Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Active Pup

Default my dog is licking the fur off of all four of his paws

My dog is incessantly licking his paws to the point where the he no longer has any fur on all four of his paws. He has sessions where he licks his paws for 5 minutes straight and he does it all throughout the day. He's a medium sized spitz.

I wondered whether he was doing it because of emotional distress, since he is kept inside for most of the day and he seems to be an outdoor type of dog (can't contain himself when we take him for a walk). However, wouldn't he lick only one paw or perhaps even his front two paws and not all four paws if it were the case where emotions and stress were at the source of his behavior?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I would question allergies, I would question what he is eating. Neccy had a wheat allergy. She licked her feet constantly, she had no fur on her toes, and eventually they looked like raw grapes. I took her off all grains, it took 30 days and was totally better. I hope you find an easy answer. Sorry your dog is going through this. Benedryl, special soap from the vet baths, all helped while we waited for the gut to repair. That is where all the trouble starts, it just ends up at the skin level where you can see it. Until we got the specail soap from the vet we used vinegar in a rinse after her bath where I tried to get as much of the yeast out of her skin as possible. That relieved the itching.
Not saying that is your cause, but it was here, and that is what we did.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-21-2013, 08:16 AM
Love my pets

He may have allergies. A member here had success feeding Wellness Core Grain Free kibble and it eventually cleared up the skin problems. I do know where I live in the spring & fall the allergy season is high and makes my dogs lick more.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Active Pup

Default thank you

I'll try to switch his food source and see if that helps (for a month at least). A big thanks to smkie and Barb04 for bring up the topic of food allergies.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Could be stress. The repetitive behaviour of lick lick lick lick can be a way of soothing themselves if they are bored or stressed.

How long is he indoors/alone for?
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-21-2013, 04:42 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

As others have said, could be allergies, could also be an OCD like behavior due to stress/anxiety/what have you.

The important thing is to make sure his paws aren't becoming infected from the constant licking. If he has licked them so much to the point they are hairless, there is a good possibility he's licked them to the point he's caused an infection to start between his paw pads as well, which will just cause more licking.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~