Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Because people want a household pet where the genetic health of the parents/line is known, want to raise a puppy, and want to have an idea of how that pup will turn out? Because they're not equipped for potential baggage of an adult, or because their needs in a pet are met by a breed that's very uncommon in rescue? Or because they want to have say/control of if and when the animal is sexually altered?

My mom got Ollie as household pet and nothing more. I mean, they jog with him but almost any dog can do that. She still sought him out from a breeder for all of the reasons listed above and more. He has been absolutely perfect for my parents and their household.

I'm very uncomfortable with the attitude that one should "need" the dog for "something" in order to buy from a breeder. I think that's unfair to pet owners.
I did not mean that "pet" owners should never go the breeder route at all. I just feel like a lot of homes automatically rule out rescue without even thinking about it at all.. obviously if it is an educated and thought out decision then whatever is best for your family.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
I did not mean that "pet" owners should never go the breeder route at all. I just feel like a lot of homes automatically rule out rescue without even thinking about it at all.. obviously if it is an educated and thought out decision then whatever is best for your family.
I can definitely agree to all that (although rescue is a very popular option in my area so I don't think we have an issue with most people ruling it out). But you did ask "Why not rescue?" if you just want a pet, so I answered with the reasons my family had.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
I can definitely agree to all that (although rescue is a very popular option in my area so I don't think we have an issue with most people ruling it out). But you did ask "Why not rescue?" if you just want a pet, so I answered with the reasons my family had.
Around here, a lot of people see rescued dogs as like, a problem child. Lol. Most people don't even know what health testing is and get their dogs through the newspaper. I realize now that I set myself up for that response, but that was really not what I meant. I think it should at least be a thought, ya know? That's kind of what I meant by "why not rescue?" Not ALL THE PET OWNERS SHALL RESCUE OR GO TO THE BLAZING FIRES. Lol.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Around here, a lot of people see rescued dogs as like, a problem child. Lol. Most people don't even know what health testing is and get their dogs through the newspaper. I realize now that I set myself up for that response, but that was really not what I meant. I think it should at least be a thought, ya know? That's kind of what I meant by "why not rescue?" Not ALL THE PET OWNERS SHALL RESCUE OR GO TO THE BLAZING FIRES. Lol.
Yeah I totally get what you meant now. Luckily, in my area, rescue is popular. We hold adoption fairs at my work and they're like big parties when people come to look for a new dog. Which is awesome.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Yeah I totally get what you meant now. Luckily, in my area, rescue is popular. We hold adoption fairs at my work and they're like big parties when people come to look for a new dog. Which is awesome.
That is awesome! I've been trying to team up with the handful of rescues we have locally to get Lucy some more time out with potential adopters, and it's been like pulling teeth. So frustrating.

I think the dynamics change a lot when you get into the bigger cities where rescue is pushed a little more (obviously generalizations!). For example, a town just northwest of me is pretty good sized, and that is where most of the rescues I know of are located. So there are people who do it. I just can't find them where I live.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Show Dog

My boyfriend and I are talking about getting a dog in the future. I would prefer to a breeder who health tests. Several of the breeds we are looking at have major health issues and I think I would feel better knowing my dogs parents and lineage.

However, 4 of the breeds on our list are currently shown docked. I am concerned that we won't be able to find a breeder willing to let us select a puppy at such a young age and keep it from being docked. That's usually done at less than a week old. That's a risk for both the breeder and us.

Most of the rescues and shelters here have a high percentage of Pit Bulls or Pit mixes. Not that I don't like the breed, its just that of all breeds, that is one I would definitely want to get from a breeder.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 07-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I plan to buy my next dog with companionship as a very real part of it. Sure, sporting is extremely important but the ability to go on and keep up on a week as such, where we are now, is essential.

This week Sloan flew in a plane, met new family, stayed in a new home, swam, hiked, picnicked, boated, played fetch with strangers, called off wildlife, was left in a new house alone, was left in a new truck alone, was taken around a bonfire with strangers and strange dogs, and so on and so forth going non-stop until we crash. While sporting is a top priority in our life the ability to be a well rounded and stable pet with stamina to go all day is essential.

The ability to do these things, which ime not all dogs can because I have tried, is something to be bred for and sought after. A socially appropriate, confident, jack of all trades dog who can kick ass on any field and both physically and mentally go until asked elsewise is very important. Being part of a breeding program, in any form, that is perpetuating this type of dog is IMO just as important as rescue.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm All Ears

What is this magical line that separates a 'serious' sport home from the 'dabblers'?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
What is this magical line that separates a 'serious' sport home from the 'dabblers'?
Seminars and nationals?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:04 PM
LABRADERP!

I'll always have a rescue with me, but I won't go through a shelter or a rescue. They won't adopt out to me anyways due to me having intact animals.

My next dog in the future will most likely come from a breeder or a private rehome or do as Takoda did just right chance and right dog. Most likely the next dog I'm getting (Another Beagle or Cur) will come from hunting breeders that are local.
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013