Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
I'm seriously considering seeking therapy.

I have a few reasons, but even thinking about it is a huge step for me. The last time I was in therapy, I was about 10, and it did no good because I didn't want to be there so I didn't cooperate at all. My memories of therapy all amount to "I hate this, why am I here, I hate talking to people."

So... we'll see where this goes, I guess. I have a metric ****ton of issues that I should probably try to work through, finally, instead of just vaguely dealing with it on my own.
((((hugs)))) You can always try it? The worst thing that would happen is that you realize you're not ready for therapy.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
((((hugs)))) You can always try it? The worst thing that would happen is that you realize you're not ready for therapy.
Thank you Yeah, I think I'll go for it. You're right that there's not a whole lot to lose! If it's not a good fit, well, oh well. If it does help, then that would be amazing. I just need to find one now.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
Top Dog

I dreamed that BeAu was texting an old ex. Then she died somehow.

Woke up and told him about it, laughed, went back to sleep. Woke up again to him shouting, BABE WHAT DID YOU DO. Someone messaged him letting him know that this same ex had died back in 2011. Strange for him because he had no idea, last he knew he had slept with her and then talked a bit a few months later. But nothing since 2011.

Jokes about how I went back in time in a dream to kill someone aside, it's sorta sad she died. I didn't know her, but from what I heard she wan't a terrible person. But it is sorta creepy that I dream that sort of thing then he gets the news. About the same ex, even.

Makes you sorta wonder about life and where all the past people you knew are now, though. I think it's safe to assume everyone always imagines they are alive somewhere.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Thank you Yeah, I think I'll go for it. You're right that there's not a whole lot to lose! If it's not a good fit, well, oh well. If it does help, then that would be amazing. I just need to find one now.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Good for you!
Also, keep in mind that a lot of times the first person you see might not be the right one. It's typical to "shop around" for the right therapist.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

OMG. The Devils Due Prank ad. Just wrong and funny in equal measure.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:16 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
If you feel like you're ready, then I HIGHLY recommend it. I ALWAYS feel better after leaving my therapist. I've had one for over a year, and she's amazing. She doesn't hand me what I need to do on a silver platter, she actually makes me work towards helping myself, and just gives me the tools to get there. I found her because she was the only one that worked with my original two reasons I wanted therapy, (my depression and autism in adults) but she's helped me in so many different ways it's crazy.

Seeing a therapist doesn't make you weak, it makes you smart. You realize you need help and that seeking help is strong. Saying "I Need Help" is one of the hardest things to do, for me at least. A most of my family is supportive. They've seen the positive changes going to therapy has brought about. I know there is sort of stigma about seeing one, but people need to get over it. I think a CRAPLOAD of people I know could benefit GREATLY from just going and talking to a therapist.

An uninvolved third party can see SO much more than an involved second party. My husband was very hesitant at first about me going because he felt like I should just be able to talk to him (which I do) but having that uninvolved input has helped our relationship, it's helped me be able to cope in the world much better, and hell, it even helped me realize that I COULD go to college and succeed. It's been wonderful. I look forward to our meetings every week or every two weeks depending on how I'm feeling. I hate when I miss an appointment because I've been sick or slept past the time that I needed to get up to get there because I always always leave her office feeling wonderful and just, happy. It's been a great experience.

That's my two cents anyway.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

With all the therapist talk, what's the best way to begin looking for one?

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
With all the therapist talk, what's the best way to begin looking for one?
I used psychology today to find one close to me, with good reviews that worked with all of my issues and accepted my insurance and my co-pay.

ASD, PTSD, Seizures, Depression and GID. Or just Gender dysphoria according to the new DSM.

I was prepared to shop around until I found one that I clicked with, but I got incredibly lucky on my first try and I've been seeing her for more than a year now.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Why must it be so hard to design an engagement ring? Gaahhh!!!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff