Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Yes, sometimes it's "nature VS nurture".

Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I still don't see why people care so much about where others get their dogs from. A dog given a good life is a dog given a good life. Sure not every "well bred" dog is a gleaming example of the breed and not every "rescued" dog was on death's doorstep either before they were "saved". I fail to see what any of that has to do with anything. love the dogs you have and give them all you can the rest is just fluff
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Both my dogs are rescues, and they both came with a set of behavioral issues - however, most of the issues were not completely unknown to me when I adopted them. I love them dearly, and wouldn't trade them for anything.

As for future dogs, I'm undecided. I'm playing around with a lot of options, but my next dog is hopefully a long time away so I'm not committed to anything. I've considered a couple unique breeds that would most likely come from a breeder, but I would love an adult rehome. I've also looked at release dogs from service dog organizations. So I really don't know.

As for other people? If you're happy with your dog, and take good care of them, then that's what really matters - not where you got the dog from. Rescue, shelter, responsible breeder, private rehome, whatever - it's all about what was best for you at the time. I completely support people making educated choices when they look for a pet.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

We've talked about this before but...

From Stardog's article she wrote:

"A third dog would mean no more fostering and no more additions for at least 10 years, so I knew I wanted to get "that dog" - the one that I could do anything I wanted to with and one that would fit seamlessly with the current household animals (and humans)."

^This is what goes through my head every time I think I want to keep Lucy. Or I see a cute cattle dog in a shelter. THIS WILL BE MY LAST DOG FOR A LONG TIME. NO MORE (minus Josh's bird dog). I want one without drive problems. Without weird quirks. Without a fear of the stairs. Without, without, without. I love and support rescue. I think they do great things. Obviously, I have a foster and a rescue of my own. However, my BYB is stable as a rock. We got really lucky. No, I don't plan to go through BYB again, but I feel it made a big difference. When you know what they saw/met during those crucial weeks of socialization, you've got it. I know what will happen when I put her in a situation. I don't always know with Lucy and Rider.

I want specific things in my next ACD. I've done my research for three years, and now I'm waiting another two-three because I want a certain bitch. I talked with many, many people and have tried to be very active in the community of my breed. I LOVE MY BREEDER AND THE DOGS SHE PRODUCES. Could I find something in rescue that fit the bill? Probably. How long would it take? :shrug: I don't know. Obviously puppies are not foolproof. WE ALL REALIZE THIS. Things go wrong. But at least I will have the chance to try to turn it around.

I will rescue again. And again. And again. And will foster until our numbers get too high. I plan on always having one adult rescue in the house. However, that's my limit. We always seem to attract shy, semi-unstable dogs and that's fine. We are a good place to bring them out of their shell, but not more than one at a time. I'm okay with that. I feel good about that. I plan on rescuing my next horse. I hope to foster children in the future.

You have to go with what feels right for Y.O.U. No one else. I didn't mean for that post to be a novel.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I was thinking about this topic more last night and wanted to add a couple things.

Everyone knows how much I love Bamm. His problems aside, he really is a neat dog and I do love him. But... And this is a very big BUT, having Cricket and Joey as a part of the equation has really helped me understand more and more that Bamm may not have been the best match for me honestly. This doesn't mean that Cricket and Joe have replaced Bamm's spot in my heart or anything, but they have helped me gain a better perspective on what I want and what I need in a dog. I will mainly be sticking with Ibizans from here on out as I really think this breed is a really good match for me. I know I'm going to lose friends when I get my next dog because I plan to buy(which may be sooner than I've planned since I've really been itching to show). I may end up with a puppy from a breeder or I may end up with a young adult that already has some show ring and coursing experience. We'll see.

I have a couple friends that are so pro rescue that they think breeders are evil and are the problem. It's the people that dump their dogs that are the problem and the BYBs/puppy mills NOT the responsible breeders.

When Josh eventually gets his hunting dog down the road we will go through a breeder for that dog as well.

This doesn't mean I will never ever rescue. I may always have one or two rescues and I may foster at some point, but from here on out I would have to REALLY know the rescue dog before I'd be ok with that dog in my home permanently. My dogs must be ok in crates. My dogs must be ok with dogs. My dogs must be ok around cats. My dogs must be fine with kids. My dogs must not be fearful and must not be aggressive or overly reactive with strangers. Going through a breeder and knowing my future dog's lineage and health I feel like I honestly stack the odds in my favor.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
It's the people that dump their dogs that are the problem and the BYBs/puppy mills NOT the responsible breeders.
Yes, exactly. Dogs aren't primarily in shelters because there aren't enough homes for them, but because those homes don't keep them.

Again, I don't have anything against rescue. And when the time comes, it will be a struggle for me to decide what to do. Not that I am highly connected or anything, but there is literally one musher I know of whose husbandry and future breeding practices I'm completely comfortable with and unfortunately that number is not very likely to expand. So if I want an Alaskan puppy my options will be pretty limited. There are always adult sled dogs getting moved around, "retired," etc and there is a husky specific rescue here but I don't know that I will want an adult or a pure bred Sibe.

It's several years off, and who knows if I'll even be skijoring by then. But I'll cross the bridge when I get there and I'll be way too old to feel guilty over something like this.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Sassafras when it's time look at shelters/SPCA/rescues in Northern Alberta/BC because that is pretty much all we have are mushers dogs. While most still kill their cast offs a few have allowed rescues to take them. If you do want to look into adopting that is.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yes, exactly. Dogs aren't primarily in shelters because there aren't enough homes for them, but because those homes don't keep them.
What about places like my shelter (primarily rural southern shelters in general) that have mostly young (6 weeks mostly) litters of puppies come in. My shelter literally has 20 + litters right now, and get in new ones every single day. Thanks to low cost spay/neuter, adoption promotion, and sending to shelters in the north where there aren't really puppies, we don't generally kill for space anymore, but would you not say that is regional overpopulation?

Note that I plan on getting my next dog from a breeder (I do however plan on fostering at the same time) I just like giving a different perspective, as most people on these forums live in the north, where there really is no overpopulation.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Play that funky music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post

I just like giving a different perspective, as most people on these forums live in the north, where there really is no overpopulation.
Eh, I would not say that. There is an overabundance of pit bulls that get euth'd very frequently, because everyone who wants a pittie, has a pittie already. So, we bring up dogs from the south.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Top Dog

I don't think it matters where you live, really. There is ALWAYS overpopulation and dogs that need to be saved.