Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 05-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Default Dewclaws...what should i do?

Okay everyone, somehow my puppy got overlooked at the vet when the breeder took his litter in. They all got their dewclaws removed except him. He is now 9 weeks old and the vet says only surgery can remove them. I don't know what to do. Should I get them removed or do they really not cause that much harm?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Top Dog

Depends what your using the dog for really. If he's gonna be working, running through brush or that type of thing, it may be worth it.
If it's just a pet, there's not harm in leaving them. All the dogs I've had, have had their dewclaws, and it's never been a problem.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Likewise here with my Goldens,,,,just keep them trimmed, like nails.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 05-07-2006 at 07:38 PM. Reason: cf
Old 05-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Corgi bum

Jackson Browne (my Dachshund) still has his and they don't cause him any problems. I just keep the nail trimmed.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
BusterLove

Buster runs around in the scrub a lot. but he has his dew claws and hasnt had a problem yet. but we do worry when he disapears and comes back with a deep cut on his face that almost hit his eye... ahh..
sophie doesnt have hers. they were removed before we got her. loks like they were done with a pocket knife or soemthing. must have caused her a lot of pain poor girl...

Old 05-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I have two labs and a shepherd. They are all working dogs. Only my yellow female had hers removed. She has large scars where they were located.
The other two dogs have theirs intact. They are strong and not "hanging".
I have never had any problems with any of them.

I would take a real look at the dews......... Are they Loose and hanging? Do you think they will get caught on something? If your instinct is "this could be a problem" then by all means look into getting them removed.

If they are strong and "close" not hanging.......Then in my opinion, they really don't cause much problem. If they don't look "like a problem waiting to happen" then I think it is better to leave them alone.

Hubby always jokingly calls them "ice grabbers" cause Charlie (with dews)can usually make it back over the ice in a half frozen river with a goose in his mouth, but Shiloh (dews removed) sometimes can't get back over the same ice with a goose from the water.

It is only your decision neither is right or wrong. Whatever will cause less pain in the long run.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Who woulda thought <3

Chloe didnt have any.....
Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Herding dogs rock!!!

Thanks for the input. I think I'm just going to let them stay. They seem strong and aren't hanging. I don't want to put him through the pain of having them removed if it's not going to cause major problems. Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Active Pup

If you keep them and then find that they often get caught or torn on things, you can wrap them with bandage or tape before your dog goes out running or hunting or whatever it is your dog does. That will keep them from getting caught on something and injuring the dog.

My dogs have theirs, and they run through heavy brush, and have not yet managed to injure themselves. I don't think it's a big deal unless you have a working dog.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Harley & Abby

Cowgurl, my dog Harley had dew claws on both his front and hind legs. They were supposed to remove his hind dew claws when he was being desexed as a puppy but the vet must have forgotten. Anyway, last year (when he was 9 years old) I think he had about two incidences where he got them caught on something, so when he had an operation last year we got the vet to remove them (he couldn't get rid of the front ones though, as they were attached to bone). If your puppy's dew claws aren't hanging then it's probably less likely that he'll catch them on anything and I wouldn't worry too much about removing them.