Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

The reason I said not to personally warn the kids (though I think putting "danger electric fence" & "no tresspassing" or "private property" signs would be enough warning) because then they might. Figure out how to get around it & the whole effort would be in vain.

I also wouldn't use the tape, I would use just the run of the mill wire, just like the animals, I would want the kids not to know which wire was hot, then they might leave the whole fence alone after hitting it once.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I guess for me, I don't like people being "on my property". I grew up in the country with no close neighbors...we would let our one close neighbor use our field to walk their pigs for 4H, but that was about the extent of people just helping themselves to our land. When we lived in the suburbs when I was very young, my mom said that neighbor kids would not only just pop in and out of the yard, if the garage door was left open and we were outside it was an open invitation for other kids to come over and help themselves to our toys. I mean, REALLY?

If I ever live in town, I would NOT be okay with any child coming into my fenced yard. And I would not be above putting hot wire around the fence and saying it was "for the dogs". Not to hurt the kids, or make them afraid of me...but as a deterrent. And I would certainly reward them coming and asking me for the toys.

That may also be because I grew up to respect fences. If there is fence, it means DO NOT ENTER. If you were stupid enough to enter, there was typically barbed wire, electric fencing that was set to keep cattle off (a nice kick in the pants), or angry livestock/dogs. A fence is a barrier, and you don't cross it without explicit permission from the owner of said fence.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
If they're 8-13 years old IMO they're young enough to be kind of dumb about things still. They're probably just thinking it's much easier/quicker/less bothersome for them to just jump the fence and grab their ball. Probably not meaning any harm by it.
This is what I'm thinking as well. They probably just think that it's not harming anyone to just quickly climb over and retrieve their balls.

Even though you said you've already talked to the children and grandparents, I'd still try to get a "fresh" start before making any changes to the fence. Express your concerns about how you don't want them in your fence, assure them you will return the balls, etc, etc.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't want children inside my fence either. I just don't like the idea of putting maiming/hurting devices on my fence to keep out baseball playing kids

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

We hit a lot of balls and threw a bunch of frisbees over fences as kids. (That's what happens when you have a postage stamp California sized lot). If it was over the fence, it was gone. My parents would have beat my butt had they seen me climbing over fences into the neighbor's yard.

Can you put up a sign on the fence that says "Do not climb, please come knock" just as a last ditch effort to remind them before you go purchase/install some kind of deterrent?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
BBs have the potential to cause quite a bit more damage. Plus, you have to actually see the kid to shoot him... much less malicious to say "HEY IM LEAVING THIS ELECTRIC TAPE ALONG MY SIDE OF THE FENCE, IF YOU HOP IT YOU'LL GET SHOCKED" than "Hey, I see you there so I'm going to shoot you."
Aheh. The only difference is that one is passive and one is active. In either case you are using a painful (to varying degrees) deterrent.

BBs don't really hurt IME. I have two older brothers and got nailed with my more than my fair share of BBs as a kid. We also had a BB gun shooter in my neighborhood when I was a kid and in all honestly it made a lot of kids MORE likely to cut through his yard... it was like a challenge, running a gauntlet -- could they make it through without getting nailed?

I don't think there's any way that shooting kids with a BB gun would fly in this day and age, though. I'm not even sure the hot tape or barbed wire would fly in some areas.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

I'm a little surprised by the number of people that are really bothered by kids on their property. I live in a rural area of the state. My neighbors hike on our acreage and there are probably others that I don't know about. I don't remember them asking either. Kids cross into my property while playing too. I don't have a fence and fences aren't commonplace here.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Meh, to me there is a huge difference between acre and acreage. If I own 1 acre and it's my backyard, no I don't want other people or other animals in it. If I own 10 acreas and someone crosses over the back corner I wouldn't be too bothered. I would still be bothered though if they walked around the area right up close to the house that was obviously the "yard." It really all depends on how close to my house and my "personal space" they are.

So living in a suburb/city setting there isn't really enough space and no, I wouldn't want them in my yard.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinPinOwner View Post
I'm a little surprised by the number of people that are really bothered by kids on their property. I live in a rural area of the state. My neighbors hike on our acreage and there are probably others that I don't know about. I don't remember them asking either. Kids cross into my property while playing too. I don't have a fence and fences aren't commonplace here.
Because you don't live in a state that borders a country controlled by vicious drug cartels. Trust me in this day & age & with all the development due to them finding a huge oil vein out this way, which as expected brings more people out this way, which also means more crime.

We had to lock our front gate we have signs posted all over that say "no trespassing". Technically I don't have to verbally war people but I have before, I have ran marauding teenagers off my land before & I would do it again, again you have to understand that oftentimes I am by myself out here in the middle of nowhere where there is no fire/rescue & no police.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

kids aren't vicious drug cartels and if they were, hot wire, barbed wire and bb guns aren't going to mean ****
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
kids aren't vicious drug cartels and if they were, hot wire, barbed wire and bb guns aren't going to mean ****
Yea right, I'm kind of chuckling at drug cartels being deterred by a locked gate and "no trespassing" sign.