Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Thanks, guys! Both for the suggestions and being understanding. <3 I really appreciate it. I was afraid to post but now I'm glad I did.

I fed TOTW knowing full well it was a Diamond product, and I felt fine about it. Its ingredients satisfied me and my dogs did very well on it. It's just the combination of a higher influx of people saying it's bad because of that and the recalls. It's the recalls that bother me most, though that's happened with a lot of brands. Feeding raw would be ideal but that's not an option now.

Fromm is looking good to me right now, though would Millie be okay eating the adult formula (she's 11) or would I have to buy a Senior bag for her? She's not as active as Fable, but she's still just as active as most dogs much younger than her.

I'm sorry for all the questions! It just used to be so simple. Grain free, check. Affordable, check. All life stages, check. Endorsed by Chazzers, check.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey was never on the senior formula, and she was 16.

ETA: She was on the four star lines, because i like then best. Both grain inckusive and grain free, she was fine on.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Thanks, guys! Both for the suggestions and being understanding. <3 I really appreciate it. I was afraid to post but now I'm glad I did.

I fed TOTW knowing full well it was a Diamond product, and I felt fine about it. Its ingredients satisfied me and my dogs did very well on it. It's just the combination of a higher influx of people saying it's bad because of that and the recalls. It's the recalls that bother me most, though that's happened with a lot of brands. Feeding raw would be ideal but that's not an option now.

Fromm is looking good to me right now, though would Millie be okay eating the adult formula (she's 11) or would I have to buy a Senior bag for her? She's not as active as Fable, but she's still just as active as most dogs much younger than her.

I'm sorry for all the questions! It just used to be so simple. Grain free, check. Affordable, check. All life stages, check. Endorsed by Chazzers, check.
Maybe look into the Adult Gold formula or the Adult Classic formula? Not super high in protein or fat, and would probably work just as well for a non-active dog and a fairly active one.

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post

Fromm has two different lines (well, technically three, but I rarely see the third line anymore) - the Gold line and the Four-Star line. The Gold line formulas are all duck/chicken/lamb blends, they're grain-inclusive, and they come in puppy/adult/senior/large breed/small breed formulas. The Four-Star line are for all life stages, and have ten different flavors - five grain-inclusive, five grain-free. All of their formulas have similar calorie counts (350-400 kcals/cup) so there's not a drastic difference between the lines.

If you want something grain-free, I'd go with the grain-free Four-Star formulas. If you want something on the more affordable side, I'd go with the Gold or the grain-inclusive Four Stars.

ETA: I would definitely comparison shop and see where you can find the best deal. I just did a quick Amazon search and it seems they're selling the large bags for $10-15 more than we sell them for at work. Chewy.com seems to have the best pricing that I've seen, and I believe they have free shipping.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Top Dog

My problem with Diamond isn't the recall per se, but how they handled it and that the salmonella issue was because of a dirty facility. There was very little information sent out, what exactly was being recalled was confusing. NO trying to 'get back' customers with even reassurance that things are fixed, not to mention rebates or reaching out to people. There is virtually no retail support. And I used to be totally fine with Diamond before the last recall.

Fromm is great, IMO. I have fed the Classic on a regular basis, the Gold once in a while. And I am really comfortable with the company/put trust in it. My store prices are usually a tad cheaper than others, but Classic is $35/33lbs, and Gold is $43 for the big bag (33# too?). I want to say it is $46.99 for the Four Star line.

Earthborn is a pretty solid option too (and very comparable to TOTW). Earthborn has regular formulas and then grain-free that is a few dollars more. Skye and Zoie are primarily eating Earthborn GF Bison, and Romeo is eating Blue Buff Wilderness Healthy Weight.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I vote Fromm Gold!!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Original Twin

I have had VERY good luck with Nico on the Nutrisource grain free line. He has a very sensitive stomach and had been on Natural Balance his entire life. NB isn't my favorite food for a variety of reasons so I wanted to switch him, ESPECIALLY when his flavor jumped to 67 bucks a bag. It's a pretty darn good value for the money, too. the 15 pound bag lasts him a full month versus the 37 days that the 28 pound bag of NB did. Around here the Nutrisource grain free sells for about 45-50 bucks for the 30 pound bag. So I have cut his food costs in half and am now feeding a food that I am much happier with. I'll be switching Saga to either the seafood or lamb variety as soon as I run out of the Merrick I got for her at 50% off on an employee sale.

Speaking of Merrick, I have been super happy with their new formulas, too. Both the grain free and the grain inclusive. Saga really REALLY likes the pork grain free over all the other flavors, but she eats the grain inclusive lamb pretty well, too.