Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
In all actuality I am not going to return a dog to a breeder for a health problem. I mean... unless it's an obvious few day in thing. Most guarantees I see require you to return the dog and that's not going to happen.
That's sort of my take on it. I wouldn't take most breeders up on their guarantee, because no matter how "broken" it is, I'm not going to want to send my beloved pet back. It's like loss of use insurance in a horse; nice to say you have it, most people would never collect since it means saying goodbye to their pet.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
oh I totally agree, but do not consider a health guarantee a necessary part of that.

That is great! But to me, the written guarantee wasn't really relevant to that situation, as she was willing to stand behind her dog regarding something that wasn't in the contract to begin with. So I guess don't view it as important in that instance? I think she would have done that regardless of whether or not she had a previous written guarantee.

I guess I think the breeder is either the kind of person and breeder who is going to do that, or they're not. They're either invested in their puppies for life... or they're not. ETA: And while I would want my breeder's support through any health issues, I very likely would not take advantage of any return/refund/replace contract anyway.

I can see why some take a guarantee as a sign of good faith, though. ETA: I admit it concerns me that it's being touted a prerequisite for being a reputable breeder, however.
Oh I agree, what I liked about her contract was that she didnt want the return of the pup in the event he was sick in order to get a replacement pup. If he had ended up not being show quality then I could have returned him, or paid the price for a pet pup for him, which was understandable.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:39 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

When I was looking at Chessie breeders, a few had very good guarentees that would actually be of use (lifetime, or full money back, etc.), others had extremely basic guarantees (2yr hip/eyes that required return of the dog). Although when I started my search I was heavily looking at the guarantees, I decided that health testing was much more important in my eyes. I went with a breeder that tests hips, elbows, eyes, PRA, DM, and EIC bare minimum. Her gaurentee is pretty basic...but I am confident that she produces healthy dogs.

I do like to see at least some form of guarentee, even if it is basic...that just helps show that the breeder stands behind their dogs. But where my main focus lies is the health testing.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:55 AM
Bored Now.

Much like limited warranties on cars (we will provide this % of parts and labor for any repairs made during this period of time after you bought it) I think health guarantees are utterly useless.

If your puppy buyer has to return the dog, what is the point? And what are YOU, the breeder going to do about it? Breed them another one as though their family member is replaceable? Vet the dog and allow it to live out the remainder of it's life? Put it to sleep? Lots of unanswered questions there.

Are you going to pay for treatment? What is the minimum and maximum that you'll pay? What, exactly, will you authorize payment for? Will you just reimburse them the purchase price? What if the purchase price exceeds total treatment costs?

What if it's an issue that is partly genetic, partly environmental? Does that mean you'll pay half?

What if there is no treatment available?

And finally, how the hell are you going to get a breeder to honor their contract? I've seen tons of people get screwed out of things like that.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Big Dog

Who are all these people that you know who have been screwed out of breeder contracts? Are they just posts people make on the forum or do you know them personally?

Just curious about where this venom is coming from.

I get that some people are anti-breeder and are welcome to their own ideas, but I admit that it bothers me to see such a bad attude and sweeping statements.

Have you yourself been screwed out of something? Did you contact the breed club to let them know?

I thought you rescued your dogs. Was I mistaken?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I don't even look for them, I look for healthy lines and go from there.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Absolutely they are important and should be expected. Having said that, any health guarantee written for 5 yrs or less isn't worth the paper it is written on imo. All those do is protect the breeder, not the dog nor the owner.

Would I expect another puppy? No, nor would I want one, nor would I want to return my dog BUT it is reasonable for the breeder to pay any vet bills up to the purchase price on the puppy. Especially for inherited disorders/diseases. If breeders were financially responsible like this, they sure would think twice before breeding and not take as many genetic risks as they do.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm All Ears

I may have to email the breeder now. Im curious about the specifics but know they say they guarantee pups free of any hereditary conditions. Period. No time limit on it.

It's so much nicer to be looking into breeds where health testing is the norm instead of the exception. SO MUCH NICER.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiparty View Post
Who are all these people that you know who have been screwed out of breeder contracts? Are they just posts people make on the forum or do you know them personally?

Just curious about where this venom is coming from.

I get that some people are anti-breeder and are welcome to their own ideas, but I admit that it bothers me to see such a bad attude and sweeping statements.

Have you yourself been screwed out of something? Did you contact the breed club to let them know?

I thought you rescued your dogs. Was I mistaken?
I don't think it's venom, I think it's just reality. I am on the receiving end of a deal that went sideways now. Dog is unhealthy and will never be healthy - just managed. I have a health guarantee and their version of honoring the guarantee is by replacing said dog with the first puppy with a pulse and the same gender they can find. No regards to temperament - pedigree - appearance or age which were all things that went into the selection of the first dog. Guess what? I am keeping the first dog.

Now mine isn't as bad as others I have known where the puppy/dog had something seriously go bad and the breeder simply stopped returning phonecalls or blamed the owner or whatever.

So usually what I look for is that someone did some testing (hahahahaha in toy breeds... it's a novel thought) and that the puppy I am getting checks out to the best of mine and my vet's opinion at that point in time. Everything else beyond that IMO is rarely worth the paper it's written on.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I don't even look for them, I look for healthy lines and go from there.
yes, this. 'My' breeder has lots of healthy, long-lived dogs she has bred with many doing sports of all sorts participating into double digits, does testing, and has no health guarantee. I'm perfectly happy to see that as proof of healthy dogs.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle