Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: What is your preferred method of exercising your dog?
Walks 13 30.95%
Runs 6 14.29%
Your dog running beside a bike 2 4.76%
Flirt pole 4 9.52%
Dog park 8 19.05%
"Playdates" 0 0%
Fetch in the backyard 7 16.67%
Just letting him blow off steam in the backyard by himself 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Top Dog

Off leash runs/walks. Preferably somewhere secluded/not a dog park, but I do take my dogs to dog parks regularly because I don't have a lot of other options. But we stick to ourselves in quieter areas. If I had a car, and a better sense of direction, I'd love to hike with them constantly too.

If I'm feeling lazy or crunched for time, I'll take everyone except Keira (who doesn't understand or enjoy playing with toys) to a nearby field for a game of fetch.

And it's not my preferred method, but I do like that my dogs can also wear eachother out in the yard together wrestling.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Lab Love

Swimming, always. Duke is true to his breed and loves water.

I go to dog parks a lot, but go around quiet times. I prefer off leash exercise over leashed anything, since that doesn't seem to really satisfy them. Both Duke and Boomer only really play fetch in the water. I'll play with the flirtpole for a bit in the backyard too, but that's mostly Boomers' forte.

But it's always sad when winter comes and they can't swim anymore. Since Pet Planet closed with the dog pool ($25 for 30 min) the only dog pool in the city (except for the sport vet) is 60 bucks! Which is a total rip off, so no thanks. 60 bucks for you to throw a toy in the pool, nope.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM
orange iguanas.

I prefer swimming or running, but most often its walks and tug and fetch at home.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-03-2013, 03:09 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Off leash hikes daily. We change up activities when I have more time/energy, but the off leash hikes are a staple.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

My lazy way? I ride the four wheeler at my dads house and he chases me along fence (he's inside fence, I'm outside of it, lol). That's when he truly gets FULL speed sprinting going on. And he loves every minute of it.

In the summer? Most of his exercise comes from swimming at my dads place (so I'm there like 2-3x a week) or fetching with the Chuck-It in the yard if I'm not at dads.

When the pool is not open, we do a lot of walking, I like finding pretty places to walk, new parks, new trails, etc. On average we'll do a good 4-5 miles. But in the summer walks are almost non-existent.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Off leash running in the woods. Not much else truly tires Gusto out, and Meg especially just comes alive in the woods.

Usually in the summer they do a lot of running along while I trail ride Tristan, but it's been so wet this summer that pretty much hasn't happened.

I don't do dog parks at all; we have a few good dog friends that Gusto adores, so we will do play dates with them when we can. Agility a couple of times a week, some fetch. I leash walk them most evenings for my benefit, but it really does nothing to tire Gusto!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:17 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I voted "fetch in the backyard", but that really translates to "play in the house/yard". I would much prefer to talk walks if I have a dog that needs to burn off some steam, but Chloe was too reactive to walk while I lived with my parents, and currently there isn't a safe walking path that I can take to walk the dogs near my apartment due to traffic and narrow roads. Once Abrams is bigger and NEEDS to be walked I'll have to drive somewhere, but for now we just do constant indoor/outdoor play.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Hiking and biking. Sham likes to run with the bike, but it isn't as much fun as hiking. We found a new area so we have been getting out and hiking 5-6 miles every other day rotating through the others with Sham, since he is the only one who likes to go that frequently.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I said walks, but those translate to hikes for me. Always on leash for us, but sometimes long lead depending on where we are/if anyone's around. Not so much during the summer months, as parks get crowded around here, but in the winter I'm able to do lots on 20-foot leads. In the summer, the walks are really just to get some energy out so that training is a bit easier. That's really what tires them. They will generally only play little bits throughout the day, and almost never in the yard (sometimes I don't even know why I bother having a fenced in yard LOL). Jari, however, will get them to play more than they used to and will take turns going from one to another frequently hahaha.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

FRISBEE!! (Which was not listed )

I can't wait until she is old enough to go running with me! SO SO EXCITED!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.