Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Shakou's Avatar
Shakou Shakou is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 754
Default

I think it's pretty unfair to assume people who want and own designer dogs only want them for superficial reasons. I could say the same thing about people who ONLY want a purebred. Doesn't mean it's true by any means.
__________________

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
I think it's pretty unfair to assume people who want and own designer dogs only want them for superficial reasons. I could say the same thing about people who ONLY want a purebred. Doesn't mean it's true by any means.
It's very fair to say a large percent of dogs, of all breeds and mixes, are sought after for looks with temperament, work, and health being secondary.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,049
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Was that article about the guy who created the Labradoodle linked on here last week or so? He said he regrets it now because he feels like it has done a lot of damage to purebred dogs. And that even though he created the breed with a function in mind, nobody wanted one because it was a "mutt." The name "Labradoodle" and was a marketing ploy.

http://www.globalanimal.org/2010/12/...s-breed/25768/

Just something interesting. I do agree that labradoodle (and cockapoo) are the two you will find a lot of people trying to create something more stable and without just a lot of F1 crosses. I had a student in my class tell me what her dog was and I couldn't even break down the mix name. I had to ask her "a what?" OTOH she adopted the dog from the shelter. Either she wanted a cutesy name, or the shelter gave it a cutesy name to get it adopted. I know shelters will use "puggle" around here... friends of mine adopted a puggle from the shelter.

Labradoodles seem to look very similar around here. Puggles OTOH vary more widely around here, but by that I mean they either look really puggy or really beagley. Not like something in between.
I really like cockapoos. I meet so many and they're all just great in temperament, they all seem pretty healthy and long-lived, and I can usually tell when a dog is a cockapoo.

Same with the Goldendoodles and Labradoodles. I understand why the guy regrets it, but I'm also glad he 'created' them because I think they're great dogs.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Again, I disagree. I deal with mostly pet owners all day every day, and I just don't see it. I would say that in general, most families want dogs who get along with most other dogs and people, are good with and tolerant of kids, are biddable, can tolerate a variety of activity levels and adapt to seasonal changes in the schedule of the household, and have an off switch. I don't think most people even care that much about grooming as long as it's not a big daily chore.
*
Um... that is "stupid and lazy" (the size part is really irrelevant), just phrased more politely. Really smart dogs are a PITA, a thinking dog is not easy to train. A dog that's a little slower is generally easier to instill the basic pet manners that most people want. A high energy dog needs constant exercise, and most people don't want to have to commit to that, they like a dog that is okay just chilling at home if needed. Or, as I said:

"They want a sweet, easy-going pet that they can take to the dog park when it's convenient, learns a few basic behaviors without drama; if they get busy at work and don't have time for the dog park or a walk, the dog can just chill at home without stress. Gets along with people, other dogs, and small animals."

Not really clear how you feel that's so different than what you stated they want, but whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Flyinsbt's Avatar
Flyinsbt Flyinsbt is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It's very fair to say a large percent of dogs, of all breeds and mixes, are sought after for looks with temperament, work, and health being secondary.
Yes, I think the vast majority of dogs are selected on looks. Unfortunately. That's the one sticking point in my thought that they could breed a mellow, easy to own breed for the pet people to enjoy. There's no guarantee those people would pick that breed, they're as likely to decide that they must have a Siberian Husky because Eight Below. Or something.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-21-2013, 11:19 PM
D&Co D&Co is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 56
Default

did not mean to be rude or anything with my opinions, we all have our topics we react to and it did not seem anyone was to put out by my ramblings?
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-22-2013, 07:21 AM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Um... that is "stupid and lazy" (the size part is really irrelevant), just phrased more politely. Really smart dogs are a PITA, a thinking dog is not easy to train. A dog that's a little slower is generally easier to instill the basic pet manners that most people want.
I don't think that what Sass described is either lazy or stupid. Biddable and friendly does not equal "stupid" and adaptable plus not high energy doesn't equal "lazy."
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM
SoCrafty SoCrafty is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: US
Posts: 309
Default

N
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Again, I disagree. I deal with mostly pet owners all day every day, and I just don't see it. I would say that in general, most families want dogs who get along with most other dogs and people, are good with and tolerant of kids, are biddable, can tolerate a variety of activity levels and adapt to seasonal changes in the schedule of the household, and have an off switch. I don't think most people even care that much about grooming as long as it's not a big daily chore.
As someone who will be looking for a pet dog for companionship within the next year or two - I couldn't agree more than with the above quote. I have just as much right to research a breed and find a breeder who health tests their dogs as someone who will only be showing their dog, or competing in sports. At the end of the day, the dog who is shown or is competed with is a PET. It gets snuggles, and gets treats and lives with a family. So, people who look for sports dogs, they look for breeds that can do what they need and find breeders who are more likely to have their perfect sport dog in their next litter.

Whether I choose to have a mush for brains dog, or a dog with a fluffy coat or one that claims it is allergy free is my right. How I want to spend my money is none if anyone else's business.

Myself? I want a stable minded dog that I can take out jogging in the morning, that is good with other animals, that will enjoy fetching, camping, can safely ride on a boat, a breed that is relatively healthy overall. If we have kids, I want a breed of dog or a specific dog that is more likely to have a stable temperament. If I want to find a breed that has a shorter, easily manageable coat that's not anyone's business. I have a full time job, I am planning on going back to College, my boyfriend also has a full time job. if I want to spend more time enjoying my dog versus maintaining a ridiculous amount of fluff, that's ok. Whether that dog is found in a shelter or at a breeder or rescue, doesn't matter. I'd rather go to a breeder or breed specific rescue because its a specific type of dog and is more than likely to exhibit this trait, that trait and others.

I do not think it is fair to assume that people who want a dog for companionship should either get stuck owning something that they don't want just because its a pet dog, or assuming that the person wants a specific breed for superficial reasons. Not all people want a lazy, mush for brains dog. If a person has a right to look for a dog to do sports, then others have the same right to look for what they want as a pet. It takes a special dog to have what it takes to be a pet.

Sorry for typos, I am on my phone and it doesn't always cooperate with typing on forums.
__________________
A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. - Chinese Proverb

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 AM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,109
Default

My take on everything is this...

I don't care what you are breeding. As long as you are breeding sound, healthy animals, are finding appropriate homes for all of the animals you produce, and will prevent the animals you are breeding from ending up in the shelter system...then you're fine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I don't think that what Sass described is either lazy or stupid. Biddable and friendly does not equal "stupid" and adaptable plus not high energy doesn't equal "lazy."
This.

"They want a sweet, easy-going pet that they can take to the dog park when it's convenient, learns a few basic behaviors without drama; if they get busy at work and don't have time for the dog park or a walk, the dog can just chill at home without stress. Gets along with people, other dogs, and small animals."
This is Cynder. Only instead of sweet and easy-going, she is more along the lines of polite and reserved. And she is in no way lazy, or stupid. If I were to ever create a breed of dog, it would be one like Cynder.
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Shakou's Avatar
Shakou Shakou is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I don't think that what Sass described is either lazy or stupid. Biddable and friendly does not equal "stupid" and adaptable plus not high energy doesn't equal "lazy."
This. Charlotte is without a doubt the most mellow, easy going dog I've ever known. With the exception of her fear aggression which was the result of an attack some years ago, and not something she was born with, she's extremely low maintenance. But she's not stupid or lazy in any sense of the word. I find the claim to be pretty insulting, quite frankly.
__________________

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site