The musing thread

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Are Hyundai's reliable?

I'm really loving the looks (and prices I've been finding!) of the Eleantra GT. But I don't know much about them.... or Hyundai in general for that matter.

Hmmmm.

My other options include Nissan Rogue and Honda Accord.
My boyfriend has an older Hyundai Elantra hatchback manual that he bought used. I think it's a .....2003? Don't quote me on that though, but it's definitely early 2000's.

he loves it, and even though he hasn't kept it in the best shape cleaning wise, it hasn't shown any signs of breaking down on us. It's definitely a reliable car with good gas milage and no car payment (lol) so we like it. :p

I have a Hyundai as well and I have to say, after dealing with Toyota for years, Hyundai is so much more pleasant to work with! In my (limited) experience with them they have been super easy to work with and very willing to help/friendly. I haven't had any issues with my car so far, but it's still pretty new. I know one other guy who swears by hyundais, but I don't know specifics.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Are Hyundai's reliable?

I'm really loving the looks (and prices I've been finding!) of the Eleantra GT. But I don't know much about them.... or Hyundai in general for that matter.

Hmmmm.

I just bought an '04 Elantra GLS/GT Hatchback (also a stick shift).

I absolutely adore this car. Apart from a common issue of EVAP codes for emissions (usually from previous owners overfilling the gas tank chronically) they don't seem to have a huge amount of issues.

The gas mileage (coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee here) is AMAZING. I fill up ONCE a week. And it's like 35 bucks to fill up. And I drive ALL week on ONE tank of gas. I really love that part lol.

Mine is really clean, the interior is in perfect condition, the engine does need a new valve cover, but that's not something I can't fix. Overall, they're really reliable, (mine is totally bigger on the inside too, lol) lots of space in the hatchbacks for any and everything, pretty easy to take care of as well.

I haven't dealt with a dealership with them at all though. I do almost all of my own repairs (I'm also in automechanic school, so if I can't fix it, there's someone there who can).

I also got it super cheap, with super low mileage (89k) for an '04. I had my bank look up the worth/loan amount on it, and it's worth nearly twice what I paid for it.

joce

Newer hyundais are much more reliable than the older ones. Still would not touch Kia with a ten foot pole.

I've really liked the nissans we have had. Held up in bad wrecks and take the abuse I give my vehicles.

GingerKid

Are Hyundai's reliable?

Hmmmm.

My husband has the Elantra GT. And we both LOVE it. My biggest complaint it the clutch is really light, especially compared to my '98 civic (so... its not really a valid complaint and I probably wouldn't notice if my car was an automatic or if I didn't have one at all). I really love the seat warmers and the panoramic moon roof. We've both decided that we are never buying an automatic transmission again, if we can help it.

We've only had it for about a year, so I can't really give you any first-hand experience with reliability, but the new Hyundais are supposed to be just as reliable as Hondas and Toyotas. We didn't try either of the cars you're looking at, but the interior of the Hyundai definitely feels high-quality, especially compared to other vehicles in the same category. We looked at the Dodge Dart, the Fiat 500, Honda Civic (which, aside from the body shape, literally hasn't changed in 15 years apparently - the one we test drove felt EXACTLY the same as my '98 Civic), the Mazda 3, the Nissan Sentra, and the Subaru Impreza. The only ones that came close for us in features were the Impreza, for the 4-wheel drive, and the Mazda 3, but both were significantly more expensive and we really didn't like how the Mazda 3 drove or our experience at the Mazda dealership. After telling him we were 100% not buying a car that day, the guy spent the entire test drive texting, and then wasted over an hour sitting around waiting for him to "talk to his manager". Needless to say, we left and didn't go back.

Our experience at the Hyundai dealership was... awesome. The salesperson we had was very personable, and by far the least pushy of the salespeople that we dealt with.

The price for Hyundais is so great because they only offer limited trim levels that have set features - i.e. if you want additional features, you have to go up a trim level. I personally think it is a great business model because it allows them to produce a higher quality product for lower costs, and (in my view) also gets the buy far more value for money. It also makes buying less complicated, since the salespeople have fewer thing with which to upsell you. :D But it is something to be aware of if you don't want to be "stuck" with the features of a particular trim. Lastly, unless they changed it since 2013, the Elantra also does not come in the top trim level (GTS) with a stick-shift.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
We have a wall in the living room that I think I would like to do a canvas photo arrangement on. However, I don't know what photos to use, or how to arrange them. I live a hard life.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Make a bookmark on the bookmarks bar of your web browser with this script as the web page address:

javascript:var i,s,ss=['http://kathack.com/js/kh.js','http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.1/jquery.min.js'];for(i=0;i!=ss.length;i++){s=document.createElement('script');s.src=ss;document.body.appendChild(s);}void(0);

... then click it on any website.

