Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default What is the first thing you taught your puppy?

^^ like the title says.

I think I plan on teaching pup pup right away is really good walking skills.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Top Dog

Depends on the dog. If it's a large breed that is going to grow quickly, control(boundaries, no jumping up, patience, etc) and leash manners. A more independent breed, leash manners and recall. Rescues or orphans, socialization. A good STAY comes immediately after for everyone.

Everything else, like sit, laydown, etc can be done after.

Just depends on the dog for me.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

That I am very interesting, likely to dispense food and toys, and worth paying attention to.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I always start with getting a pup acclimated to its kennel/crate and with wearing a collar/harness and being on leash. Potty training is also worked on, as well as getting it accustomed to its name. This time is my favorite, as puppies are such quick learners.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

I can't remember. Mostly we just played the first few days. We playe lots of tug and chase. I like to really reward focus on me and also to get to know the pup. I also remember sometime in the first week or two snapping a leash on Mia and her screaming bloody murder the first few times. Then there was suddenly a moment she realized the leash wasn't going to eat her.

I can't remember teaching her sit or down or stay at all. Obviously I did at some point lol.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM
such sights to show you

The first "formal" thing I remember teaching him was "It's Yer Choice." Otherwise just a lot of attention.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Oh yeah, getting in your crate for a cookie is a big one too. I definitely start the crate training early for sure.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Silence, peasants.

You stole my thread idea, haha.

Wesley learned to sit first, he was such a brilliant chubby ball of puppy. He could sit on cue from 10-15 feet away at the tender age of 7 weeks *sniffle* so cute. Ohwait, technically the first thing he learned was shake, not taught at home though. The breeder's son taught it to him at 5-6 weeks, because he was the only puppy who would focus long enough and picked it up.

Right now, I'm planning on a lot of attention, impulse control, house training, getting along with animals in the house, learning to relax, playing with me, just experiencing life. Learning that I am fun and awesome (and modest...?), the world is fun, shaping and training is awesome, and being a puppy. Funny enough, I'm not really worried about the cued stuff.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

Recall. I do teach them to wear a leash, but for the most part the leash is left off wherever possible and I am constantly rewarding for being around me. As soon as they are ready to go on short hikes I am out all the time doing recall stuff.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Show Dog

It's very individual for me. Pig was super into working with me right away and was/is able to go for longer without checking out. So with her, I kind of did so much right away. Sits, downs, stays, recalls, targeting, drive/impulse balancing and focusing on handler=fun.

Badger gets bored with things so much quicker. He doesn't have nearly the amount of natural coordination as Pig, which is totally understandable but does have to be taken into consideration while I'm training. He's obviously going to be a big dog, so we do work on impulse control and manners, but I really try to balance that with building drive.

I train broad ideas with him right now. So we work on learning that driving into me with purpose is fantastic, but I've made zero attempts to put it on cue. And I usually don't set up formal sessions like I do with Pig. I just try to break things down into different games we can play throughout the day. Also, with him handling is a big priority and gets worked on constantly. Just handling his entire body, dremeling, rubbing him with a towel, wiping his jowls, restraining etc.