Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm All Ears

We've done a lot of send the dog to a target work but it's been a while. We will revisit that and I think Summer especially could use some more work.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yep, figured. I guess I thought that the more I treated it like a 'normal' shaping session the more they'd be into it. And yes, they are very tuned into me and not very independent. It's something I've always rewarded almost all the time I'm around them. Even on walks and hikes they check in constantly.

Ok so for now Im going to set up the one single 2x2 and stand stationary and throw the treat. I need a bigger house to do all this in lol.

If you're using a target but not moving how do you reward? Putting the food out on the target isn't something I've been doing because it is easy for them to reward for going around the poles. So I've been jogging and placing the food on the target as fast as possible. Bad?
I would just toss the treat to the target. Though, any time we've incorporated a target into 2x2 training, we've introduced it later once the dog is performing at least 1-2 open but angled gates. My gut says build value for the gate before you add additional complexity by adding a target. You may not need it if you go back and work your way up more slowly this time.

This all reminds me that I've been wanting to teach Mega how to weave... maybe I'll give it a go. Small dogs definitely have a harder time understanding the movement through the gates and tend to look down at the base instead of forward.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

I need to clarify, I don't use a target for 2x2's either. Only advised using a target to teach them to leave you
Old 06-20-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm All Ears

Ok so my plan is to work the target with Summer for a while and forget weaves. Once I pull out the weaves for her then what? Target and throw treats or just throw treats?

Since Mia is tacking the ball well inside should I just start there? Roll the ball through the open 2x2?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I need to clarify, I don't use a target for 2x2's either. Only advised using a target to teach them to leave you
Here either, we started jump drive (desire to cross without baiting across, adding value to just moving out or over or across), lunging send(now the dog must hold and move with your body), and the go out (wrap around an object once sent). These all seemed to help not needing a target for the weaves.

My trainer uses smaller houla hoops and makes us throw 10 each class from the waist, wrist flicking, and aiming from both hands every day of foundations. It seemed silly but it did help.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Ok so my plan is to work the target with Summer for a while and forget weaves. Once I pull out the weaves for her then what? Target and throw treats or just throw treats?

Since Mia is tacking the ball well inside should I just start there? Roll the ball through the open 2x2?
Why not use the ball as the reward instead of the lure?

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
The Monster.

Quote:

I would just use your release cue. Don't name it until you have the behaviour you want. It will likely take several weeks.

Luring, especially with something as engaging as a ball, won't be too helpful. Use it as a reward that drops down along the reward line after the dog interacts with the gate, not a lure.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm All Ears

Honestly (and this is rather embarrassing) Mia locks onto the ball when I have it in my hand. Most behaviors are easier to use food so I've just avoided the problem. We have used the ball for stays but I put her in a stay, throw the ball, then release her. Haven't involved anything more complicated with it yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Just move to Minnesota and take my 2x2 class. Problem solved.

To get the best advice, throw up a video. But it seems like you have a lot of help here already.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm All Ears

I will throw up a video tomorrow morning of the target work were goin to do.

I think I have a lot of competing issues right now that all need work but have (miraculously) not affected my other agility training.

1. Harness Mia's ball drive. A little daunting of a task
2. Teach Summer to follow a treat toy better.
3. Work on sending them to a target (do I put them in a stay and release?)
4. Start 2x2s again from scratch.