Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Default Your favourite salad dressing recipes

This time of year when the garden is overflowing with greens, I end up eating salad usually twice a day, and while I have a dressing recipe that I absolutely ADORE, I think it's possible I might get tired of it by the end of summer, so I should maybe try to mix it up.

I have done various variations on the classic vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, etc) but never found one that I just love. So any favourite recipes would be much appreciated, so I can mix it up a little!

My favourite recipe of all time is called "Glory Bowl" dressing (I think it's a local thing), and it's pretty much the most amazing thing ever. You should all make it right away. The recipe is:

In a blender, put
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup soy sauce (or tamari or whatever)
1/3 cup water
2 cloves of garlic (or more if you want)
2 tablespoons Tahini (or peanut butter works too)

Blend all of that thoroughly, then slowly pour in (while still blending) 1 1/2 cups of oil, I usually use olive oil but whatever you like works.

It is So. Good.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

There was a vinaigrette I did for a while that involved the base balsamic, with melted Parmesan and a ton of lemon juice. I looooooooved it and ate it almost constantly. I need to make it again. ):

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Sounds good! What does the nutritional yeast do? I don't think I've ever eaten it.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
There was a vinaigrette I did for a while that involved the base balsamic, with melted Parmesan and a ton of lemon juice. I looooooooved it and ate it almost constantly. I need to make it again. ):
That sounds yummy! Do you have a recipe for it?

Quote:
Sounds good! What does the nutritional yeast do? I don't think I've ever eaten it.
ahh...tastes good? haha, I'm not sure, it's something I've eaten since I was a kid on almost everything - rice, popcorn, yogurt, you name it. My friends and I jokingly called it "hippy dust".

Here's what wikipedia has to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast
Old 06-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

My dressing for leaf salads & pasta salad is extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Parmesan cheese, basil & oregano (for leaf salad add a little pulverized garlic).
My other favorite salad I make at home if from peeled shredded cucumber (not the watery seeded core just the meaty part). The dressing is fish sauce, lime juice, pulverized garlic & crushed red pepper (crushed dried chipotles if you want a richer smoky flavor).
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

I tinkered with one of my Dad's go-to salad dressings.

I combine:
- Grapeseed oil or Olive oil
- white wine vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano

It's great for greek salad!