Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
orange iguanas.

Now everywhere I go, my nerdiness will be on display:

But it only cost me $3! How could I NOT buy it??

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 PM
Silence, peasants.

Today I learned that some people I thought were ok and nice are really, really not. Not really a vent because after initial upset ness, I was like 'why do I care about these doinks?' And got over it. Just, surprising. And I miss some people I'm surprised I miss, and it's making me nostalgic and hum. Very much a musing.

Also, why do these questions have to be so sick?

Why the heck is a cat missing THREE LEGS!!??

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Twin 2.0

Given that I just spent money on snowboarding equipment, I should be happy it's snowing, right?

But it's October 4th. It's too early for snow!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:03 PM
orange iguanas.

So conflicted.
Have to go into work 1.5 hours early tomorrow for a staff meeting: NAY.
Meeting is a lunch and learn, so I get free Noodles & Co for lunch: YAY.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
So conflicted.
Have to go into work 1.5 hours early tomorrow for a staff meeting: NAY.
Meeting is a lunch and learn, so I get free Noodles & Co for lunch: YAY.

The only lunch and learns I ever liked were Merial's, because FREE FRONTLINE AND HEARTGARD YAY! lol
Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Top Dog

How does one tell if a therapist/counselor is "good" or not? Have had several sessions, but how does one tell if her methods/style/advice is sound? Just gut instinct?

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-07-2013, 10:08 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
The only lunch and learns I ever liked were Merial's, because FREE FRONTLINE AND HEARTGARD YAY! lol
Yeah this one won't be as cool lol. We're just learning about the different medicated shampoos. Because we realized there's quite a few, but none of us actually know what they do lol.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Yeah this one won't be as cool lol. We're just learning about the different medicated shampoos. Because we realized there's quite a few, but none of us actually know what they do lol.
I *love* our medicated shampoos. I worked on the grooming side for about 5 years - they work and do WONDERS for skin conditions when used as directed. I think the proper medicated shampoo can make or break a successful treatment of a skin/coat issue.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
How does one tell if a therapist/counselor is "good" or not? Have had several sessions, but how does one tell if her methods/style/advice is sound? Just gut instinct?
gut instinct mostly.
(also, if possible, a chat with a long time client or two. I happened to find them and get a recommendation TO my current therapist)

IMO it takes a few sessions to feel each other out.
I like a therapist that has a plan, that doesn't ruffle easily, that isn't there to give me "feel good points" or coddle, that gives me tools to cope/deal (other than more sessions),that listens intently and gives feedback, that asks me questions that help ME get to the root of my problem, not try to find them himself and spoon feed them to me.

AKA:
I've had therapists that do this..
"The problem is your feelings towards mother. You feel inadequate because she did x, y, z."
Instead of this..
"How did you come to that conclusion? Where do you feel the pressure comes from? What are the standards you hold yourself to? Who are you really angry at?"

I need to go down the rabbit hole MYSELF and figure out the problem..it's like teaching! You don't just give them answers you give them the tools to cope, to find the answers within themselves.

Oh and don't ask me how I feel or tell me how I feel. Feelings are complicated, I am trying my best to explain them but nodding your head and saying. "How does that make you feel?" makes me want to stab you with a pencil.

IMO a good therapist should make you feel secure, listened to, but also should not be afraid to poke at your issues, to make you dig deeper, and should have a plan in place that you are comfortable with on how to deal with whatever you throw at him/her.
They all have ideologies and methods, you've just gotta find one that you feel would work for you.

There is no one size fits all. Some people like therapists that are more like friends (sounding boards, they give advice, they bring in their lives/real world examples, they chat..) some like more professional demeanors.. there are methods that are drastic and new, and some more old school.
Slow and steady or fast paced and tackling issues head one.. some people need tough love and some need to be taken slowly or they shut down..

Took me about 9 therapists to find one that was just right lol and I've had a few that were GREAT, just not what I needed.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The answer will vary slightly by person, but for me it was a combination of feeling comfortable with the way they present the difficult questions, how they help me work through it, and overall, if I feel their system and technique will mesh with me.

(I went through a few before finding one that truly felt right. Don't feel badly if you think you should try someone else.)

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014