Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Boys with balls?

Fred has found his hormones.

Is there anything I should know? I've never owned a boy before LOL. How should I expect him to be around other males or intact males?

Etc.

He's still lovely, but he's demonstrating he's teen boyness by peeing on eeeeeeverything and he did a real hard stare at another male dog today which didnt look playful to me!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

He's going through adolescence, so he'll probably be more obnoxious about it now than he will later. Basically, I just wouldn't let him get away with any behavior you don't want.

As to how he'll get along with other males... it varies. My Pirate is fine with them, he's an easy going lad. My friend's BC decided he didn't like other intact males, so isn't allowed around them. Yes, that seems backwards, but all dogs are individuals, so you'll just have to wait and see how yours is.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Fred has found his hormones.

Is there anything I should know? I've never owned a boy before LOL. How should I expect him to be around other males or intact males?

Etc.

He's still lovely, but he's demonstrating he's teen boyness by peeing on eeeeeeverything and he did a real hard stare at another male dog today which didnt look playful to me!
Remind me how old Fred is now?

I have no advice really. Talon's my first intact boy as well, and has started to mark everything (outside) obsessively. I think it's my fault for calling him a girl for so long. LOL I just tell him "nope, move along" and drag his butt with me when I don't want to stop every two feet.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Sit! Good dog.

He's ONE on the 16th!!!!!! One...

He cocks his leg on everything, luckily not indoors or on our yard etc

I hope he decides he likes boys... Will try and keep everything positive.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
He's going through adolescence, so he'll probably be more obnoxious about it now than he will later. Basically, I just wouldn't let him get away with any behavior you don't want.

As to how he'll get along with other males... it varies. My Pirate is fine with them, he's an easy going lad. My friend's BC decided he didn't like other intact males, so isn't allowed around them. Yes, that seems backwards, but all dogs are individuals, so you'll just have to wait and see how yours is.
I agree with this.

We've got...five intact males and all but Pan are great with other dogs. Although, Limit is only good with other dogs on his home turf (lack of confidence I do believe)...I just never pushed them to like a dog they didn't and encouraged proper behavior and if they don't like a dog, they'll tend to ignore or avoid, and all others they are sweet to. Our new foster is intact and we just introduced everyone and everyone was great. Minus Pan, of course.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Twin 2

The biggest issue I have with Traveler is how other dogs, mostly male, take to him.

I typically have to be extra vigilant when he's around any dogs because they seem to either completely obsess over him or try to go after him and I think it's mostly do to him being intact.

That being said, I think the biggest thing is because most dogs are castrated around here so they aren't ever exposed to other intact dogs. They smell different and none of them are quite sure how to take it. Even Traveler wasn't sure how to take other intact males. He's gotten a lot better the last year, been around more of them and come into himself a lot.

But yeah, that's my biggest issue with having an intact male.

Oh and he likes to pee on little white dogs when he's off leash. But I think that's more of a him thing than a ball thing.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Ma'ii is reactive towards other intact males, so we really have to watch him. Other than that, he's really no different than other dogs

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

I am spoiled and have zero issues with Shambles. He likes all dogs, intact or altered, and he keeps his pissing contests with Jonas to the yard.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

It will totally depend on each dog.

Frag was intact until around two. No issues with anything whatsoever related to his nuts. Never humped, fought, postured, roamed, chattered, marked, etc. Wonderful. (He does more of those behaviors NOW that he's intact- humping and posturing)

Recon is still intact and almost a year old. He is harder to warm up to adult males, and if they're around our house, he will stare/growl at them occasionally, but that's as far as it goes and he can still co-exist with them safely. I don't have any reason to believe it will get any worse and I'm fine with that. Just a little slower intro of adults males into the home.

They're both typically great at the dog park and have no issues as temperament test dogs, except that while Recon's going through fear stages (that are sometimes brought on by fireworks, etc) I pull him from testing because he does get fearful of strange dogs and will do the growling/hiding bit.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 AM
Top Dog

Nog was intact until 3 and he always got along with absolutely everyone. He never had inappropriate/annoying behaviors like excessive sniffing, excessive marking, humping, etc. He behaves exactly the same now as he did when intact. I don't know if it's just his personality (my guess) or training from his former owners.

Brooks will be intact for awhile yet, but he's a babydog, so he doesn't know he has testicles just yet.