Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Top Dog

I bought my first Shiba because I needed a dog I could leave at home while I was working and wasn't going to loose its mind. I wanted smaller, quiet, easy to house train, Shiba for all if these. I got Tonka because I thought I had found 'breed' I failed lol. But I wanted to show, thus needed a purebred.

Guilty, nope, wouldn't now even. Although if I get another purebred from a reputable breeder it will be so I show again.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I bought because I show and do ckc agility. I cant do that with a rescue.

I dont know if I would ever rescue. Nothing against them its just not fair the go with other dogs all the time to ckc events and never take the rescue.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Growing up we had both rescue dogs and dogs bought from breeders though I'm almost positive they weren't responsible breeders since I doubt my parents would take the time to do their research. They probably just found an add in the newspaper for puppies and went from there.

Since I've been out on my own all of mine have been rescues. My next dog will be from a responsible breeder. I have specific requirements for next dog.
I want to stack the odds in my favor health wise therefore I want a dog from health tested parents, who also came from health tested parents, etc etc. I like the idea of knowing my dog's heritage. I really want the support of having a breeder I can stay in contact, go to with questions, etc. I'm planning to show next dog and I require that my next dog come from a breeder that actively lure courses their dogs. I'm also planning on eventually breeding Ibizans so I want a dog that is an excellent representation of the breed as a whole.

Do I feel guilty that I want to buy next time around instead of rescue. Nope. Can't show, breed a rescue... and Ibizans aren't exactly super easy to come by in rescue.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 PM
Top Dog

I've bought because I was looking for a specific look and history. And I wanted to show in AKC.
No I didn't feel guilty with buying from a breeder.
I will probably have both again.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM
orange iguanas.

I went breeder route because I wanted a certain breed, a certain look, I wanted to mold my dog. I need a dog that is cat, kid, and other dog friendly, and while we did explore the rescue option at first, most dogs that we liked were not good with all 3. I also just don't like all the hoops rescues want you to jump through.

I have rescued, I feel absolutely zero guilt for getting a dog from a good breeder and that will likely be where most of my dogs come from.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?

I got Pirate because I wanted a dog that I could show in conformation. I had been in connection with his breeder for years and she had the line of dogs I was interested in. She and her husband produce consistent dogs that place in nearly every show. He just turned a year old and I'm very happy with him. Took him to his first show last month and he placed very well!

Have you rescued before?

Yes and I will most likely continue to rescue throughout my life. I will have more Great Danes someday and I plan on all of them being rescues. But likely, all of my APBTs will be from breeders. I also really, really want a kelpie and that dog will be from a breeder as well.

Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?

No, not really. I had more issues with the way I acquired Bayleigh (through the shelter but it wasn't a pleasant scene). After I got Pirate home, I lost some rescue "friends" and others just gave me a hard time.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
What was your reasoning for buying vs rescuing?
To be honest... the first dog I bought from a responsible breeder was for aesthetics. I wanted a gorgeous dog, and finding a "gorgeous, correct representative of the breed" in rescue is not easy. I knew I wanted a dobe, so it was either breed rescue or a breeder. Thank goodness I did my research and went with a good breeder right away, instead of making a 'rookie mistake' and going with a BYB. Also, I was 16 years old... probably not a very attractive home to most rescues.

Quote:
Have you rescued before?
No, rescuing came later. However, my rescue dog was also specifically picked with looks and temperament in mind... which is why my rescue dog came from a different country, 1800 miles away from my home. Talla is a rescue, but in my mind she is just as 'purebred' as my Dobermans.

Quote:
Did you feel any guilt for purchasing?
Absolutely not.

I also didn't feel guilty for importing a rescue dog, despite many people who tried to make me feel horrible about it. (How dare you rescue a dog from Mexico when there are local dogs you could have adopted! Bow to her, bow to your Queen of Slime...)

It's my money, my life, my decision. No sense feeling guilty for what works best for your situation.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)

Last edited by SizzleDog; 07-10-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: whoops, apparently I leave out words when I'm tipsy. Ha.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

I can't emphasize enough how awesome it is buying a dog from a good, caring breeder is. The breeder I bought bear from & I are still friends, we still talk daily even though she doesn't actively breed anymore, I was ESP sad to hear about bear's mom's passing & with his daddy dead too his litter is the last of their linage .

I also rescue, & the fuzzy feeling I feel doing that comes from THAT dog I rescued not the fact THAT I rescued because to that one dog I made a difference to him, now HE can have a good life & will not die in a shelter

I have gotten some heat on Facebook because for nextdog I plan to purchase from a good breeder instead of rescuing ... But I have my reasons for doing so this time. I love rescuing but not knowing a puppy/dog's background makes it hard sometimes & this time I want to know where my rascal came from, how he was brought up & who his parents were.

I don't judge people for rescuing, & I don't judge those who buy from good breeders, we all have our reasons for doing both. But I do recommend rescue as an option when appropriate & I will steer folks away from bad breeders & pet stores. THEY are the ones who ad to the problem ... Not good breeders.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:31 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

My reasoning was because the litter had dogs available, it was from a person who I felt VERY comfortable buying from, and....I dunno, I wanted one? Lol She is everything I expected and more <3

I don't honestly see myself ever getting dogs from breeders that I don't know personally/Internet. I just have a whole bunch of trust issues with breeders. And rescues, which is why I will only foster to adopt if I go the rescue route. Fortunately for me I don't plan on adding another dog for another 7+ years, so I'm not worrying about it right now.

I don't feel bad at all for choosing to buy Siri.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:57 AM
such sights to show you

One issue that I have that may prevent rescue for me in the future is that I can't really get behind pediatric spay/neuter, which is becoming more and more common up here. I understand why rescues/shelters do it, but I really want to be able to make the decision about when/if myself, especially if I continue skijoring and scootering.

That decision is many years in the future, though. So who knows what will have changed by then.