Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

Default WWYD - Neighbor's Kids

The neighbors have 3 grandsons that are probably like 8-13 years old. I have no idea, honestly.

Just a minute ago, I noticed in my periphery a human scurrying around in my backyard. For a quick second, I thought it was my SO, but then realized he was in the bedroom watching TV. I walked out, and it was one of the kids. He and his brothers had hit like 3 baseballs into our yard, and that little turd climbed my rickety old fence to get them.

He was making a run for it, but I stopped him dead in his tracks and asked him very nicely not to climb my fence again. He started moving again, and I asked had he not heard me; he said yes and continued on his journey back over the fence. I then asked him if his grandparents were home, and the grandmother pipes up and goes, "I told him not to hit them over your fence."

Yes, well. The grandfather has told them that before too, and clearly they don't listen. I told the grandmother that if they hit the balls over the fence, just send them to my front door and I'm happy to go retrieve the balls for them, and reiterated that my fence was not made for children to climb, and oh by the way I have five dogs. She said okay and I went back inside.

This isn't the first time they've jumped the fence, and I know my SO has talked to them about it before (them being the kids & the grandparents). Clearly, talking isn't doing anything, so what I do I do to prevent this in the future? We are saving for a new privacy fence, but it's going to take a while to save the money to fence in an acre.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

My guess is the kids are intimidated by you. I'd try and befriend them a little so they don't feel awkward coming to your front door. I think you should explain directly to the kids in as chill a way as you can that you don't mind getting the balls for them, but you don't like people in your yard because of the dogs, etc.

Also, if you have any guardy dogs, might be an idea to introduce them to the kids so there's less of a chance of a problem if the kids are naughty and climb the fence while the dogs are out.

Also, motion sprinklers? If you set them high enough you should be able to target only humans right near the fence line.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

.....Maybe I'm just a tad harsh, but a bit of hottape run along the top wouldn't maim them for life. And bonus points for keeping out critters or anything else that would climb over your fence.

Just let the grandparents know that you are doing it so there's due warning.

Otherwise, if there's ever a time you're outside and a ball comes over, just throw it back or ask them to come around to the door and you'll meet them there. Give them a glass of lemonade or something and ask them to take it easy in the heat.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
.....Maybe I'm just a tad harsh, but a bit of hottape run along the top wouldn't maim them for life. And bonus points for keeping out critters or anything else that would climb over your fence.

Just let the grandparents know that you are doing it so there's due warning.

Otherwise, if there's ever a time you're outside and a ball comes over, just throw it back or ask them to come around to the door and you'll meet them there. Give them a glass of lemonade or something and ask them to take it easy in the heat.
ahhahahahhhaaa

(it would be funnier if you didn't tell them first but I suppose telling them is the humane way to go about it...)
Old 06-23-2013, 03:15 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

The kids came to my door previously when StiXxX escaped the yard. I was very thankful and kind to them, obviously.

I'm very fortunate that none of my dogs are guardy, per se, but I have two Rottweilers that are large enough to hurt a kid just by knocking them off balance. I also have a geriatric chow that is deaf, going blind and startles easily. StiXxX can be a jerk sometimes and will lash out if he feels threatened. Zellie is the happiest dog ever, but is still large enough to knock a kid over.

I guess my biggest issue is that these kids are trespassing, and by the grandparents ignoring verbal requests for them to stop, they are condoning it. We have offered them another option to retrieve their balls, and they are ignoring that as well.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
This is what I was thinking as well. I personally wouldn't tell anyone jack, because its YOUR property, but maybe I'm a little cruel :P
Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Barbed wire.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Barbed wire.
Seriously. Or chicken wire, or spiky things, or anything as a visual deterrent.

You've asked nicely, you've talked to those in charge...not sure what else you can do. Your concerns are legitimate.

Are the kids' parents ever around? Can you cut them off sometime when they are picking up munchkins from G&G's, and explain the situation to them? Parents might be more likely to discipline than grandparents.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 PM
F150 and a .30-06

I vote for the hot tape too, and DONT tell them. Stay the F out of my yard!

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Top Dog

The hot tape I use for most of the back yard works well on kids.

Actuall felt horrible when I did see one girl run up to the fence and full out grab it. Horses knew what was gonna happen and they ran lol!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber