Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Little dog, big voice

I would say that if he's maintaining his weight, and you feel that he's getting enough, he likely is.

Cali is on Go! Chicken + Turkey + Trout, and is basically free fed. I will fill her bowl later in the evening and she eats out of it as she pleases, although this is because she's not a big eater to begin with and she's always been a little too scrawny for my liking.

Moses gets 3/4 cup, twice a day of his food, and he's a not so active twelve year old dog. I convinced my mom to switch his food from Purina to Nature's Domain, and since the switch, the serving size seems much more filling.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:35 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Penn is free fed ..worst owner ever? Most likely.
Meh, I'm currently free feeding my two. So don't feel bad! I still don't give them more than a set amount, but I just kind of leave it out all day for them as both Cynder and Abrams don't sit and eat an entire bowl, but graze throughout the day.

Chloe is 45 pounds and is very inactive...she only gets a cup of food (of a low calorie food, even) a day and maintains her weight. Mom bumped her up to two cups a day when she was more active earlier in the year, but now that she's back to being lazy dog she's gained back all of the weight I tried to get her to loose.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I guess it depends on the dog, but I don't listen to my dogs if they insist that they're hungry haha. They'd forever be hungry and just use me until they more resembled a pod of fat whales lol.

I just base it off of body condition. If he looks good on 2 cups a day, I likely wouldn't give him more, and certainly not an extra cup more.
That. Not only would Meg look like a whale, but once it worked one time, she would spend the rest of her life telling everyone how hungry she is. Meg got locked in the garage by accident for an hour or two one night, and got the lid off the dog food. She looked like a barrel by the time we figured out where she was, and was lethargic and ill for 2 days. She is not to be trusted to decide how much she needs to eat!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
aka RedHotBabe

Rumor would eat every speck of food in the house if she had the means. She acts hungry constantly. If I'm feeling particularly sorry for her I give her some treats, but I never feed her more.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

Henry had a poor appetite when he was younger, but has certainly made up for it the past few years. That being said, I want him to be hungry at mealtimes. I think overfeeding would hamper his natural appetite.

I just feed him off of body condition. Some days he gets almost 2 full cups of food between 2 feedings (He's about 33 pounds) and other days he gets a little less, maybe between 1.5-1.75 cups of food between two feedings. He's fed a high quality food so I don't worry about it. Plus he's quite undemanding with his exercise needs.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Penn is free fed ..worst owner ever? Most likely.

Although, she's a super good weight but she eats wayyy more than most dogs :/ I'd average 4 cups a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) on Go!
Rosey was definitely free fed for the first.... Oh, probably 8-10 years of her life. She definitely ate more in those days yet was never particularly fat.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Um ya if I listen to Gage (mastiff/rotty) and Bristol (shih tzu) about being hungry their legs wouldn't touch the floor because all they would do is eat! Diesel, well he's has body issues I think and u almost have to force him it eat lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

I wish I had dogs that look hungry! I'm lucky if mine eat a whole cup a day. They just aren't foodies.

My Photos
Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I have never even thought of giving them more when they bang their bowls around

I think it's from 7 years of living with a corgi. My feeding soul is broken.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 07-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Show Dog

Bear and Pig would eat themselves to death. Bear moreso with kibble, when I was feeding raw I could put him out with a giant pork shoulder and he would regulate himself just fine. I guess because he had to work at getting chunks off. With kibble, he would gorge himself if given the option. He also requires such a tiny amount of food for his size, so if anyone watches me fill the bowls they always comment on how I'm starving him. He's still chunkier then I would really like him to be though, so no amount of sad face will get him more food.

Pig will gorge herself on kibble or raw or cat poop if given the chance. Doesn't matter, if there's food(ish) in front of her, she's eating it.

I recently bought a ton of go/now after that accidental sale and Badger isn't crazy for it. He'll eat it, but takes his time and doesn't look for more. I sometimes use baby food as a high value reward though and I'm pretty sure he would be ok with eating his weight in that