Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-25-2013, 02:16 AM
Top Dog

Default Proplan

So how bad is Proplan select chicken and brown rice? Yes I have a new Golden puppy I got him last week he is 12 weeks old. I was lost without Gunner and needed another boy. I will post pics soon. The breeder has him on this proplan but I don't want to switch him unless it is really bad. What should I switch to? I'm thinking Fromm but just not sure.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Love my pets

Here's a review I found on Proplan that you asked about:

http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodreviews/pro-plan/

2 Stars
Purina Pro Plan dog food gets a low review for dubious quality and a number of harmful ingredients that canines cannot digest.
The first ingredient listed is fresh chicken, but because it loses eighty percent of its weight during cooking, it should be positioned lower on the list. The more probable dominant ingredient on the list is brewer’s rice, or fragmented rice leftovers from processing, which is a cheap by-product that does not have real nutritional value. The food also contains poultry by-products, which are not fit for consumption and can include anything from defective eggs to talons and beaks that contain no nutritional value and can cause digestive upset.
Additionally, Pro Plan formulas make heavy use of corn gluten meal, which has been stripped of all beneficial carbohydrates and lacks essential amino acids.
Overall, Purina Pro Plan is a dog food that contains many cheap ingredients and has very little actual nutritional value in comparison with many dog foods touted as premium, and is not recommended for most dogs.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiefur View Post
The breeder has him on this proplan but I don't want to switch him unless it is really bad. What should I switch to? I'm thinking Fromm but just not sure.
Why don't you want to switch him?

Proplan's hardly great though dogs seem to do fine on it. Fromm is a far superior food IMO however. I'm just confused as to why you don't want to switch him unless Proplan is "really bad"? Does he have stomach issues or something?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

IMO, although the ingredients aren't "the best"...I have yet to see a dog do poorly on Pro Plan and I wouldn't criticize someone if they fed it.

That being sad, there are quite a few better foods for a much cheaper price. For the price of a bag of Pro Plan, there are many other better alternatives.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Big Dog

I feed Fromm's Grain Free formulas; typically we stick to the Game Bird formula, although I do really like their Surf and Turf as well.

Proplan is a pretty far cry from Fromm's regarding quality. I've also had really good luck switching dogs from lesser foods to Fromm's with almost no stomach issues. Fromm's is super easy to digest and usually it's all those nasty fillers that dogs have trouble adjusting to.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm All Ears

I would personally switch him to what your other dogs are eating. Makes things easier.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I believe Payton's breeder was feeding him ProPlan. I switched him cold turkey to TOTW when he came to live with me. I didn't want to go buy any ProPlan to transition him so I just did it cold turkey, and he was fine.

I don't know if I would call it "really bad" - I guess everybody's idea of really bad will vary - but I wouldn't say it's anything special either. I agree with just putting him on what your other dogs are eating.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Top Dog

My dog did very poorly on ProPlan, she chewed the fur off her tail, thighs, down her one side, and her ears were almost bald, the vet was convinced she had mites...nope the corn heavy ProPlan.

I would switch him to your current food.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Why don't you want to switch him?

Proplan's hardly great though dogs seem to do fine on it. Fromm is a far superior food IMO however. I'm just confused as to why you don't want to switch him unless Proplan is "really bad"? Does he have stomach issues or something?
Everywhere else I'm getting bashed for wanting to switch him and I'm being told it is a food show dogs use. My gut says it's bad but people can't understand why I want to switch him if he is doing good and his stool is good.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Would the Orijen be too much for him? I just hear that the grain free foods will make him grow too fast. With the Fromm what would be better Fromm Gold Puppy or Fromm chicken a la veg? My mom fed Chicken a la veg to her dogs when they were puppies. I just hear so many conflicting things about feeding Orijen to a puppy. Price does not matter I just want what would be best for a 12 week old Golden Retriever. Thanks for all of the help!