Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Club Terrible - President

Agreed.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
All my dogs growing up and Kaylee were rescued in some form or another. It was nice while I didn't have any real idea of what kinds of dogs I liked or wanted.

Kaylee though really made me want to not go a rescue route again because of her nerve issues, health issues and basically her not being compatible with what I want.

After that was about when I decided I wanted a purebred dog and then tried to figure out breeds. Once I settled on a Koolie it was pretty much settled that he would be from a breeder.

And no, I didn't ever really feel any guilt about it.

I feel more guilt with Kaylee because she isn't what I wanted before I knew what I wanted and I feel like I got frustrated with her more than she deserves because of who she is.
This is kind of why I don't wanna go rescue. I have a few friends who are very pro-rescue, will never own a breeder dog, which is fine... but for example, this one friend has 2 rescue dogs. One she got as a pup, the other as a 1 year old. The pup has grown up to be kinda nervy, and he also just started having seizures at 2, plus a few other health issues. The 1 year old ended up being nothing like she was at the shelter and they just don't really 'mesh' well. My step-moms rescue dog has a lot of issues that crept up a few weeks after we brought him home too. I know there's chances of these things happening with a pup from a breeder as well, but I just like the idea of having the support of a good breeder who really knows her dogs and her lines, and can help you along the way.

I don't feel guilty one bit about choosing to go breeder route in the future. I have very specific wants and needs. I also want a puppy, not an adult, and I'd never get a puppy through rescue, too many unknowns as far as temperament issues goes.

Brit & Jackson

Last edited by JacksonsMom; 07-12-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:30 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
This is kind of why I don't wanna go rescue. I have a few friends who are very pro-rescue, will never own a breeder dog, which is fine... but for example, this one friend has 2 rescue dogs. One she got as a pup, the other as a 1 year old. The pup has grown up to be kinda nervy, and he also just started having seizures at 2, plus a few other health issues. The 1 year old ended up being nothing like she was at the shelter and they just don't really 'mesh' well. My step-moms rescue dog has a lot of issues that crept up a few weeks after we brought him home too. I know there's chances of these things happening with a pup from a breeder as well, but I just like the idea of having the support of a good breeder who really knows her dogs and her lines, and can help you along the way.

I don't feel guilty one bit about choosing to go breeder route in the future. I have very specific wants and needs. I also want a puppy, not an adult, and I'd never get a puppy through rescue, too many unknowns as far as temperament issues goes.
That's what I did & although I love Josefina, if I could go back in time & stop my past-self from adopting her ... I would (I know that's terrible but it's how I feel). She has temperament problems, behavioral problems due bad breeding & bad start in life (orphan, no mom).

Buddy, I would do again for sure, he's my love bug

Old 07-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Obey the Toad.

The thing is that everytime you bring an animal into your home it's a gamble. Even pups from good breeders can have health issues, temperament issues, or just grow up to have a personality that doesn't mesh with yours.

Yes, rescue dogs are more of a gamble that responsible breeders (the definition of which varies greatly, BTW), but there are no guarantees in life.

As to why I care where people get their dogs--I care because in the big picture of dog ownership, it matters. It's not that I think a pet store puppy or the $150 unregistered blue "pittbull" puppy is unworthy of love and a good home, it's that behaviors that get rewarded are likely to get repeated. The more puppies that pet stores and shifty breeders sell, the more likely said breeders are to continue breeding. That, IMHO, hurts dogdom in general.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing? Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Quinn is from a responsible breeder. I wanted to buy because i wanted to raise him from a pup ( rescues are fairly rare in this breed), and because I wanted a puppy I could show.

Alot of my dogs are rescues We still help out with transports, home visits ect here and there for rescues in our state and area.

I felt no guilt, I know he came from a wonderful breeder!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

This can be such a controversial, emotional topic.

I have had far more dogs from breeders than rescues but have had both. Everyone has their reason for preferring one or the other but IMO that's all it is, someone's personal ideas about the subject which may or may not reflect reality or mesh with someone else's personal ideas. I don't see why anyone should feel guilty about where they choose to get their dog, it's your dog and you should get the dog you really want and that best suits you.

I had a well bred GSD who had temperament issues and didn't live to see his third birthday. One of my other well bred (but unrelated) GSDs lived into old age and was always very healthy and had an excellent temperament but had several siblings with serious health issues and her mother developed a serious health issues when she was middle aged. I have two well bred Belgians who developed more minor but definitely genetic health issues (a mother and daughter). My pound rescue mixed breed had a more minor genetic health issue too. Dogs are living creatures and stuff happens. Sometimes genetics work in your favor and sometimes they don't. Going to a breeder who health tests can definitely weigh the odds in your favor against diseases in that breed that are able to be tested for. Diseases that are not able to be tested for though...breeders do what they can with the knowledge they have at the time of the breeding but those problems are a lot trickier. And certainly in some breeds where there's widespread serious health issues and/or a generally short life expectancy, a random bred dog from a shelter is probably going to be healthier than a well bred purebred of that breed. Otherwise, I have known purebreds (well bred and not) who lived to be very, very old and were extremely healthy. I have known mixed breeds who lived to be very, very old and were extremely healthy. And dogs of both who did not and were not.

