Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Default Grab Bag - Art and Collars and Boo!

I've been getting into this collar making thing for about a month now and have decided that I've found something that I like better than making those thrifted leather collars. The primary issue for me was finding thrifted belts that were real leather rather than cheapo synthetic stuff. This really transfers over into how I find the quality of the collars to be.

So my new "thing"? PARACORD!

I learned how to do some knots, went and bought myself some paracord and hardware and set to work. We lost Boo's old martingale a while back and I thought it would be great if I could fashion a martingale collar out of paracord - so that is exactly what I did first.

The paracord itself has a working load of 100 lbs with a listed break strength of 550 lbs. I used 3 welded O-rings with a 200 lb weight rating and a D-Ring for the leash to attach to (it's metal - but honestly - if anything were going to give out on this collar, it'd have to be the D -ring, because nothing else is going ANYWHERE). Apart from giving me blisters when I make them, this is cool! It took between 40 and 50 feet of rope to make each of these, I'd guess.

By the way - I'd be willing to part with the darker collar if someone wants it - I measured wrong and it's just a little big for Boo. The colors are black and camo green. My one disclaimer - this was the first one I made and I didn't think to end the under layer on one side and the upper layer on the other to even them out, so there's a bit of an ugly bump where I melted all of the cord together. Nothing that will hinder functionality or hurt the dog, but it's not very pretty. I fixed this issue on the orange one!

If I can find it, my goal is to by a martingale chain so I can make one with a paracord strap and chain for the martingale - I think it would slide a bit better. The ones above work well, but the knotted cord is pretty solid, so the martingale part of the collar doesn't "morph" and slide quite as freely as I'd like.

and then I decided to try my hand at watercolor. It was fun!

And just for kicks - some of Boo on the boat!

and the two of us on a hike:

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

http://www.cdwplus.com/

check these out for collar hardware.

I really like the collars , when you get the kinks worked out on the martingales with chain let me know.

I really like the water color , it looks great and Boo is so handsome in his PFD.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Nice job! If you decide to do quick releases on the martingales, I might be able to be talked into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
http://www.cdwplus.com/

check these out for collar hardware...
I was going to post the same link! I bought chains for martingales from them years ago. I never did get around to doing anything with them, tho.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

thanks guys! I'll let you know how things turn out. And thanks for the link - that hardware might be exactly what I'm looking for!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Top Dog

Those are great, and great photos!

That link is where I buy my martingale chains as well for flat or paracord collars. You're right; the paracord with chains is much easier to use than the paracord with paracord martingales. Good luck!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm