Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I'm on my first foster experience as well. It will be very difficult to give this dog up. She is such a sweetie. However, she doesn't fit the bill for what I want in an ACD and even though DH is head over heels for her, he also realizes that in the long term, she isn't the dog he wants.

I would be ECSTATIC to see her placed in a sport home, doing either agility or flyball. She's so drivey, I think she would be awesome at either. Maybe even disk with the right person.

So, yes, I will be sad to see her go... but she isn't right for our home and thus stays a foster.

Only you can decide what's best for you and your home. Imagine yourself a few years down the road. Do you think that you will be happy with a dog that is opposite of what you originally wanted out of a dog? There will always be more dogs in rescue. This dog could find a perfect home where they will love it forever. The right dog is out there for you (whether it be rep. bred or rescued). You just have to decide whether that right dog is the one that is cuddled up next to you now, or one you haven't met yet.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 07-05-2013, 09:11 AM
Top Dog

There was only one dog that I absolutely wish I had kept - he was an older Cocker Spaniel, and he was the best dog ever.

One of my best friends ended up adopting him, so I still get to see him, and I know he's very happy and well taken care of. If she (or one of my other dog friends) hadn't taken him, I probably would have kept him.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Bored Now.

I like this thread.

No failed doggie fosters here, but there was one cat I wish I'd kept with all my heart. It was a purely logical decision to adopt her out, and it was in her best interests, but I wish I had been able to keep her.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

Yes and no.

I'm on my fourth foster now. The circumstances weren't right to keep my first one but if I could have, I would have. And they're still not right, so I'm really glad I didn't. She is quite literally in THE perfect home for her. I love her new owners so much for acknowledging who she is and embracing it.

Stryker

now Ruca

best shepherd baby ever

The second was short term. Very, very sweet girl. Very much adored people. Very, very shy. I liked her, but she wasn't what I wanted or needed. Luckily she ended up in a home on an apple orchard where she really doesn't have to leave the property much, so from what I hear, she's doing very, very well.

Reba

The third was... heartbreaking for me. She was my ideal pet, who very well may have been capable of more. She's in a good home. One that also adores her for who she is, but we're all working together to help them make her feel more secure, and learn to be braver. They have no interest in returning her, but they didn't realize how much they have to pay attention to when she IS being brave and reinforce that. She made a ton of progress here, and regressed quickly when she wasn't getting specific feedback. I did hear last week though that she's started following them from room to room selectively, which is a big deal!

Dixie, now Dany

And my current foster is Gaby, who should have no problem finding a home. Her only issue is that she walks horribly on a leash, but it's a work in progress!

Gaby!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Aware

I foster and train service dogs. I miss Ranger, and his entire situation was quite traumatic for me - because I failed to create a proper contract and irritated the wrong person, he is gone. I have no idea where he is. I likely never will. I search the Craigslist and Petfinder for San Diego frequently in hopes of finding him again. 110% my fault. I have enormous regrets regarding that, and the whole situation that unfolded around it stuck me in a pretty dark place for a pretty long time. I won't ever stop looking for him, but as far as that entire situation... well. Dwelling on it does me no good.

Deke, Ranger's brother, I placed recently as a working service dog after having him for 8 months. I LOVE Deke. I remain his co-owner, but he lives about 100 miles away. He's such a stellar guy. I would have never had the experience of training him had I not had a home lined up for him at the time of adoption, but good god, did that dog just steal my heart. I miss him horribly, though I'm thankful he's not too far away. I'll see him again sometime this year.

Bloo... well. Bloo is no longer a foster, even though that makes our lives significantly more difficult for the next however many years... it was the right decision for us. She's what we needed, with a couple of difficult quirks. Rick and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Well, the BT was an almost failed foster. He was originally going to be a short term foster, like a couple days. But we fell in love and decided to try it a bit. Then his demons started to show and we just weren't in a place or environment fitted to working them out. I miss him, my husband even more but he is doing awesome in his home now.

There have been other dogs over the years but one, oh man, I never even fully named him, we just called him chunk lol. Rott mix. Had him and his brother that were dumped in an empty lot as young pups. We found a home for his brother really quick but Chunk stayed with us for a bit over a month...I LOVED that dog. Bawled like a baby when he left.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Top Dog

I have fostered almost 20 dogs now, in the last three years.

I've had to euthanize one, place some in different foster homes, and I've cried over some.

The only one that I ever really thought about keeping was Tug, the pit mix foster that I placed just about a month and a half ago. I LOVED Tug, so much. BUT, as much as it hurt, getting to see how well he is in puppy class and with his new owner really made it better for me.

I don't anticipate falling that in love with another foster again, though.

It's probably for the best. XD

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

I was happy to see my one and only foster. (I might have more, but probably only sporadically.)

Mr. Carrot Cake/Duke/Whatever was a hell of a first experience to foster. A nippy, completely untrained puppy. He peed everywhere, annoyed Gwen and had SA.

Everyone was pretty convinced I would fall in love with my first foster. If you're worried about it, get a dog you KNOW you won't mesh well with

At least he made me realize I DON'T WANT A PUPPY. I've never had a puppy (all of my dogs were at least 6 months old when I acquired them) and I'm freaking glad they were.

I would like to foster again but with Gwen and two ferrets, it would have to be a special dog. I also can't find a local rescue/shelter that doesn't irritate me. Not to mention, I'm a bit scared I'd be stuck with a dog. I don't like not knowing when (or if) this dog is leaving.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I wish I would have kept Frank, my one eyed pomeranian. He was the coolest dude ever, and (like me!) his favorite foods were black beans & feta cheese. I cried and cried and cried when I left him, even though he went to my stepmom's cousin, who adored him until he died of CHF. It broke my heart and I cried for days.

I decided I'd honor Clyde's memory by fostering for Rottie rescue, and boy did that bite me in the arse. Not only did I foster fail right out of the gates, I did it *again* with my next foster. I have removed myself from the "foster" list at this juncture, and will reconsider it in the future if I can foster puppies. I don't enjoy raising puppies, and have generally had no qualms fostering them... although I was once told that maybe I should just not foster Rotties, since they appear to be my kryptonite.

I've fostered countless puppies & kittens, and three ferrets; however, if you look around my house now, out of nine animals, six of them are foster failures. (All 5 dogs and one of the 4 cats.)
my delicate little flower

Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

I forgot all about Dick Cheney! He was the most wonderful crab of a persian and I dearly wanted to keep him. But he really needed to be a single animal, so I had to let him go. He is in the perfect home and provides love and comfort to his new owners elderly mother. I still miss him, though

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.