Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I miss having a snake

Once we have a house, or the rattie girls are gone, I will have a rosy boa. I loved my BP, but I don't think I'd have another.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Agility freak!

The boyfriend is looking at a Salmon Boa right now... Anyone know anything about them?

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Rosy boas.

And Morongo Valley

There are tons more. Tons.
Whoa- they are ALL gorgeous, but this one is just amazing! How hard are these types to find?

I always go back and forth on wanting a snake. I've researched a lot about corn snakes, as I've been interested in them for the past couple of years.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

I have 2 corn snakes, a dwarf boa, a hognose, and a green tree python. For beginners, I think the corns and hognose are awesome. The hognose is probably the cutest little thing ever. The boa and python are both more testy. The python will bite you faster than you can blink. She's nuts.

Snakes by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Hognose by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Snakes by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Dahlia by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Jade by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Jade by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Corn snakes by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Old 06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Puppy Dog

I'll post some pics up later but i have blood pythons, ball pythons and a red tail boa
Old 06-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Agility freak!

Looking forward to more pictures from people! I think we're going to go with the Boa, if by the time we're ready it's still available. I figure if we're gonna have one snake that big, we should only just have the one, so I likely won't get another, even though I want a corn or a king... or a piebald ball python, lol. But meh, I will love the boa, I am sure.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Agility freak!

I posted in the other pet section of the forum, but here's our new baby:

Old 06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I keep corn snakes and recently began a breeding program. I'm pretty passionate about them. I have nine corn snakes. As pets, they are generally have very mellow temperaments, are easy to handle, and hardy eaters. They do require a bit of startup investment in order to have a proper habitat setup, but their living/feeding costs once they are established are very reasonable. Also, they are available in a bunch colors and patterns.

^^ Of course, this is the short short SHORT summary version about their care, but I have the capacity to write a book if I don't limit myself. LOL

Sadly, I don't have any recent photos uploaded anywhere handy, but I do have a few threads already posted here on the forum (listed starting with the most recent):

http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153289 << This thread is actually kind of boring... it's just my rack system setup.
http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131216
http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118894
http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118192
http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117760

Again, these photos are all seriously old. I'm really embarrassed that I don't have anything newer to share. I will try to update with a new thread of pictures in the next couple weeks.

I also have a Mexican Black Kingsnake. Their habitat and feeding requirements are very similar to corns, as has been stated. I will say that their temperaments are very different. I wouldn't say they are aggressive, but they are far more prone to be naughty. My MBK has been known to throw a temper tantrum when you try to get him out of his viv, but once he's out and being handled he's a doll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
Okay, I have recently discovered Pied Sided Corn Snakes! I want one.

Anyone know of any good snake breeders in Canada, or know if you can ship them from the states to Canada? And any idea how much that would cost.
While I can't come up with who/where they are off the top my head, I belong to a corn snake community that does have a couple Canadian breeders. I will get back to you as soon as I can track them down.

As for shipping, I don't know what it would be to ship from the US to Canada, and to be honest, I'm not 100% certain whether that is legal. I'll have to look it up. Anyway, within the US, I can say that it's typically in the ballpark of $50-60 USD for shipping through FedEx (which is the only certified reptile shipping option available at the moment).

Hope that helps!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:14 AM
Puppy Dog

I can't seem to find the pics of my bloods, i will search my other computer later but for not

Old 06-30-2013, 03:02 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Whoa- they are ALL gorgeous, but this one is just amazing! How hard are these types to find?

I always go back and forth on wanting a snake. I've researched a lot about corn snakes, as I've been interested in them for the past couple of years.
They're mostly in the hands of really dedicated hobbyists, so the best way to find them is just google stuff like "rosy boa breeders", or if you know of a specific locale you want look for that. Classified ads will pop up here and there. Some of them have websites with pricelists posted, and those folks will often know how to contact people who also work with the same types but don't have an online presence.