Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

Default For those who foster, any regrets?

I just started fostering an awesome 9 year old toy poodle. She is pretty much the exact opposite of what I was looking for in a dog, but I am really falling for her. I want to keep her, but I also want to foster more. Having both her and a foster is not an option.

Are there foster dogs you wish you kept?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Gosh I have too many jokes to make here. I want to say "No, I just keep them" but I also want to say "Is it too late to say I regret keeping Shambles?"

But yes, my boyfriend and I each have one. I super regret not keeping this skinny mutty puppy Elliott from YEARS ago. I just loved him so and it has been like 5 years since he was adopted and I still kick myself over him. Even JONAS liked him, so I know I made a mistake. He lives in a city about a half hour away, but I've never seen him again. My boyfriend still mentions a Pomeranian, which surprised the hell out of me the first time he said "I really wish we kept Desi." He never said any thing when we had him!

We've kept Magpie and Shambles, so we've faced that side of the coin as well. I've waffled on Elsa constantly, but have kept the word out in case the perfect situation pops up for her. I don't really dig any of the immediate rescues in this area to foster for (and individuals don't really dig my intact male) so now I'm just going to foster cats for a friend's rescue- no interest in keeping kitties!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I usually never thought about it on a serious note. I always knew if I kept one, I wouldn't be able to foster any more... and the could possibly result in a life not being saved.

With one exception. His name was Wally and he was the exact opposite of what I wanted, a big ol lazy lug of a male but boy oh boy I fell for him hard. He was like a low drive perfectly social golden in a white and tan huge cocker body. By the time I knew I wanted to keep him for sure, it was too late, the adopter had been approved and the transport set in place to send him to his home visit. I didn't have the heart to do that to his family that wanted him so bad. So, I secretly hoped his home visit wouldn't go well, and they would want a different dog because it wasn't a good match.
But they loved him as much as I did, I guess. I still think about him all the time, and wonder what we'd be doing right now But, if I would've kept him I wouldn't have had about 5 more fosters after that, AND I wouldn't have Bailey <3 ...

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Shiva. My wonderful shiba inu mix puppy that was the wrong size, wrong breeds, and wrong gender but I wanted with all my heart. If she had not been pre-placed before I ever took her, I never would have given her up.

Quiddich will be very hard as well. We have worked so hard together and he has made amazing progress. Every time I see him, my heart lights up. But he is the wrong match for Gambit and my heart kbows that his home is out there. If I didn't have coyboy, I would keep him hands down.

None of the others have touched me like they have

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

I foster failed Bayleigh. At first I was having issues about the way I failed but I'm over it now and have absolutely no regrets.

I haven't fostered that many animals, 2 kittens and a handful of puppies. Mostly overnight guests. But if there is any that I wish I'd kept it was a one-eyed, little fluffy dog. He was a white and tan Pekingese. I think they are some of the ugliest dogs out there (lol) but I really liked him. He was a couple years old. But if I would have kept him there is no way I would have been able to adopt my Great Dane. And he was one of the best dogs ever.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yes, I regretted (for a while) not keeping Ares, a cattle dog mix. It was an amazing dog and probably everything I wanted but he found a home fast and I already had several dogs. That said, I'm very happy and lived to foster others. Otherwise most of my fosters I have been thrilled to see go.

I kept Arnold and I kept Shamoo, knowing I couldn't live without Arnold and knowing Shamoo meant something to come, I have never looked back with regret, they've both shaped me.

Give it some time, how's the adoptability of the pup?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Mitsu is a foster fail, kinnda. I took her out of a bad situation with the intent to foster her until I found her a new home, but then we found out she had a terrible heart condition so we decided to keep her.

Although she was a great dog and loved a lot. I think I would have regretted keeping her if she was healthy and would live a full, healthy life. She just was not the dog for me. And keeping her would have held back my dream Boerboel pup for a long time. Although I would have adapted and probably would have gotten over it eventually. But she taught me a valuable lesson, to live life to the fullest and never stop!

I have no regrets keeping her at all until her very last days, she was an amazing dog and Tyler's girl though and through. I miss her daily, but I think she was the kind of dog that would have been happy in any home, if she was healthy.

I really would love to do some more fostering, unfortunately Tyler gets to attached and can't let an animal go. And it would probably be pretty hard to find a rescue group that would foster out to me since I will have an intact male.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Not dogs, but I foster ferrets. Though, I also run the rescue, so my situation is a bit different.

I've been on both sides. There has been a ferret I was glad to see go to their forever home, a couple I hate that I had to give to their new home, and a couple I have kept.

Both Nacho and Ella are foster failures. Ella is a special case, as I *was* keeping an eye open for a young female ferret to add, after I lost Rascal. She just happened to be the right ferret, probably not the best time. I was fostering her, somebody showed interest in her, and I had to make the quick decision to adopt before they could. That said, absolutely no regrets for either of them.

Wedgey, I wish I would have kept. I wish I could have kept. Unfortunately, she was very obviously not happy with other ferrets, so it was not in her best interest to keep her.

Gucci (Spock), who was bonded with Prada, passed away while in my care. I wish he hadn't, because I would have kept him in a heartbeat. He was just so, so sweet. That said, his cage mate, Prada, was complete opposite, and I was happy for him when he got a new home. He just didn't fit in here. Same as Marlee, sweet ferret, but she was ferret aggressive, so it was nice and relieved much tension when she moved on.

I think it's normal to, especially with your first foster, want to keep them. You really do have a bond with them, because they depend on you. Only you could know though, if you really do want to keep her. There's definitely a special feeling you get when you hand them off to their new home, especially those that are with you for a while.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

Well, yes and no. I'm happy with my current dogs. I can make a case for why I'm glad I don't still have this or that foster dog.

But...I had an older Walker hound mix that was so nice, so awesomely laid back, she is close to my heart. We were trying to sell the house at that point and moved across the country, so it wasn't feasible to keep a (tenth!) dog. She came from a rescue hoarder, and went to a fantastic home with an older couple that were enamored with her.
Maggie!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:38 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for sharing all your stories. I went into this thinking it would be no problem giving her up since she is not/was not what I typically want in a dog, but she's kind of everything I want in a dog now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Give it some time, how's the adoptability of the pup?

She's pretty adoptable: small, cute, affectionate, smart, house trained, active and agile...the only thing she has "against" her is her age, she's 9 years old. Not old for a small dog, but not young either.