Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
They're kids though. once should be enough, but it never is.
Once should be plenty when speaking to other adults, no?

It's an incredibly frustrating situation that could be rectified should these folks have raised their bratty ass kids to my apparently very high standards.
my delicate little flower

Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenFlower View Post
Saw this meme on facebook. Couldn't help but think it was fitting.

I guess I'm just stuck on the fact that we have had to talk to them more than once. Call me crazy, but it's just common decency to respect other people's wishes, especially when they are very much so within the realm of reasonable.
LMBO I love grumpy cat! I really love the one that says "like a good neighbor ... STAY OVER THERE." xD

I'm sorry but I was raised that if something went over someone else's fence you went & knocked on their door & ASKED to get it, I actually see an epidemic of kids needing barrier control, I lost count how many kids I had to get on for crossing the fence into the walk way where the horses come out of the saddling paddock to get toys & whatnot (they have those games all over the place where you can win toys) a couple of times they tried it when the horses were coming!!!

So no ... It would be electric tape for me, though even I hsve to admit that barbed wire is a little excessive to use against kids.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

A motion detector sprinkler set in the vicinity of the fence line?

A neighbor of mine had one to keep the rodents out of her garden and while I was petsitting, I went out to water her plants and ended up getting attacked by the sprinkler! I came back drenched.

I would've said the basket on the fence and buying them a pack of baseballs, but if you really don't think the nice guy approach will work, a sprinkler seems a lot less intense than barbed wire, but still an aversion.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I'm sorry but I was raised that if something went over someone else's fence you went & knocked on their door & ASKED to get it, I actually see an epidemic of kids needing barrier control, I lost count how many kids I had to get on for crossing the fence into the walk way where the horses come out of the saddling paddock to get toys & whatnot (they have those games all over the place where you can win toys) a couple of times they tried it when the horses were coming!!!
Honestly, I can pretty much guarantee this is an area where kids are not getting "worse". It used to be pretty much kids ran around and played outside throughout the neighborhood and through yards pretty much all the time. With more and more control, scheduled activity, tv/games, etc this is getting lower.

Kids running around unsupervised and being kids has change a lot in the last generation or two...Now you have people calling and reporting 7 and 8 year olds walking around the block without a parent where several generations ago that was the norm.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

It's not the small kids I worry about its more the teenagers I worry about @_@.

I think people report it because they are worried more for the kids safety then the kid doing anything bad or something.

Yes at my house growing up we didn't even have cable, I think I had like ... 6 channels, 7 if you count the one that came in when the wind was blowing the antenna just right xD. But if one of my toys went I forge neighbors yard I always would go tell my mom & we would go over there together (when I was smaller) & politely ask for it back, usually they were very obliging & thankful we were thoughtful enough to ask.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Eh, I grew up in the country and in the horse fence we had both barbed wire and hot wire. I came into contact with both plenty of times and somehow survived....
This. Hot tape zings but isn't a big deal. I could get through it with no problem if I wanted to. Barbed wire is unlikely to actually hurt you if you know where it is.

Now, running through a tangle of it in the middle of the woods is really unpleasant. But I've yet to climb more than a couple fences with it on them - and while I never hurt myself, if I had, it would have been my own **** fault. Now it's enough of a visual deterrent to keep me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Yeah, I don't see hot wire as harmful. Barbed wire isn't appropriate. If you don't know it's there and take care to avoid it, it can really maim skin and ruin clothes. If you do know it's there, it's easy to avoid and not much of a deterrent. Plus it rusts, and that becomes a health hazard if it punctures skin.

But hot wire? I know TONS of people who use it on urban fences because their dogs climb fences, or cats come in the yard and either make messes or put themselves at risk of being killed by prey driven dogs, or to protect their urban hens from being killed by marauding raccoons. And yes, even to deter fence hopping neighbors. I don't see it as cruel to put one up, especially if kids get a heads up that it's there. If the kids decide to hop the fence anyway, well, they were warned.

I used to climb cattle fences all the time as a kid. They were combo barbed wire and hot wire. Barbed wire is totally easy to avoid. Hot wire nails you sometimes. It's annoying and stings, but doesn't even leave a welt. That's even if you do something stupid and land in the watering trough with your wet head touching the wire.

I would not approach them with ANY concern about the kids/dogs causing injury to each other. That's practically admitting that your dog has the potential to hurt a child. If something horrible DID happen, that can totally be used against you in court.

Personally I'd stick with things along the lines of, "The fence is old and not made to be climbed on. I'm afraid you kids might fall, or break a board and the dogs would get loose and run over by a car," etc.
Such good advice I wanted it on this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
It was pretty much-"if you touch it, it'll hurt" kind of deal.

I don't see it a specifically to hurt someone, it's specifically to keep people from trespassing.
It is not at all uncommon when you get out of town in this area to see barbed wire fences up with the intent of keeping people off the property. Barbed wire is a visible deterrent-shooting someone with a BB gun is a very different thing, IMHO.
I was going to type this but you beat me to it. It's cause = effect. Barbed wire is a GREAT visual deterrent. So is hot tape if the kids know what it is. If they're so stupid that they ignore your request and ignore your visual deterrents they will learn from a zing from a bit of hot tape.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I've already mentioned this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0091T7NGU
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

I'm sorry, its Darwinism. Touch a huge, 8 wire high, electric fence with danger signs all over you are clearly stupid. Mine doesn't sting. Mine maims.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I'm sorry, its Darwinism. Touch a huge, 8 wire high, electric fence with danger signs all over you are clearly stupid. Mine doesn't sting. Mine maims.
Your description makes me picture the T-rex fence enclosure from Jurassic Park. With the experiences you've had, you're pretty well justified in whatever makes you feel safe.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Your description makes me picture the T-rex fence enclosure from Jurassic Park. With the experiences you've had, you're pretty well justified in whatever makes you feel safe.
Pretty close actually! LOL

Our complex put it up. We had a small one that has been upgraded. Strangely enough, not one incident since the installation.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/