Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
See, I don't mind new breeds being made, I just feel like doodles and sport mixes aren't new breeds.
Oh I don't think it's correct to call F1 mixes breeds, either, but I don't really have an objection to or problem with them being bred.

I don't even get all that annoyed by the cutesy names anymore, especially for the ones that seem to mix relatively consistently. I can have a pretty good idea of what I'm probably going to encounter when I see the names cockapoo or doodle or puggle.

My annoyance level depends on the day and the level of cutesy, though.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Resident fainting goat

I have no problem with any of it as long as it's done responsibly

and that means not LYING to puppy buyers

I am talking to you sports breeders selling puppies that are DEFINITELY going to grow up to be super star agility dogs or whatever dogs (how would you know?! this is an 8 week old puppy!)
I am talking to you doodle breeders selling doodles that CERTAINLY will not shed and won't give allergies (again, how would you know..this is a puppy coat!)

and that right there is my biggest problem with breeders that are filling such a small niche. They have buyers for the IDEAL that the mix/very specific thing is going to create
but sometimes there aren't enough for the pups that don't. So many lie (or butter up the truth) and that isn't ok

For the low drive puppies, for the puppy with the coat that may end up shedding (not that you can even tell really)
so many breeders just..don't mention it.

and that pisses me off.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I have no problem with any of it as long as it's done responsibly

and that means not LYING to puppy buyers

I am talking to you sports breeders selling puppies that are DEFINITELY going to grow up to be super star agility dogs or whatever dogs (how would you know?! this is an 8 week old puppy!)
I am talking to you doodle breeders selling doodles that CERTAINLY will not shed and won't give allergies (again, how would you know..this is a puppy coat!)

and that right there is my biggest problem with breeders that are filling such a small niche. They have buyers for the IDEAL that the mix/very specific thing is going to create
but sometimes there aren't enough for the pups that don't. So many lie (or butter up the truth) and that isn't ok

For the low drive puppies, for the puppy with the coat that may end up shedding (not that you can even tell really)
so many breeders just..don't mention it.

and that pisses me off.
ITA and if I have one real gripe about Doodles it's the "they're ALL hypoallergenic and non-shedding" and the "they have all the BEST parts of Labs AND Poodles" as if that's how it automatically works.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
ITA and if I have one real gripe about Doodles it's the "they're ALL hypoallergenic and non-shedding" and the "they have all the BEST parts of Labs AND Poodles" as if that's how it automatically works.
One labradoodle breeder around here talks about her dogs having "fleece" instead of fur or hair... The funny thing is she always comments on how great Izzie's "fleece" is. If Izzie's coat is what they're going for, I'm not sure they are breeding for the right coat LOL.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
One labradoodle breeder around here talks about her dogs having "fleece" instead of fur or hair... The funny thing is she always comments on how great Izzie's "fleece" is. If Izzie's coat is what they're going for, I'm not sure they are breeding for the right coat LOL.
LOL!!! Yikes... Her fleece...

Also, attention all Goldendoodle breeders: Please inform your buyers that they're likely purchasing a dog who will a high maintenance coat that matts easily, and that said dog will be attracted to water most of the time. We see so many matted, smelly Doodles in grooming at work.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I have no issue with the creation of mixes nor new breeds (which designer dogs are not) but I'm not sure how a GSD is a designer dog, that is where I am seeking clarity.
I suppose because it was "designed" for a purpose? lol

When I heard the phrase "designer" dog, I thought it was referring to a mix bred to be fashionable and marketed to trendy people. The purpose of breeding them is to sell them.

GSDs were fine-tuned for herding and other work over generations. The purpose of breeding them is to hopefully produce something equal to or better at the job than you already have.

ETA

And while we're on the subject, in my real, day-to-day life I don't really care what people breed just as long as they're honest etc.

I'd rather there be a REASON these dogs are mixed, other than you think you can market them. Like, you should have reasons they will make a good family pet (which to me means, in 5 years if you take away sentimentality and attachment, is the family still glad they got the dog?).

I have to question the wisdom behind something like a siberpoo. Is it meant to be a hypoallergenic dog with a husky temperament? For whom? Something who likes huskies and is allergic? Or was it done just because huskies and doodles are attractive?

Last edited by Xandra; 06-20-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
When I heard the phrase "designer" dog, I thought it was referring to a mix bred to be fashionable and marketed to trendy people. The purpose of breeding them is to sell them.
Well, sometimes. Sometimes it's to develop companion dogs. (This could easily shoot off into the old "is breeding for 'companionship' a legitimate purpose" tangent, which I realize not all people agree about... but at least some people breeding them and some people buying them think it is.)

Quote:
GSDs were fine-tuned for herding and other work over generations. The purpose of breeding them is to hopefully produce something equal to or better at the job than you already have.
Again, sometimes. Sometimes it's just to sell them.

Again, it gets back to the individual breeder's motivations and practices for me rather than necessarily what they are breeding. Breeding pure bred dogs or designer dogs doesn't automatically put someone into the "for a purpose" or "to sell them" category for me.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Oh I don't think it's correct to call F1 mixes breeds, either, but I don't really have an objection to or problem with them being bred.
I have Mutts and I love them, I call them just that though, Mutts, what is wrong with them just being mutts? When did it become shameful to own a mutt? Especially if it didnt come from some horribly abusive home? Would I ever buy a mutt from a breeder? Probably not, and as much as I detest people who BYB (anything weather its dogs, cats, rats) I cant control what others spend their money on. But just realize that you bought a mutt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
LOL!!! Yikes... Her fleece...
Also, attention all Goldendoodle breeders: Please inform your buyers that they're likely purchasing a dog who will a high maintenance coat that matts easily, and that said dog will be attracted to water most of the time. We see so many matted, smelly Doodles in grooming at work.
They obviously need to watch this wonderful video on how to groom a Purebred Multi-generational Australian Labradoodle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWNk9G0PnrQ
Old 06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm All Ears

I do not consider known crossbreds to be 'mutts'. Mutt to me = unknown. And f1 labradoodle is a mixed breed or a crossbred dog. But the parentage is known. Big difference there.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Top Dog

crossbreed, mixed breed, mutt, its all the same to me, no difference, weather you know or not, its still a mutt. If people ask what Gage is I say mutt, if they ask if I know what he is Ill say Mastiff Rotty mix, but no was will I ever say English Mastweiller. Likewise Diesel is a Mutt, he might be Yorkie Poodle mix, but he is still a mutt.

My Shiba Inu were purebred Shiba Inu.