Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Does anyone who clips have a particular brand of clippers that work really well and stay pretty sharp?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Show Dog

I dremel the dogs and clip the cats. Bear gets done maybe once a week, more likely every other week. His nails don't grow very fast, so I could get away with doing it less often. Pig's nails on the other hand seem to grow as I'm doing them, so she gets done every few days. Sometimes I will dremel and then apply preparation h to help her quicks recede. Right now I'm dremeling Badger everyday, but just a teensy bit and not every nail at once since he's still getting conditioned to it. I could probably knock out all four paws in a single session since he's been taking it like a little champ, but I don't want to push him.

The cats are clipped when I see their nails are getting long. Sometimes that's once a week, sometimes every three weeks or so. Their nails are weird and don't seem to grow at any consistent rate.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Most success I have had to date is with a very cheap pair of guillotine clippers from amazon. They are sharp and very quick. I thought they would be really hard, but so far so good.

We still have to use excessive clicking and treats, but I get waaaaaaay more success than I do with force

I've done dremel, normal clippers and these have deffo been the best.

Dremel takes forever, and Fred now associates peanut butter and the noise with NO NO NO. So that's out.

The other clippers just didn't have the force for his big black nails.

The guillotine, I can slot the tip in and snip a sliver off fairly easy.. Although our nail escapades mean I can't use any direct force, or hold his foot to do it yet, and I am only allowed to do a couple at a time!! Although he let me do his front feet the other day! Just the ends, but hey, it's better than nothing! His back feet look like talons.....

I never do bodhi's. ever.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

I clip and dremel. Well...Jason clips, and I dremel haha. I despise clipping but sometimes with crazy work/training schedules, it's faster just to clip. I prefer dremeled nails and do that when I have time. We do one or the other every other week. I am short nail obsessed!

I LOVE Kastle's feet, I love tight, big padded feet

Eden's are difficult because they grow at different lengths...due to the cankles

Limit's are harder to keep short, the quick's are just long.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Active Pup

Less often than I should... usually every two weeks? I'll go through phases of not doing it for long enough for him to start clicking, then I'll trim them every couple days (in tiny increments) to get the quick back... and then I get lazy again XD.

We have a dremel, but haven't done the work to get him conditioned to it yet, so guillotine clippers it is.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
For those that clip and dremel, is there a reason you clip instead of always dremeling?
Because I sort of hate dremeling... the dust always gets in my eyes, it takes longer (for me at least, I can clip all 104 nails in like 20 minutes), and once I got the dremel caught in my hair so I have a personal issue with it.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Does anyone who clips have a particular brand of clippers that work really well and stay pretty sharp?
I use Millers Forge nail clippers and they cut like butter.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

I was just curious, I thought maybe I was missing something with the clipping. I'm the opposite I hate clipping because I'm always worried I'm going to quick someone so I much prefer dremeling and use it exclusively. Luckily the girls are really good about it.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 06-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
I've had the same set that I bought from my vet almost 10 years ago. They're heavy duty and stay sharp. I think I paid about $50 for them. The brand says "Miller's Forge" and that they were made in Italy.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
and once I got the dremel caught in my hair so I have a personal issue with it.
LOL. That is why I don't use it on Lucy, even though she's the one dog who it makes most sense for... I just inevitably get it caught in her tail hair every single time I use it on her.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013