Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Top Dog

Default Best marketing practice for breeders?

I actually don't mind when breeders use Internet to host their own website. I wouldn't call it a 'marketing' practice though, as good breeders don't do it for money but to introduce their dogs. Of course what I like best about it is that it's easy to see who is a good breeder and who isn't, but as from what I've seen a big majority of those sites are BYBs anyway, I would be careful of that practice too, at least if you don't have a minimum of information about what to avoid.

Edit: how in the world did my post end up the FIRST post of the thread?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Best marketing practice for breeders?

Hi, I was just wondering for all the breeders out there. What are some ways you go about marketing your puppies for sale? I've seen some people sit out on the roads with big signs like (pitbull puppies $500 each) or something. I've seen classifieds on dog magazines and stuff too. Maybe over the internet. What seems to be the most effective way to sell them and how many do you typically sell in lets' say, a week? Does there seem to be alot of demand for puppies?

Sorry if anyone works for an adoption center and is offended by this post, I was just curious.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Who woulda thought <3

A responsible breeder shouldnt have to market theirself or their puppies...People would know them by name alone......

Last edited by jess2416; 05-07-2006 at 04:33 PM. Reason: changed wording
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Word of mouth..............
It should get there before the puppies do.

A good breeder will have puppies "promised" before they enter the world.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
Word of mouth..............
It should get there before the puppies do.

A good breeder will have puppies "promised" before they enter the world.
Ditto ^ what she said
Old 05-07-2006, 05:11 PM
But please, call me Barb

Another vote for word of mouth.
Another is at the sport that breed is bred for and at shows. No need to advertise if your dogs take top honors!!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Certified Animallover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie
Hi, I was just wondering for all the breeders out there. What are some ways you go about marketing your puppies for sale? I've seen some people sit out on the roads with big signs like (pitbull puppies $500 each) or something. I've seen classifieds on dog magazines and stuff too. Maybe over the internet. What seems to be the most effective way to sell them and how many do you typically sell in lets' say, a week? Does there seem to be alot of demand for puppies?

Sorry if anyone works for an adoption center and is offended by this post, I was just curious.

If you carefully reread the post it asks what to do NOW not what you think he/she should have done before hand. Word of mouth is great exept peoples circles are their circles. I would put ads in your local papers.put Signs up in stores. Maybe even an ad at your local pet store. You could also list online at

puppyfind.com

petfinder.com

petshopper.com

nextdaypets.com

be careful with online people screen them well. dont just deal in emails. Over the phone works better. puts them on the spot. Ask for neighbors ## call ask for their vets ### and families ###. Find a good shipping company.

I hope it all goes well for you and that you find great homes for all those puppies.
The worst thing to do is place an ad here. Unless of coarse you are a registered breeder.

Pm me the breed and I will help you find homes.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I have seen ads in papers from reputable breeders. All doing health certs and choosing good dogs for the best breedings. I believe this is a good thing. Too often the public is uninformed about dogs, or dont know where to find a good breeding.
Word of mouth, internet, newspapers, magazines, ect ect are all good tools if used properly.
Its not the tool that is bad its how its used.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
I only bred every 2 years or so , but when I used a male as a sire there was always a waiting list too .I guess through the years there were over 100 Goldens.... no one advertised and everyone spade or neutered. You have to remember that's over 30 years. Word of mouth is the way to go , plus return puppy wanter's .... Over the years at least a dozen or more went to past owners, their families or friends. I still get calls though I haven't bred for over 10 years. That's why puppy seekers should contact a breed club and ask about litters...good breeders don't advertise.
Do you realize that not all people know about breed clubs? Tools are tools
Yes word of mouth is best! I agree! Not everyone knows how to locate the breeding they want. Or even know about health certs ect...
Its not the tools that are bad its how they are used.

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

I only bred every 2 years or so , but when I used a male as a sire there was always a waiting list too .I guess through the years there were over 100 Goldens.... no one advertised and everyone spade or neutered. You have to remember that's over 30 years. Word of mouth is the way to go , plus return puppy wanter's .... Over the years at least a dozen or more went to past owners, their families or friends. I still get calls though I haven't bred for over 10 years. That's why puppy seekers should contact a breed club and ask about litters...good breeders don't advertise.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/