Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
This. Charlotte is without a doubt the most mellow, easy going dog I've ever known. With the exception of her fear aggression which was the result of an attack some years ago, and not something she was born with, she's extremely low maintenance. But she's not stupid or lazy in any sense of the word. I find the claim to be pretty insulting, quite frankly.
I was just thinking that. That was very close to a description of Summer. Summer is an EASY dog but she is far from stupid. She is not Mia, who is constantly trying to think up new and creative ways to be bad, but she is a delightfully biddable and smart dog to train. Give her a little direction and she really shines.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Lola is just about the easiest dog in the world. She doesn't go crazy if she doesn't get exercise, and she doesn't demand much of anything, but she enjoys and does well at agility and fetch and training. She's not stupid, she picks things up far quicker than my BC mix. She just uses her smarts for good and not evil lol.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Glutton for Crazy

My malinois are the opposite of stupid and lazy but some days I wish I had a stupid and lazy... oh wait... hi Arnold. :P jk, he's extremely smart and when it comes to other animals he's far from an easy ideal family dog.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

I have a combo of all three, smart and lazy Gage, you can train him to do anything, but he isn't going to run around house. He can go to the dog park, but he really just wants people to pet him, lol.

Lazy and well maybe not stupid but not biddable Bristol, she isn't going to destroy anything, she will dig in a small garbage can, IF its got food in it and is easy to, but pretty much anything will stop her, including being asleep and not noticing I have left. And walks and dog park, ya she just doesn't do them, lol.

Then we have Diesel, who, I think, is what people want in sport dogs, he is athletically built to be fast, he has springs in his legs I think, he is biddable, and a breeze to train, but he out thinks me and we have to work on controlling him because he wants to go through all the equipment lol.

Most people who have met them are drawn to Gage and Bristol. I find older people want a Bristol,younger couples with older kids want Gage....the only people who want Diesel are his trainers lol.

Unfortunately most people shop with their eyes only and buy the cutest fluffiest puppy they see, they don't often even read about the dog they bought until they get it home. The few that do research google "best family dog" and search out what ever it says is the best.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

I think it's a bit hilarious when people use the "well my dog is smart" to justify their less than manageable high maintenance dogs.. I thought it was something only casual pet owners with dogs who don't listen to them said but apparently not..

A manageable friendly easy to settle sweet dog =/= stupid or lazy. No matter how much you would like it to lol

The brain doesn't channel it's energies into nervous energy or bouncing off the wall drive for some dogs. It channels it in other ways and if you honestly think it doesn't take an INTELLIGENT dog to be able to be that go everywhere, do anything, sweet, manageable, great with kids, great with dogs dog and to be able to understand when it's time to play/train and when it's time to settle down... then I feel sorry for you.

My dog is manageable and "easy" BECAUSE that's how his intelligence shows, in his ability to be in tune with me and just "get it". Get when it's time to train, to play, to settle down, to learn etc..

with some dogs it's bouncing off the walls, with some it's drive, with some it's to play, with some it's problem solving or being caring in nature.
If you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing that it's stupid.. I believe is the quote.
That doesn't make some dogs more intelligent than others, it makes some who they are. dogs that are higher maintenance, more drivey, more laid back etc..

or hey maybe he just started detecting my seizures because he is so lazy and stupid..

maybe all service dogs are lazy and stupid! I mean look how well they adapt and settle down.
Same goes with therapy dogs, stupid and lazy, the lot of them!
Old 06-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Honestly Backup being less smart than Sloan (and Arnold) makes him an easier keeper. I am sorry if that's mean or offensive but man some days and in some ways it's so much easier having a dog who's not an evil genius.

<shrug>
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Obey the Toad.

There are also different kinds of intelligence in dogs, and the intelligence works hand in hand with other traits like drive, focus, energy level, etc. To me, lazy is a dog that doesn't WANT to do anything, not a dog that's up for anything but will still chill when you chill.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

A dog that's easy to train is a dog who's managed to successfully communicate with a person. I don't call that "stupid".

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 06-22-2013, 01:56 PM
treehugging clicker freak

This thread has made me want a short (smooth?) coated Sheltie. For purely selfish reasons. So ya'll can design me one now!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
There are also different kinds of intelligence in dogs, and the intelligence works hand in hand with other traits like drive, focus, energy level, etc. To me, lazy is a dog that doesn't WANT to do anything, not a dog that's up for anything but will still chill when you chill.

Completely agree with this. Lazy would be the dog whose owners wanted to do stuff and the dog rolling their eyes and sleeping on the couch.

Lo goes to visit Alzheimer's patients, and we go around in a circle and she sits in each person's laps (About 15 people total) and will completely relax and snuggle with them, close her eyes and rest with each one. We stay for an hour. If anybody were to watch us, she would look like the laziest dog in existence, briefly getting up and stretching between people and then resting again in somebody else's lap. But it seems to me that it's not as mindless/ effortless as it looks, because she's completely zonked for hours afterwards. Much moreso than if she were to run around chasing balls for an hour.