Wanting a dog with a certain temperament/character are big reasons to choose a certain breed and a certain breeder for sure. That isn't to say you couldn't find what you were looking for in a rescue but the more specific the needs are, the harder it is especially in the more popular pet bred breeds where there's a big difference between the pet type and more carefully bred types. And of course, in some breeds finding a rescue dog is difficult and that isn't even taking into account temperament or age or suitability for you. There's generally fewer than a dozen Groenendael in rescue each year. And many of those dogs are older and most are best suited as companions.That goes for Tervs too. And you'd be hard pressed to find a Laeken in rescue anywhere. Same with PyrSheps.

The two rescue dogs in this household are just as good as the well bred dogs in terms of structure, drive and suitability for sports. Ziggy was adopted from a shelter and is very intense and crazy and driven. If I were to look for a well bred Cardi, I'd want one like him. His structure isn't perfect but he's 10 and still extremely sound, which I think is the best you can ask for in any dog. Roust is...well Roust. He does have an issue with strangers touching him but then, so does my friend's well bred Mal. He's crazy driven, fearless and almost too willing when it comes to trying any sport I've asked him to try. In every day life , he's a typical doofy, dorky, overly devoted Belgian boy. Mals like him aren't all that uncommon in Mal rescue, in fact most of his litter ended up there. That doesn't mean people should feel guilty for wanting a Mal from a good breeder though, who carefully raises and socializes and imprints and really gets to know their puppies before they go to their new homes. Like I said, for me "because that's what I want for my next dog" is a good enough reason for choosing to go to a breeder over a rescue.

I support both rescuing and breeding, I know people who will never have a dog from a breeder and people who will never have a rescue. I also know plenty of people who have been on one side or another of the "never have a _______" debate who...well now have what they never would have

For me personally, rescues don't tend to be as ideal because I strongly prefer raising puppies and strongly prefer to decide myself when and if dogs of mine are altered. And my involvement in dog has long been on the buying from a breeder/breeding my own side of things since I am also involved in showing and interested in having breeding quality dogs. I feel more good, educated breeders are needed, especially in my lower number breed. In terms of "overpopulation", I think it's an issue in certain pockets of the country and/or with certain breeds. Here, we have too many pit bulls. The pounds/shelters have an abundance of pits and pit mixes all the time and they are not exactly an easy breed to fit into a lot of pet homes. I don't know what the answer is for pit bulls and I don't pretend to. But I also don't see how what dogs I choose to bring into my home would have any effect on homeless pit bulls at my county pound.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

I just photographed 25 dogs at animal control today.. so I get why many are very pro adoption. However, I'll still be getting my next dog from a reputable breeder.

I feel like I do my part for rescue animals. I foster kittens. I photograph shelter dogs once a week and dedicate hours upon hours editing, uploading and sharing their pictures. Would I adopt a dog? Sure, but my next dog will be my conformation dog so that's obviously not an option with a shelter dog.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Glutton for Crazy

In my experience my breeder bought dogs have been far more predictable in both health and temperament. There will always be extremes, in fact they are required, but an established line in the hands of an educated breeder is a lot more reliable than "every dog is a gamble".
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
When it is time for me to acquire my next service dog prospect, I will not have the space for a washout. I will not have the money or resources to keep a washout. I don't want to have the perfect puppy grow up to be the wrong size, or develop a career-ending ailment.
This is exactly where I was at before I got Logan, and that is exactly why I went through a breeder. Could I have found something in rescue that would have worked? Probably, especially considering I had the resources to ship the dog in from anywhere in the country. But it was STILL a risk. I actually did look in rescue, and found a few dogs that MAY have worked...but in the end I just wasn't willing to risk it. The number of dogs in rescue suitable to be service dog candidates are very low, percentage-wise, and those that will make it through training are even lower (and considering what you do, I'm sure you're acutely aware of this). If you have the resources to try again if you don't make it the first time - and that means money and space as well as TIME - time is usually a big issue, especially when it's a successor dog.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Strangely the mal rescue was responding to an inquiry on their FB group reminding the interested party that these dogs are more often than not found in rescue due to not being the most ideal sport dogs. They happen, sure, but more often than not those competitive sporting homes aren't where they are placing dogs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.