Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Hannah & Cole's Mom

Angry Who Gets The Dog?

Has anyone heard about this new upcoming TV reality show on Animal Planet called "Who Gets The Dog"? In a nutshell...they pull a dog out of a shelter and shuffle it around for 3 days with 3 families for 24 hours each. Somehow the dog is supposed to "choose" which family it wants to live with. The family members must not have been convicted of any crime including animal abuse and they must be willing to adopt and care for the dog involved.

Can you believe the craziness of this? I had already thought that reality TV has gone over the top but this is ridiculously over the top! Is this what it's come to for "entertainment purposes"? What happens after the show is over? What happens to the dog after the novelty wears off? Can you just imagine what kinds of behaviour problems this will cause in the dog?

This kind of thing would never happen with a foster child....why would it be called "entertainment" for something like this to happen to the dog.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:00 AM
Are you dead yet?

Are you kidding me?! That's one of the lamest things I've ever heard.. Reality TV is ridiculous.

That dog will be stressed to the max... After coming out of a shelter, a very stressful environment, and dropped into 3 different houses in 3 days, all with different people and different environments... I fail to see the entertainment in there...
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Felurian

I would have looked for better from a network devoted to animals. If they want to make a 'quick buck' they should do a documentary on deer! (Sorry, that was a bad one . . . )
Old 08-18-2004, 07:30 PM
treehugging clicker freak

HaHaHa, good one Renee!
Animal Planet used to be my favorite channel, I watched it religously, it was all that was ever on at my house. With me trying to learn and know everything I can about animals, esp. dogs, the shows are driving me crazy. I'm one of those people who yell at the TV ("don't go in the basement you idiot!" lol), I believe its genetic The day before yesterday I watched That's My Baby, and a Chow was having puppies. They drag it out - and when the first puppy comes out and the owner's cleaning it and rubbing it while the momma eats the afterbirth or whatever, and starts to choke. The dogs panicing, choking, I'm screaming at the TV, the owner is yelling at the dog to be gentle with the puppy. Finally the dog sort of convulses and then keels over. Not Breathing. Only then does the owner freak out, yelling at her daughter who hadn't got up from her chair the whole time to call the vet. She's screaming "OMG she died, she just died!" over and over, and then starts hitting the dogs side.
Anyone seen it?
I was horrified, and I still wonder why no one filming could put the camera or the mike or whatever stupid equipment down and help.
Well, because the owner was thumping the dogs side it became unlodged from the dogs airway and she started to breath. Still dazed the chow then began to have her puppies again...
They didn't realized she choked until way after, and then the owner wouldn't let the mom even lick her wet puppies or anything.
Where does animal planet find these 'breeders'? Most of them didn't seem like very good ones, and I for one don't think the channel should promote 'backyard breeding.'

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 08-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Are you dead yet?

Brattina: I noticed the same thing with that show.. I see people breeding mutts that they found on the street just because 'she's really cute'. I've seen a couple good breeders on there, that actually know what they're doing, but most just seem to be devoted owners who think 'it'd be fun' to have their dog or cat have babies.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Felurian

I hope you guys have registered your very valid points with the network, either by letter or by e-mail. It's very possible no one there has even thought about it from our perspective.

Animal Planet has been one of the things I've missed since being out here in the boondocks with no cable. Along with being stuck with molasses slow dial up internet! We can't even get DSL, ISDN or any of the other hook-ups! It makes me very sad that Animal Planet is airing such tripe.

And, yeah, I talk back to the TV too. I guess the comment I make most regularly is " . . . and these idiots are eventually going to breed!" We watch too many news programs . . .
Old 08-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Are you dead yet?

" . . . and these idiots are eventually going to breed!" ROFLMAO

Actually I haven't written to Animal Planet about that show.. I probably should before school starts and I forget all about it.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:15 PM
Alpha Dog

They need to let the animals run the network for awhile. I think they would do a better job

No dsl
I would be doomed...

Chazhound
Old 08-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Are you dead yet?

No dsl
I would be doomed...

Ditto
Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip's Girl
No dsl
I would be doomed...

Ditto
I'm the world's only redhead with documented patience.