Going on a road trip to Vancouver-advice, tips NEEDED!!

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
So the last weekend in July Tyler, myself, Teagan and pup pup will be heading out to Vancouver for two weddings. One on the last weekend of July and the first weekend in August. So we will be there for over a week. We have decided to take both dogs. I just don't feel comfortable leaving them both in a kennel or a strangers home for over a week. And it will end up costing us a small fortune, Plus I though it will be a good experience for pup pup. And Teagan will just love the adventure.

Now, I am slightly concerned about him not having all his boosters he will have his 8 week and that is about it, unless I try and get him into a vet in Vancouver, or I can get the vet to give him his next booster right before we leave. but I kinnda decided that him experiencing the busy city life, ferry rides and the traveling is going to be worth it. Issue with living in a more rural area its hard to experience that sorta thing. So I am jumping on the opportunity to take him. Plus we will be staying away from dark parks and heavy dog areas.

We will be mostly camping, Tyler and I will be staying in a hotel for the weddings, but I found a dog sitter that is going to take them during that time.

Now, I need tips. As I have never taken a puppy on a road trip. And I am stressing out! The trip is about 13 hours give or take to get there. What should I be bringing with me? What would you do regarding vaccinations? How often would you stop for pee breaks? And any one wanna try and meet up that live in Vancouver or Victoria area?

Thanks friends :)

Torch

If it were me, I would try to get one more vaccination before we left, or have him get another when you get there. And just take the normal precautions when it comes to keeping him away from dog heavy areas.

As far as traveling, I always make sure I have extra collars and leashes, a first aid kit, plenty of food and fresh water, extra blankets and towels, nausea meds. Long lasting durable toys would most likely be a hit for the pup. And without knowing how well he rides, I would definitely keep him in a crate for the majority of the travel. Maybe plan most of the driving for nighttime so he'll be more likely to sleep?

For potty breaks I would stop every two hours (unless he's sleeping hard), let him stretch his legs, and maybe have a little water.

wishbone

Sounds like a good trip but does the pup is comfortable on traveling for hours? Practice now so the dogs will get used too, some dog experience motion sickness.

You already got good tips and list stuffs from Torch but I wanted to add to make sure your dogs will be properly restrained in the car. And with new environment, some dogs growl and little bit aggressive just to check if the place is ok and so you have to be calm and be assertive that things are under control. Surely it will be a great trip for all of you, good luck! :)

When I am travelling whether it is with a pup or older dog, as long as they are sleeping and quiet, I do not stop for them. Just make sure they have some exercise before you leave and have time to pee and poop. I would not feed anything in the morning before you leave or they are likely to be car sick.

When I got Kris she was 11 weeks old and she travelled the five hours home in her crate and slept the whole way. My older dogs have easily gone 6-7 hours without needing a break.

Members online

No members online now.