Now you can be as unproductive at work as I have been today. Derp. :eek:

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Seems like they are good cars... and they are pretty legit looking too, not even gonna lie :p

There is an Elantra that I absolutely love, exactly everything I want, but it's in Daytona Beach, which is quite a drive from here. That being said, I will be in Daytona for 1 week in July. If they still have it then and if we have time (will be there for a conference), I might just get a new car then... most likely not though, haha.

What I really need to do is take the time to test drive ALL the cars that I'm interested in. I just haven't done it. Maybe this weekend if we don't end up taking Harleigh to the park...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Three of my facebook friends just had individual trips down to Disney and have been posting photos.

I now want a Disney vacation. Last time I went I was...10? And I don't think Michael's ever been. o_O I bet experiencing things as an adult would be SO much fun.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Seems like they are good cars... and they are pretty legit looking too, not even gonna lie :p

There is an Elantra that I absolutely love, exactly everything I want, but it's in Daytona Beach, which is quite a drive from here. That being said, I will be in Daytona for 1 week in July. If they still have it then and if we have time (will be there for a conference), I might just get a new car then... most likely not though, haha.

What I really need to do is take the time to test drive ALL the cars that I'm interested in. I just haven't done it. Maybe this weekend if we don't end up taking Harleigh to the park...
If you're buying Hyundai, get a standard. They were prone back in the days to transmissions going in the automatics.

crazedACD

Three of my facebook friends just had individual trips down to Disney and have been posting photos.

I now want a Disney vacation. Last time I went I was...10? And I don't think Michael's ever been. o_O I bet experiencing things as an adult would be SO much fun.
Meh :p I don't enjoy it very much as an adult. I did live near Busch Gardens in Tampa though and went all the time as a teenager (Florida resident season passes)..so Disney just seems unbearably overcrowded and there isn't as much to do.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney

It is SOOOOO much fun. Just don't go when schools are out over the summer (although really... who wants to SUMMER in florida. blech lol), spring break or Christmas and the crowds really won't be bad at all. We go beginning of December normally and walk onto the majority of rides with no wait. the last time we went in December the longest wait was 10 minutes :)

The thrill rides are awesome, the non thrill rides are so amazingly themed that they are still thrilling LOL and the fireworks and parades are incredible (they have a brand new parade at MK that I can't wait to see in person... they have a maleficent steampunk dragon that breathes FIRE... so cool).

4 parks full of stuff to do and if you get tired of walking the parks there are dozens of a resorts that have tons of cool things to do and see :)

Brian and I personally like to battle each other on Buss lightyears space ranger spin and Toy story Midway Mania. they are rides and a game tied into one lol. You shoot your laser or whatever your ammo is in midway mania at the targets and you rack up points... I may or may not be undefeated in Midway mania LOL

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Starting to think that maybe 3.5 hours of sleep isn't enough to deal with crazy clients?

But tonight I'm making JELLO SHOTS! Woooo!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
You know you are a nerd and play WAY too many RPGs when you are watching your husband play The Stick of Truth and getting frustrated because he's not taking it seriously (aka, not buying the best equipment, not fighting correctly, not caring about the quest, etc.). :rofl1: I need help. LOL

And: Michael said he'd love to go to Disney, too. Yey! Maybe later this year! :D We could totally go for our anniversary/my birthday in December if he gets time off.

GingerKid

You know you are a nerd and play WAY too many RPGs when you are watching your husband play The Stick of Truth and getting frustrated because he's not taking it seriously (aka, not buying the best equipment, not fighting correctly, not caring about the quest, etc.). :rofl1: I need help. LOL

And: Michael said he'd love to go to Disney, too. Yey! Maybe later this year! :D We could totally go for our anniversary/my birthday in December if he gets time off.
LOL! I have the same way with my husband! His default action in D&D, regardless of the situation or character class, is "I drink a horn of mead". :doh:

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Why can you like your own posts on FB? Is this just to tempt me to like my own posts? IT WOULD BE SO EASY TO FIX THAT. *...likes own posts*.

Members online