Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

All I've ever seen on dogs around here are the chamois ones, but always on smooth coated breeds. I remembered last night that my Dobe breeder had a few cooling coats. Maybe I'll ask her if she has a spare one that she might have used on a smaller girl and see if it works for Journ before I actually buy one. I think she just has the chamois ones too, but it's still worth a try I think. If she has one little enough. If not, I'll look around more at the Swamp Cooler/Hurrta/Saratoga and see which one people seem to prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post

The chest/belly piece is one of the most important in my opinion. Easier to cool a dog by keeping their belly cool.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too after looking at them some more. I just thought it was a little crazy how much of a price difference there was between ones with belly straps and ones without. But that was maybe just that one company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Following this because Fuzzy B&W dog thinks I should buy him an AC unit....
Pretty sure Journey would love that as well haha. She's always so hot. Even if the house doesn't seem hot, she's generally panting a bit.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Not a Border Collie

I STILL haven't used my Hurtta one, but I can't say enough about the fit and quality. Quinn is notoriously impossible to fit - everything long enough just HANGS off of her and slides because she is so narrow, everything that fits in the belly region is way too short. Journey may have the same issue although she's probably shorter backed than Quinn. I am incredibly impressed with the fit of the Hurtta.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-07-2013, 10:10 PM
F150 and a .30-06

What they borzoi people do so they dont wreck the coats is take a bag of ice and put in against her tummy at shows. If the coat does happen to get wet you dont notice it on the belly.

I had a clot one for Jazz. The kind that when they dry out the get stiff like there is cardboard in them (there isnt) I loved it .

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Behavior Nerd

Just a heads up, but REI has the Ruffwear cooling coats on sale right now for cheap!

Old 07-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Active Pup

We have been the most impressed with the Ruffwear Swamp Cooler as well (but we have not tried the Hurtta). I also like that the company seems really great to work with!!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 AM
& the Muttly Crew

It does depend on how you use them. If you keep them wet with decent airflow to get the evaporative properties, then many of them are good. I use mine both wet and dry, so I like the saratogas because they are white and breathe well -- little danger of compounding the problem, and they have excellent reflective properties so my black dog doesn't become a frying pan in the sun. I also have some dog ice pack things so I rotate those through the crates as well -- they can lay on them if they wish (and they do) or move off them if they get chilly. Gives them the option to somewhat self-determine their needs.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Just a heads up, but REI has the Ruffwear cooling coats on sale right now for cheap!
Say what!? In store only? REI.com still has them at $55--or is that cheap?

http://www.rei.com/product/855790/ru...oling-dog-vest

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Behavior Nerd

This link says $37 http://www.rei.com/product/859914/ru...-2012-closeout