Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-17-2013, 03:57 PM
such sights to show you

Oh, thanks for the edit. It should be "no reason to NOT adapt... blah blah."

Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Big Dog

I used to be so against it. Especially the sport mixes. Sports are a purpose aren't they??
Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
I won't lie though - oversized, teddy bear German Shepherds being bred for companionship bother me much more than the ones bred for, say, agility (not that I know any). I can't even pinpoint exactly why. Maybe because of the large market for the former, maybe because they are not my tastes aesthetically, or maybe because of the way they are advertised?
For me it's advertisement... agility people don't usually claim their dogs are more correct for the breed than working lines. Also, I think they usually health test. If people bred a line of GSDs that weighed 38 lbs and had very little instinct to protect... I'd rather they called them something else (but at this point with GSDs, I'm not really sure one more type would matter lol).

I mean, take King Shepherds:
Quote:
The American King Shepherd breed began it's development in 1996. The original vision was of an extra large or giant-sized German Shepherd. The vision included differences in temperament, conformation and size - as compared to the German Shepherd. The German Shepherd is the foundation of the American King Shepherd.
http://www.kingshepherdclubinternational.com/index.html
I'm sure that description rubs some people the wrong way, but I can't see why.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
At the end of the day if the person is doing everything else right -- relevant health tests, objective evals of breeding animals, objectively educating themselves, standing by placed pups for their lifetimes -- and being upfront and honest with the people they get dogs from AND the people they sell dogs to... it doesn't really bother me.
Pretty much this. If the person is making sure that their dogs are in appropriate homes, and is willing to provide life-long support, then they are not part of the "problem". And if their dogs are not ending up in shelters or bad situations, I'm not too bothered.

There will always be breeders who are focusing heavily on the standard and "preserving" the breed (however much it may not be preserving the actual origins of the breed).

15 lbs Paps sound perfect to me. I couldn't own a tiny one. I'd break it.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
For me it's advertisement... agility people don't usually claim their dogs are more correct for the breed than working lines. Also, I think they usually health test. If people bred a line of GSDs that weighed 38 lbs and had very little instinct to protect... I'd rather they called them something else (but at this point with GSDs, I'm not really sure one more type would matter lol).

I mean, take King Shepherds:
http://www.kingshepherdclubinternational.com/index.html
I'm sure that description rubs some people the wrong way, but I can't see why.
Yeah you're right, I'm pretty sure that's it.

The Shiloh Shepherd site is even worse
Quote:
"Do you remember a specific 'German Shepherd' you used to know as a child (or if you are under 40) one that your family or friends told you about? He was the dog with that super, almost human intelligence; that big family protector that was so very gentle with little children, yet would give his life for his master without question.

The dog that would walk you to the school bus, and then show up again exactly on time to wait for your return; the hero that everyone talked about; the one that seemed half human. His personality consisted of Lassie, Strongheart, and Rin Tin Tin all rolled into one.

Well, that dog is still here today, and he is called a SHILOH SHEPHERD™!"
http://www.shilohshepherds.org/
Old 06-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Oh, I don't have any problem with the King shepherd. They had their vision (GSD with some modifications), so that's what they bred for, gave it a new name, simply stated that the GSD in its present form isn't what they wanted... ta da, done!!

I find the Shiloh shepherd description cringe worthy.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Yeah you're right, I'm pretty sure that's it.

The Shiloh Shepherd site is even worse

"Do you remember a specific 'German Shepherd' you used to know as a child (or if you are under 40) one that your family or friends told you about? He was the dog with that super, almost human intelligence; that big family protector that was so very gentle with little children, yet would give his life for his master without question.

The dog that would walk you to the school bus, and then show up again exactly on time to wait for your return; the hero that everyone talked about; the one that seemed half human. His personality consisted of Lassie, Strongheart, and Rin Tin Tin all rolled into one.

Well, that dog is still here today, and he is called a SHILOH SHEPHERD™!"

http://www.shilohshepherds.org/
I know a ton of **GSD** owners who think this is what all GSDs are... makes my stomach churn.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Omg the Shiloh Shepherd thing... Like they're a "better" GSD, because, you know, they're really supposed to be giant, laid back, and lack natural aggression.

And just never mind the whole, "They don't have 'sloping backs' or 'bad hips'!" when for one thing they really mean rear angulation and for another, rear angulation varies and it's certainly possible to find a moderate GSD. ARGH

Oh, right, we're talking about breeding for sports. Yeah, I don't really care. If I don't like the dogs they produce, I don't buy them. Realistically, breeders need to keep an eye on all aspects (structure and yes, type) of the dogs they produce to be worthwhile for me, but I will always prioritize ability and temperament and sound structure. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for breeders to use performance sports as a barometer and goal for their dogs.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Paps are DQd after 12 inches. Oversized would be > 12 inches.

To me Shelties and paps aren't exchangeable. I like Shelties a lot but... I love paps.

Eta: I hope that came across right. I guess what I mean was even if there's a 'Sheltie class' doesn't mean that's what you (general) should compete with for that height. I don't know if I am making sense.
I just mean if I'm looking for a dog that might jump in the 16" class I want one that has a better chance of being a comfortable height for that class. For 16", shelties are perfect. Some measure over yes but the majority fall within the limits. I wouldn't want a pap that may be just over that 12" cutoff (its even shorter for ifcs worlds too, 11" and change I think for that class). I'd want a dog more in the 14-15" range to jump in the 16" class and I can't imagine having a pap that big! Izzie is only just over 12".

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

The big thing around here for sport mixes are the longhaired whippet/border collies. Very nice dogs though, they health test and all that (at least their first few litters they did).