Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
One issue that I have that may prevent rescue for me in the future is that I can't really get behind pediatric spay/neuter, which is becoming more and more common up here. I understand why rescues/shelters do it, but I really want to be able to make the decision about when/if myself, especially if I continue skijoring and scootering.

That decision is many years in the future, though. So who knows what will have changed by then.
That's something that's been going through my head as well, lately.

I hope nobody took it as my insinuating that one SHOULD feel guilty for buying over rescuing, that was not my intention at all. It was just an honest question, since I know a lot of rescuers try to use guilt to prevent people from buying.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
aka RedHotBabe

Previous dog is the reason current dog is from a breeder. Rumor is extremely healthy and does not act her age. She's absolutely perfect. Duke was younger than Rumor when he passed, and he acted like a senior. I loved him, but his temperament wasn't something I wanted to deal with again. I don't feel guilty at all about bringing Rumor home.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Glutton for Crazy

It's a fair question. I obviously stressed over buying from a breeder, like I imagine you are, but I can't say I felt guilt after the fact. The pros outweigh any cons, for me, and the devotion is nothing short of amazing, another con fed that rescues love you more than a bought dog can. A good dog is where you find it but I prefer stacking the odds in my favor.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Well, my dogs up until now have all either been adopted or rescued, but I've made up my mind to go through a breeder for my next ACD. I'll always support rescues and help where I can, and probably adopt again in the future, but with both Ma'ii and Charlotte's issues, my main reasons for wanting to go through a breeder is I want a dog of good sound temperament and health that a good breeder strives for.

As for guilt...it flip flops, even though I know there's nothing to feel guilty about.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

I know this is aimed at people who buy, but I wanted to put my penneth in

I found a litter of Deerhound puppies in 2009 from a good breeder. She'd had an owner fall through, and had a gorgeous girly needing a home. She was what I wanted and perfect! I booked her, around 3 weeks before she was ready. Almost as soon as I got off the phone I immediately felt guilty. I felt like I was denying a retired greyhound a home, and I couldn't sleep for days with the thought of it. I really did just feel awful. So so bad, I can't even explain it.

In the end I phoned and cancelled my booking. Lost my deposit, but I know I ddi the right thing because if I got that Deerhound I wouldn't have got Maddy, who was my absolute heart and soul. It was meant to be!

I know now I couldn't go to a breeder. I just cannot knowing there are dogs sitting in kennels without a home. All I look for in a dog is a good pet, I don't need it to have a fancy name, title or wonderful at tricks.

I can understand a lot of people DO want those things, but I personally wouldn't support a breeder. Next time I want a specific breed, other than a greyhound. Rarely do Cocker Spaniels or Shetland Sheepdogs come up in rescue, but I'm happy to wait

My Photos
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It's a fair question. I obviously stressed over buying from a breeder, like I imagine you are, but I can't say I felt guilt after the fact. The pros outweigh any cons, for me, and the devotion is nothing short of amazing, another con fed that rescues love you more than a bought dog can. A good dog is where you find it but I prefer stacking the odds in my favor.
lol, a dog is a dog and will love you just the same. I had a scare with Em's eyes earlier this year that realllly implanted the thought into my head. Between Copper's weird phobias, Shadow's... everything (that's unfair, Shadow really is just not the right dog for me, but she is the right dog for my parents and will be living out her days here), Bloo's issues that could have been managed much better had I had her from puppyhood... y'know. I really love rescue, the people involved, not so much.

When it is time for me to acquire my next service dog prospect, I will not have the space for a washout. I will not have the money or resources to keep a washout. I don't want to have the perfect puppy grow up to be the wrong size, or develop a career-ending ailment. If I had gotten my new prospect say, last year, it wouldn't have been a concern. I have a financially stable living arrangement right now. I don't need to worry about landlords right now. However, very soon, I will. I'm hoping to add my next prospect within the next 2-3 years, hopefully.

However,
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahHound View Post
I felt like I was denying a retired greyhound a home, and I couldn't sleep for days with the thought of it. I really did just feel awful. So so bad, I can't even explain it.
is a very major concern for me. That sounds like exactly what I'd end up doing, replacing "retired greyhound" with "death row dog". I really appreciate you adding your two cents, Sarah!

It's freaking STRESSFUL. I'll always continue to use rescues to train for others, or donated dogs, but it's something I'm really struggling with it for myself.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Past dogs are why I went with a breeder too. Happy turned out to have been from a puppymill. Kota was a rescue. I loved them both and still miss them every day. But Happy was a real mess and I just couldn't deal with that again. If I DID go rescue, it would be to get a senior like Kota, and I wanted a baby dog.

After Auggie I was sold on these dogs. Payton came into my life because he was a relative, more than anything I WANTED a relative. At some point I will probably be getting dogs that are not relatives and it will be tough because these lines are amazing and I'm hard pressed to be that wowed by anything else.

I didn't feel guilty about it and still don't and can't see ever feeling guilty about it.

I will more than likely rescue again, but like I said above, it will probably be a senior sheltie. It will be when I'm not seeking out another sport dog and want something young and spry. Or it will be a case where a dog of some of the other breeds I like will be in rescue or something at just the right time. So far I have seen two dogs come through rescue, one I REALLY wanted and still think about, but it just wasn't the right time.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Vizsla mom

We 'rescued' Squirt from a puppy mill ..as close to a rescue as we ever got. He'll be 20 in August& I just didn't want something else that would live that long Squirt is mean like a bear. If he didn't only weigh 5lbs, he'd have been put to sleep a long time ago. His small size made him manageable for my clueless family.

I love him to pieces, but for my next dog I was definitely ready for a kid friendly, take anywhere, medium sized dog! Lots of research lead me to Vizsla and I hadn't had a puppy since I was 6 and I was desperate for a puppy so off we went to find a breeder and wait wait wait for my puppy to be born!

She's everything I could have asked for and more. I feel no guilt over buying her, although around here rescue is EVERYTHING and I catch a lot of comments about do I realize how many animals I could have done good for if I took the money paid for her& donated it to the SPCA.

I will probably foster but never adopt.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
I wanted something specific in my next dog (herding instinct was the main thing, but there were many others too).

I also wanted to know the lineage of next dog.

In addition to these things, I haven't had the greatest time with Lizzie. She's had her issues. I mean, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade her for the world, she's made it SO clear she's MY dog, and she likes that. But my relationship with Lizzie is much different than mine with Blaze. Maybe a good word for it would be harder? I don't know.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
Yes. Lizzie is from an animal shelter.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Not a single bit. I think both purchasing from a rescue or a breeder have their place, and each must choose what is right for them.

I don't think people should feel guilty at all for choosing a responsible breeder over rescue. I think you should try to get the dog that is right for you, and that doesn't always mean a rescue.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
I was looking at local shelters and breeders at the same time, and found what I was looking for in a dog with a breeder first. I was/am pretty picky about the kind of dog I like (in terms of temperament) and I wasn't confident enough to choose a dog from a shelter as a puppy, and none of the adults I met were quite what I wanted. There were a lot of (really great) pit mixes, but they weren't quite what I was looking for, lots of dogs that were too small or too large to fit into my lifestyle, and lots of dogs I just didn't click with.

I looked at shelters and breeders at the same time, and ended up finding Elsie's breeder first.

Quote:
Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
I have not. I did not. I only have one available 'dog' slot in my home, and I don't want to fill that with a dog that isn't compatible with me.