Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Playful Husky Pup

Default Dog Aggression Info

Just thought this was interesting

http://leerburg.com/aggresiv.htm

I don't however like how he labels wolf hybreds "kid killers"

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Interesting, but not terribly enlightened. I think someone ought to "dominate" this guy for a while and see how he likes it!

Sorry, I just REALLY resent "experts" that perpetuate unproductive stereotypes about dogs.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Playful Husky Pup

me too that exactly why i posted it to have someone else prove my point . He's a typical guy I think.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Island dweller

now now guys don't like to be stereotyped either.

Of course, it MAY be true. LOL
Old 02-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Big German Shepherd

He says that letting your dog on furniture can lead to your dog dominant and dog aggressive. He seems a little hard on dogs from what I've read from all the articles.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Felurian

ROFL! Yeah, my girls and Bimmer have SOOOO many aggression and dominance issues. Right. If laying on the furniture caused those problems mine would be slavering killers by now . . .

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny: "What a marroon!"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-17-2005, 03:41 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I want my dogs on the furniture..mary's bones are old and the floor is the worst place for her..besides I like sitting beside them..anyway there isn't a mean or aggressive bone in any of my dogs..especially Bronki who was rocked in the rocking chair..that was our most favorite place.. where do these people come up with this stuff...I do believe that playing to roughly with a pup especially in weeks 4-8 can make a dog very aggressive. If they are treated as babies, and loved as children, i don't think a dog would ever be aggressive...unless provoked.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

If your social standing in your dog's eyes is so low that letting him on the furniture allows him to usurp your position, you have WAY more to worry about than a snotty dog!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:18 PM
MIiA

At the risk of sounding like a 'typical guy' , some of what was said probably should make for manditory reading - like his bit on small dogs. In another spot he says being too agressive isn't the right answer - which I certainly agree with. On the other hand, sayings like 'make him think he's about to die and the devil himself is on the other end of the leash' doesn't exactly get my vote of approval either. It seems the main philosophy is dominate or be dominated. Kind of like it's you against the dog instead of you being WITH the dog.

Now keep in mind Jake is my first dog since childhood so I'm about the farthest thing from an expert on this board, or likely any other place - virtual or other - that you'll ever come across. With that said, I've done pretty good teaching Jake what behaviours I like and curbing him from behaviors I don't approve of - and never once has he felt like he was about to die or that the devil himself was on the other end of the leash. I haven't crate-trained or clicker-trained or beaten him either. It's been by spending the time with him that he needs and even more time because I want to. He learned to sit, stay, come and lie-down without any strings attached (or a leash for that matter).

On the matter of growling when people come over, Jake will growl at my mother because she's in the habit of walking in without knocking instead of being let in - and quite frankly, I'm not about to change Jake's behavior in that regard - On the contrary, if someone walks in without my wife or me letting them in, I certainly hope he growls or barks to let me know what's happening - and perhaps that makes me a bad person - but (imho) quite frankly it's a matter of re-training my mother - not Jake...afterall, Jake lives here - my mother doesn't.

Just my 0.02
Old 02-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Felurian

Andrew, I think I can say this safely from all of us women - CONSIDER YOURSELF HUGGED! You sound like a great doggy-dad and a great husband!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian