Question about prong fit

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I know how to fit a prong, I know it's supposed to be high up. My dilemma is that Juno's neck appears to be a sort of "in between" size and I'm not sure which way to go. If I have all the links on it, it starts up where it should be, but if she shakes her head or just during the course of a walk, it starts sliding down and ends quite a bit lower on her neck.

If I remove a link though, it's borderline too tight I think? Like I don't know, I can't decide how snug is TOO snug. I wish I could remove just HALF a link lol.

I'm just not sure if I should leave all the links in, or go with a snugger fit. With all the links it's more of a "regular" collar fit, I can get probably a couple fingers under it. With a link removed it's not exactly digging into her or anything, it's just not as easy to just slide a finger underneath it.

I don't know the correct answer but Pirate's prong fits the same way. I ended up going with the snugger fit. I don't use it anymore though. He walks pretty well on the leash most of the time.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Simi's prong fits the same way and her breeder, who is very knowledgeable, told me to just leave it "a little too loose" and adjust it back up as I need to. Her's hardly stays up high on her neck at all, but if it's too tight it'll constantly be digging into them.

What size link are you using? Maybe you could move down a size of the actual links (if there is a size smaller) and it will be easier to fit perfectly?

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
What size link are you using? Maybe you could move down a size of the actual links (if there is a size smaller) and it will be easier to fit perfectly?
This would be an option, yes, but keep in mind that the smaller the link, the stronger the correction, or at least that's what I've been told.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
She's on the "fine" size which I think is already the smallest. I wish they were more customizable lol.

I suppose I can just push it back up when it slides down, probably better than potentially having it tighter than it needs to be. :)

This would be an option, yes, but keep in mind that the smaller the link, the stronger the correction, or at least that's what I've been told.
I had heard this once too one place a long time ago but I don't know how true it actually is. Most info I seem to find is that you just get the size that fits the dog. I tried the medium on her and the links were just... too big and overwhelming for her neck so we went with the smaller.

I use the smallest for Squash, too. The bigger ones look ridiculous on him, even, as big as he is, and he has this ridiculous neck skin that makes him hard to fit, too. It's either a bit too loose or it is completely smooshing his floppy neck skin. I feel you, sister. :p

Have you tried a different kind or brand of prong? There was one kind that did that on Gage too, but I can't remember the brand. I ended up having him in the kind that isn't a martingale because it stays at the top. Maybe one of the plastic kind would fit better though?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Blossom is in between as well and I go with a little too loose. :) Honestly, I have not seen much if any harm from loose prong collars except they're less effective and offer less control of the head. B's was just SO tight with a link removed that it didn't seem right. Her's also slides down her neck as she walks and shakes her head. Oh well, I pull it back up, lol. But yeah, and if I have clients with in between-er dogs I usually suggest the looser fit. I'd only go tighter if the dog was really difficult to control or something.

Saeleofu

I'd go with looser rather than tighter. A prong doesn't need to fit as high on the neck to be effective, so I'd rather see it slip down a bit than dig in all the time from being tight. It's a strong enough correction that sitting lower on the neck still works well.

Gavroche is hard to fit, too, because of his squooshy neck skin.

Members online

No members online now.