pets. When the idea is to 'break' something and then re-mold it into what you want it to be, the individuality of that person or animal is lost - and ironically, a lot of people are drawn to the personality first
Old 02-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Puppy Dog

I agree with Andrew, my father doesn't like animals period. He had a fit that my dogs were on the furniture and then this past summer he and my step-mother came over for a cook-out and he was upset that the dogs were outside with us. But what really got him, was that the neighbors came over with their cameras to take pictures of the dogs. My neighbors have pictures of my boys on their refrigerators and even get them Christmas presents. Why do some people not like our dogs? What is wrong with them? I wouldn't trade their fuzzy little warm faces, which wake me up way to early with a big old wet kiss, for anything in the world.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Love my pets

My animals mean the world to me; they are my family. To come in the front door and have them all gather around for me to tell them how good they are and exchange kisses is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Felurian

You're so right, Barb! Although I'll have to admit I'd kind of like to be able to get in the front door without bracing myself and crying, 'BACK, BACK, BACK, DOWN! Let me in the door!"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian