Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

There's never really been a "first" for any of the house manners, liking the crate, handling, and socialization, and such with my foster puppies. All of that is done as I go about my day with them. As for actual commands, I think that "sit" has been one of the firsts. A few of the other "first" commands: whistling as they are already coming to me with lots of treats afterward so that they begin to learn "come", teaching a basic "leave it" with treats in the hand, and teaching a basic "go kennel" by tossing treats in there. "lie down" and "drop it" have also been early on in the training.

Once they learn how to sit, they quickly start learning that sitting is the way to get most everything in life - which translates pretty easily over to basic house manners. Jumping is ignored, sitting is rewarded, coming is rewarded. Life in and of itself is socialization, so as long as I try to get the puppy out and about to different places where it can see different things and people, I don't stress too much about specifics. With my last foster pup, I'd toss treats into the crate whenever we came inside so that he would associate it with good and yummy things. Body handling also was just a regular thing. While holding and petting, I'd rub all over, including the ears, tail, and paws, making sure to play with the nails.

In short - most everything that the puppy learns early on is just a product of everyday life and making sure to incorporate the puppy into it. If I had to pick a specific command, "sit" would be the first. With that as a default behavior, it's pretty easy to start working on impulse control and manners.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM
Puppy Dog

Does teaching my puppy not to poop or pee in the house count? That's my number one objective with a new pup. Or, to pee and poop outside, if you prefer to look at it that way. I am so glad my husband hasn't thought yet to record me doing the happy idiot dance that I do when puppies pee or poop outside-you know the one that makes them dance around like 'Oh! I dunno what I did just yet but wow we are having fun!'...and I usually treat for pottying outside in the beginning too.

My second objective is usually sit, followed by other commands-and using them along with NILIF.

Poop and pee come first though, always poop and pee.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:29 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Her name.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Water Junkie

First? His name.

Beyond that, I really remember working on recall. I dunno, for this breed, that's such an easy task because they naturally want to know what your doing. So recall training was fun and easy.

I really think so many things are taught at this age simultaneously that there really isn't a 'first' so to speak.

I mean first, have fun. At this age, just have fun with your puppy and let that lifelong relationship take shape while still showing them 'rules' (don't nibble me, crying all night won't get you out, trying to get on a potty schedule, etc).

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Recall and general manners.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I'm All Ears

I suppose recall started out right away because well.... no fence and I have pictures of her off leash that first day. Maybe that wasn't a good idea but the paps have always stayed close naturally. We really did just have fun though. I don't like to stress about puppy learning really. Just start up a good relationship foundation.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It would have been his name except it took me almost two weeks to name him.

So it was sit, down, stay, chasing games for recalls, and potty training. How to be handled, held, brushed, feet poked at, ears looked in, teeth looked at. And that I am super duper fun.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 PM
orange iguanas.

Potty training and basic manners (no jumping, waiting while I put the food bowl down, etc).

It was a good few weeks before I started and real commands.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Vizsla mom

Penn learned the clicker was awesome, then learned her name, sit, paw& down. She walks like a bull moose on a leash ..so I'm thinking I probably should have taught her leash manners? And, she still jumps up at people if she gets overexcited ..so maybe she just needs better manners in general LOL!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Sit is the first behavior I teach, just because it's easy and quick to teach, so it lets the pup learn that their behavior can earn them rewards. And here's Pirate's first training session, at 7 weeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqUxatWqcs

He was "Turtle" at the time, because that was his litter name. I hadn't made my selection yet at this point, so the pups just had temporary names.