Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

I have a lengthy therapy history. I am currently looking for my ninth therapist. Some just didn't fit, some had to leave, etc. My inbox is open to anyone who wants advice or just wants to talk. Just putting that out there.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Good for you!
Also, keep in mind that a lot of times the first person you see might not be the right one. It's typical to "shop around" for the right therapist.
That's what I've been reading! I'm definitely prepared to find the right therapist, not just a therapist. No point in talking to someone that doesn't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
If you feel like you're ready, then I HIGHLY recommend it. I ALWAYS feel better after leaving my therapist. I've had one for over a year, and she's amazing. She doesn't hand me what I need to do on a silver platter, she actually makes me work towards helping myself, and just gives me the tools to get there. I found her because she was the only one that worked with my original two reasons I wanted therapy, (my depression and autism in adults) but she's helped me in so many different ways it's crazy.

Seeing a therapist doesn't make you weak, it makes you smart. You realize you need help and that seeking help is strong. Saying "I Need Help" is one of the hardest things to do, for me at least. A most of my family is supportive. They've seen the positive changes going to therapy has brought about. I know there is sort of stigma about seeing one, but people need to get over it. I think a CRAPLOAD of people I know could benefit GREATLY from just going and talking to a therapist.

An uninvolved third party can see SO much more than an involved second party. My husband was very hesitant at first about me going because he felt like I should just be able to talk to him (which I do) but having that uninvolved input has helped our relationship, it's helped me be able to cope in the world much better, and hell, it even helped me realize that I COULD go to college and succeed. It's been wonderful. I look forward to our meetings every week or every two weeks depending on how I'm feeling. I hate when I miss an appointment because I've been sick or slept past the time that I needed to get up to get there because I always always leave her office feeling wonderful and just, happy. It's been a great experience.

That's my two cents anyway.
I'm really lucky in that all my family & friends are totally supportive of therapy. Most of my immediate family has been in therapy at one point or another. In my social circle there's really no stigma surrounding it, which is nice. It would be a lot harder for me if there was.

My biggest hang up is the recurring thought of "what difference is it going to make?" and I KNOW that's not the attitude to have toward it. I've lived with my depression & anxiety for so long that I'm pretty good at managing it on my own. I feel like I would need therapy more to work through things happening in my childhood - my dad getting heavily involved in drugs, leaving the family, my issues at school, etc. That persisting thought is that, well, talking to someone isn't going to change what happened, so why bother? But logically I know that's not the point. It's working through my feelings and learning to manage it and get past it. In some ways I still have that feeling, but I'm trying to ignore it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
I have a lengthy therapy history. I am currently looking for my ninth therapist. Some just didn't fit, some had to leave, etc. My inbox is open to anyone who wants advice or just wants to talk. Just putting that out there.
I might hit you up some time, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it and I'm sure others do too

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

My brother tried to watch the last episdoe of Sherlock with me but I kicked him out because spoilers (he hasn't seen any episodes).

Last night I tried to convince him to watch the first episode of Sherlock and he kept refusing. I started it whike he was in the bathroom getting ready for bed.hee came, sat on the couch, and didn't move for the next 90 minutes

So now he's hooked and I have a reason to watch then all a 3rd time lol
Old 01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Sport Model Pug

Birdy painting

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I wonder if I could just find a building that would let me rent it out for a weekend and bring people in for agility seminars. Nobody here has anybody worthwhile, or if they do, they're not very good at publicizing it.

If nobody will bring people worth having in, maybe I just need to find a way to bring them in myself...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
sometimes in life you've gotta bang the hot guy.

...for america.
I nearly spit out my coffee. Thank you for this. Obviously, gonna be a great day.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I wonder if I could just find a building that would let me rent it out for a weekend and bring people in for agility seminars. Nobody here has anybody worthwhile, or if they do, they're not very good at publicizing it.

If nobody will bring people worth having in, maybe I just need to find a way to bring them in myself...
I've been half-assed browsing for a building I can rent just to have some enclosed, open space to work my dogs...possibly for a trainer friend to host classes...and possibly to gain some agility equipment and store there. Yeah, no, not happening. I can't find anything cheap enough (everyone wants $1000+/month). Actually I'm going to a facility tomorrow, but it's not just training space, we haven't talked numbers yet and I'm scared.

Although, there are facilities here that will rent the rings for a full day for like $300.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post

The building we rented for our UKC match was plenty large to have agility in (we had obedience, rally, and conformation and only had half the building), and it was either $50 or $100 for a day, I can't remember. It's our county extension center, so see if there's something like that near you.

Where I work, we rent out space for events, too. We couldn't have a dog event, but I'm sure there are similar places that would. Our rental rates are surprisingly low, too.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I've been half-assed browsing for a building I can rent just to have some enclosed, open space to work my dogs...possibly for a trainer friend to host classes...and possibly to gain some agility equipment and store there. Yeah, no, not happening. I can't find anything cheap enough (everyone wants $1000+/month). Actually I'm going to a facility tomorrow, but it's not just training space, we haven't talked numbers yet and I'm scared.

Although, there are facilities here that will rent the rings for a full day for like $300.
want to rent out the 2nd floor of my barn? I'll rent it to you if you also train Hudson. You just have to contend with the bats.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

I looked briefly this afternoon for a building to buy or lease should I completely lose my mind and decide to quit my job for the world of owning a dog sport facility, and there's really nothing here that's big enough for what I would want for that purpose. I think I'd need to get some land and build.

There's an indoor soccer place here, but I can't find anything about renting their building for more than just by the hour. I've been to trials that are at rented-out indoor soccer places so I know it happens...
Flooring is a major consideration for any kind of agility work and limits what I could rent. If the weather was guaranteed to be nice, I could potentially rent space at one of our local parks, but if the weather is bad there's nowhere to go.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog