Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default Chaz Tips... Living with A Maturing Dog

I figured it'd be neat to have a thread where all of us can chime in with what we've experienced with our dogs aging, and what we're going through. Changes we've seen in our dogs and how we've changed along side them to cope with it. Plus, its always good to bounce ideas off of each-other - what is normal aging and what is health concerning to be persistent with advocating to our vets for their health.

Also, I know a lot of us have the same anxieties of our dogs aging... Nothing like a good old fashioned chaz support group

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM
Top Dog

Byron is treated as bubble dog now. We go slowly up and down stairs and I don't let blitz near him until I have already worn him out so he doesn't knock him over. He is very easily tipped over at times. Other times runs around just fine.

He overheats easier so we do short walks. He will keep going even if its not the best for him.

With tawny before she passed she would not eat on and off for a long time. Literally hand fed at times. It sucked. But she was always able to get around ok.

Gizmos corgi is older than Byron. She's 14. Vision is horrible but other than that she is doing great. But if her kennel is moved or door closed etc she just walks to where it should be or walks into it. Try not to move stuff anymore. I keep her away from people because she snaps at things that go by her quickly.

I hate having two oldies at the same time. So stressful at times.

I keep it in the back of my head that I feel I let ginger go on to long in pain and tell myself ill take them In earlier but I dunno hard to say a specific time and it happened again with tawny. I think when Byron can't walk good but I had said when he couldn't play and really sucks I have to keep him away from blitz. Ugh.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 06-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Aware

Shadow's very much slowed down, not that she was ever a terribly "fast" dog to begin with :P

Still a love for training, but very content to lay around the rest of the time. Still loves going for walks and swims, going to try dock diving for the first time tomorrow. She's a really easy keeper. Always has been.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 06-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Other than being (in the past) reluctant to go down stairs, Kiba doesn't normally act a day older than 3, and she'll be 9 in a few weeks. Duralactin and GylcoFlex II has gotten her back to being a PITA.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

With both Blackie and Rose, I was able to tell a difference between "normal" aging and "this isn't right". And, in my experience, if you even THINK that "this isn't right", get them in to the vet ASAP. You are probably right, and catching things early will give you that much more time with them.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 AM
rotties are my kryptonite

Nat is almost 14; she can't hear a thing anymore, and I wonder how well she sees. She sleeps a lot anymore, but she still finds great joy in "patrolling the yard" with my SO. She "tap dances" when she's excited about something, and eats and drinks normally. We found oral melanoma on her last month, so she pretty much gets whatever she wants. She's on Rimadyl once daily.

Zellie just turned 10, and I can definitely see her getting older. She's slow to rise in general and she cracks & pops a lot. She'll still chase a ball and I believe she still sees & hears just fine. She gets Rimadyl as needed.

The other dogs are 2 and ~8 years old, so I'm not seeing a ton of aging in them yet. It is definitely no fun to watch them get older though. When I first realized that Natty was deaf, I cried & cried.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 AM
such sights to show you

I take a daily denial supplement and it seems to help.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Bamm has definitely slowed down some as far as energy level is concerned. He is doing better around other dogs for the most part as long as they are easy going dogs since he doesn't have a lot of patience for bouncy crazy. Not sure how he manages to tolerate Joey so well.

He now takes a joint supplement which seems to be helping him somewhat and he is pretty darn interested in doing disc. Wish I had thought to try that out with him when he was younger. We are starting to do it for fun though.

His anxiety levels do seem worse and he is little harder to predict than he used to be I think but maybe that's just me since I'm around him all the time and probably don't notice things an outsider with a trained eye might.

I have mixed feelings about him getting older. Sometimes I feel at peace with it and sometimes I worry about losing him. I go back and forth.

My other two are still young and Cricket is going to live forever so.....
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

My key has been trusting myself to know when something isn't working/has stopped being as effective, and try something else.

Buzz isn't taking any of the supplements he started taking years ago, but is certainly taking a variety of them!

His biggest issue is making sure I keep this kidney crap under control. I've learned that I have a pretty good idea what the bloodwork will show based on how he's feeling and acting.

Trust yourself!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 AM
such sights to show you

Seriously, I think it's just a matter of being really aware of what is normal and being alert for changes, and being a good problem solver. A lot of logistical things that get harder for dogs as they get older, especially with regard to mobility, just need some minor adjustments to the environment to really, really help them a lot... but what those are will vary with your home, layout, flooring, steps, etc. Have to be creative sometimes.

And patience. Lots of patience. When I'm 100 years old, I sincerely hope whoever is my caregiver understands that my body doesn't work as well as it once did and I might need a little slack.