Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
One issue that I have that may prevent rescue for me in the future is that I can't really get behind pediatric spay/neuter, which is becoming more and more common up here. I understand why rescues/shelters do it, but I really want to be able to make the decision about when/if myself, especially if I continue skijoring and scootering.

That decision is many years in the future, though. So who knows what will have changed by then.
My advice would be to get involved with a local rescue. I have a friend whose part of Aussie rescue who was allowed to keep her boy pup intact until 12 months I think? She's an active member, so was likely therefore afforded more say in something like this, and considered more trustworthy.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
I needed a sure thing, or as close to one as I could get. I needed a service dog, and if this dog failed, I wouldn't get another chance until one of my dogs passed away (I was and still am unwilling to rehome a dog because they failed to pan out as a service dog..they're still my pets and I still love them, and I could never part with either of them). So I needed the best chance possible that my dog would actually become a service dog. Enter Logan, who I actually found on Chaz thanks to Romy (actually, she pointed out his brother, and then the breeder offeredme Logan as a better fit). He was the right age (1 year old), healthy, just the right amount of drive, already was geared towards working (wilderness SAR), fantastic temperament, basic training already started, short haired...basically, he was the perfect dog at the perfect time.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
Yes, Gavroche is a rescue. He was not from a shelter, but an actual rescue - he was a stray for months until one of our clients at the clinic took him in, then he lived outside for a couple weeks, and she just couldn't keep him since she already had several dogs, and two very sick ones. He was boarding at the clinic for a few weeks before I was able to finalize that I could indeed have him. The same lady that rescued him is the one I dogsat for for 6 months 2 years ago (it was really neat, because he was SO at home there instantly, he must have remembered living there before lol).

Shelters just turn me off, for many reasons. IF I were to get a rescue in the future, it would either be a true rescue (like Gavroche), or from a breed-specific rescue that would be willing to work with me regarding spay/neuter (either allowing me to leave them intact, or allowing me to get a vasectomy or OSS done in lieu of a full spay or neuter). And of course said rescue would have to be okay with me having other intact dogs, which is probably the most difficult part.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Nope! None at all.

Quote:
The world needs well bred dogs, they exist for a reason

Last edited by Saeleofu; 07-11-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

I'm honestly just not a rescue dog person. It'd have to be just the right dog. We've had rescues in the past, and a couple of not very good experiences that kind of deterred me from adopting future dogs. Winston was amazing though and was our first dog from rescue, but still, I prefer raising my dogs from puppyhood and I prefer to know that said puppy has come from a known background and has been raised well from the get go.

I feel no regret at all about my dogs from responsible breeders. It's definitely the right decision for me. I love getting to know my breeder and my dogs' relatives, and while it's not fool proof, I like knowing that my dogs come from health cleared lineage, I like knowing that my breeder cares enough to choose a dog for me based on temperament so that I have the best chance at getting the dog I want, etc. I like to have a good idea about something before I commit to it, with anything in life, and the same goes for when I buy a dog.

If I go the rescue route in the future, it'll be fostering. That I can do and would actually really like to do. But I can't see myself keeping many rescues.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
No reason in particular. I was 85% sure that I wanted a puppy (although I was open to an adult) and I had a particular look/type and breed in mind. My first experience with "dog people" was through forums, and from the moment I joined almost all of the discussions and questions I had were about breeders. So that's where the majority of my research went into, and from there I started picking and choosing between breeders, contacting them, and visiting them. Eventually I had a deposit down and that was that.

Now, I would absolutely go to a breeder for my breed of choice. Maybe in the future I'll adopt an adult or (preferably) senior German Shepherd, but as far as foreseeable plans go it will always be a breeder dog. The more experience I have with the breed the choosier I am about the type of dog I want. And if I can stack the odds in my favor and get the temperament, drives, nerves, and looks that I love, that's exactly what I'll do.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
No, my current dog is my first and only dog.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Oh geez, no! Not in the slightest. And for the most part, I haven't heard many negative comments about my having purchased him. I do hear generalized comments about rescuing over purchasing from a breeder, but nothing directly related to my own dog/decision. One family friend did say it was a "bit of a shame" that we bought from a breeder instead of adopting from a shelter/rescue, but that was all she said and she's been the only one.

I'd love to adopt an older adult or senior dog one day, but my next... 3 or 4 dogs will probably be from breeders.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:07 AM
*Now with Snark*

I wanted a very particular dog so no... not just any dog would do. I looked for a long time - a very long time. No I didn't feel any guilt over it. I am very picky and I expect to live with my dogs a very long time.

Honestly rescue just isn't my thing. There aren't a ton of toy breeds with my selection criteria available in rescue.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:56 AM
Original Twin

Well Nico was SUPPOSED to be from a breeder, but he's a rescue. Let me rephrase...When I was looking for a sport prospect, I knew I wanted either a Malinois or a Dutch shepherd and in fact was on a waiting list for a Dutch pup. Then my friend got word that one of her foster pups was coming back. I knew his momma, and my friend had lamented from the time I met her that Nico would have been perfect for me, so I took myself off the wait list to meet him and give him a chance. Fate rules sometimes, and he is exactly the dog I've always wanted.

No, I don't feel guilty.

NEXT dog will almost certainly be coming from a breeder. Finally.

I won't feel guilty about that, either.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I wanted Papillons. There are none in shelters.

I rescued Lilly, she was the best dog ever. She was also always sick. My Paps are healthy as horses. No structural problems at all, not so much as a limp, ever. I don't want to deal with health problems again.

Guilt? Nope. Don't like dogs from breeders? Don't buy one. Your problem is not mine.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing? Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

Rick and I were talking about it earlier; those were a couple of the questions that came up.
I wanted to rescue. Other half firmly didn't. He never says no so I knew he was serious. My compromise was we buy, I pick... Lol.

Yes I feel guilty. But I've enjoyed the experience of searching, contacting, getting to know the breeder, talking to people who own the same breed (and siblings to Fred!!).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing? Have you rescued before? Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
I wanted to stack the odds in my favor of getting a dog with a compatible temperament, lol. My sister's dog, who she adopted from a rescue as a puppy, is now a 3 year old and there is a reason we still call him Rufus. He is just the kind of dog that will get all worked up and run into walls, bang his head off cabinets, just generally has no sense of body awareness. I like her dog, but he is NOT the kind of dog for me and I wanted a better guarantee of temperament.

I kind of did as a kid. Peco was a breeder bought, shipped up to Ohio and then his first owners did not want to deal with the hook worms he had so they gave him to a rescue. My mom and I both worked at the vet clinic so met him the first time they brought him in. When we heard he had been given to a rescue we went and got him.

No, I don't feel guilty at all.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

First three/four dogs I had we're from BYBs. They were "gifts" from my parents and after begging for years to get a dog, I wasn't going to say no after having them home.

When I went looking for my own dog (Jack) I opted for a rescue puppy. I likely wouldn't get a rescue puppy again, too many unknowns with look, size, temperament, health, etc.

I do love rescue because you can get an adult dog and know exactly what you're going to get. Crossbone had been everything we were wanting and expecting. If we opt for a rescue again, I'd definitely get an adult.

If I wanted a puppy, and I think that I really do, I'd go to a breeder and stack the odds in my favor because I'll need all the help that I can get!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier