Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Big Dog

Default Running with a Dachshund?

I really want to do this C210k program I found to get back into running as I am SO out of shape! But I don't want to go alone, and I can't get a human to go with me. Olive is 9, almost 10 months old, do you think it would be ok for her? It starts out slow, 30 minutes of mostly walking for the first week, and its only 3 times a week. We already go on hour long walks, so I'm guessing that adding in a little running wouldn't be too hard on her?
Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Take her with you but she's gonna throw off your balance and stride AND she'll get heavy after about the first mile.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Take her with you but she's gonna throw off your balance and stride AND she'll get heavy after about the first mile.
I just bust out laughing.

To the OP: No. It's not okay to take your puppy jogging. Maybe when she's two. Or even a year and a half. Not when she's a puppy.

Maybe the beginning of the program would be fine, but taking her on long, forced jogs could be bad for her joints.

I have serious reservations as to whether a dachshund would be able to keep up with a jogger, though. Most that I've met have looked like they aren't built for distance running.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

To the OP: No. It's not okay to take your puppy jogging. Maybe when she's two. Or even a year and a half. Not when she's a puppy.

Maybe the beginning of the program would be fine, but taking her on long, forced jogs could be bad for her joints.

I have serious reservations as to whether a dachshund would be able to keep up with a jogger, though. Most that I've met have looked like they aren't built for distance running.
Oh yeah, I'm not talking about taking her all the way through the program, sorry I forgot to clarify that :P She keeps up with the kids at the park for a solid 3-4 hours a day, granted, its not forced and she can rest whenever she feels like it, she just never feels like it :P I was just talking about working her up to maybe 10 minutes or so of jogging at her age.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:26 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Seriously I spit my juice out when I read that laughing!

I have nothing else to add sorry:P
Old 06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

The first thing that pops into my head is how tough it will be on her joints, jogging on hard concrete is a world of difference than running around on soft ground at the park.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny82 View Post
The first thing that pops into my head is how tough it will be on her joints, jogging on hard concrete is a world of difference than running around on soft ground at the park.
Most of our walking loop is grass, a little bit of asphalt, but mostly grass. And when we hike we only go on dirt trails (might start incorporating some jogging there as well)
Old 06-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Twin 2

I would probably do it if I was in your shoes IF she could be on grass. Almost 10 months old is not bad for a Doxie, especially since if I remember correctly the first part is very varied which is good.

I might not bring her on every run, especially once they start getting longer on the running but I don't think it would hurt once or twice a week.

ETA: Understand though this is coming from someone that doesn't subscribe to the "Only jump or run them once they are 18 months old to 1 year old.

So, grain of salt
Old 06-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post

Anecdotal, but Jonas LOVES to go running. I let my boyfriend take him only for a mile or two but there is no way he wouldn't keep going. Structurally, though, he does not have super stumpy legs and his chest isn't 99% of his front end. He can actually move.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I started running (on soft ground, NOT concrete! I didn't do that until she was 12 months) with Nola when she was 10 months old. Given that Dachshunds are a small breed, you can start running, not forced of course, sooner than with large breeds. They are physically mature at 1-1/2, unlike 2-3 with large breeds.

And FWIW, Nola can keep up with me with no issue. Sprinting or just jogging, she's game for it. Before I moved out where there aren't any paved roads, we were running anywhere from 5-8 miles 5 days a week. But she is built like this:

And not this:

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com