Dock Diving

xpaeanx

So, I'm going to try Muffin's paw at dock diving. I emailed the only dock diving facility in the area about when the next open spot for the beginner's is.

Anyway, I know there are a lot of dock diver's on here so I thought I'd ask for any advice before we go for the first time. Anything short-legged specific?

TIA!

xpaeanx

Muffin LOVES water and is actually a surprisingly strong swimmer. I'm slightly concerned with getting him to jump in though. He is very timid about things, so any tricks there?

Can they start getting used to the pool by using the ramp the first few times?

The one up by me gave the dogs a chance to jump from the dock, but most puppies refused, so they went from the steps. If after the 2nd try, the dog REALLY didn't want to give swimming a try, they would carry the dog in and support them while the swam to the steps.

xpaeanx

I'm going to the one by you bc it's the only one around. LOL.

The thing said the beginner's is for dogs who have never done it before, so hopefully we're not too embarrassed. LOL. It's not the swimming, it's the jumping I worry about. Muffin is really a puffer-fish(odd-shaped but will only survive when submerged in water).

I'm kind of excited about it. I'm *hoping* it's a sport he likes. So far he has had nothing but disdain for everything we've tried. LOL.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Can they start getting used to the pool by using the ramp the first few times?
Of course! This is actually the best way to do it. Get them used to clear water, they start doing some 'pops' off the ramp, then take them to the dock.

I'm going to the one by you bc it's the only one around. LOL.

The thing said the beginner's is for dogs who have never done it before, so hopefully we're not too embarrassed. LOL. It's not the swimming, it's the jumping I worry about. Muffin is really a puffer-fish(odd-shaped but will only survive when submerged in water).

I'm kind of excited about it. I'm *hoping* it's a sport he likes. So far he has had nothing but disdain for everything we've tried. LOL.
You'll be fine, I promise. They are a great group of people. I did the beginner's jump with them in May. It was a TON of fun. It was 65* and raining and Hudson only went in once, but still fun.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Bring his absolute FAV toy. One he gets really amped up about. :)

JacksonsMom

I've only been to one dock diving event (and it was just practice, not a competition at all) and they let us jump off the ramp first, which he took to right away. Also, the water was pretty cold this day (and it was windy outside) and I could tell Jax got a bit chilly, so I think that's why he was hesitant to jump in on the last time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUD4ZNDubaI

He's a BIG swimmer at my dads inground pool, and jumps off the side all the time, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMV2VrK2Q7k
so I KNOW I can eventually get him to jump off the dock. I think the added height of the dock scares him. But it took him a full summer to start jumping off the side of my dad's pool, too, so I know it'll just take some time.

But yeah, I would just do it on the ramp first. I keep wanting to go to more practices (we have a facility close by) as they do them every Thurs. but something always comes up (bad weather, something else going on, etc).

But so far, I'm really loving dock diving. Everyone is just so friendly, and it's so laid back. I was worried about being embarrased, lol, but nobody cared at all. The fact that he jumped off the ramp at least made me happy though. :D I can definitely see this being 'our' sport, and it's mainly just for fun. I don't expect him to win big or get huge jumps, but it's just sooo fun, to see all the dogs loving water. It's really a blast.

xpaeanx

Bring his absolute FAV toy. One he gets really amped up about. :)
Too bad I can't throw a roast beef sandwich in the pool. I'm pretty sure he'd do anything for that! LOL.

I feel a lot more confident if he can start on the ramp the first few times... And would places let me in the pool with the toy to call him out? I'm 99% pos he'd make the jump to get to me. If he gets scared or overwhelmed toys mean nothing, but I still count.

xpaeanx

Alright, that would be awesome. I'm really hoping this will work out. We've tried so many things and I just want to have a fun sport to do with him.

I may even try him in agility again. He was ALOT more timid a few years ago when we tried the first time. If the dock diving doesn't work out we'll try that one last time. Otherwise he may just perm be my TV buddy.

Too bad I can't throw a roast beef sandwich in the pool. I'm pretty sure he'd do anything for that! LOL.

I feel a lot more confident if he can start on the ramp the first few times... And would places let me in the pool with the toy to call him out? I'm 99% pos he'd make the jump to get to me. If he gets scared or overwhelmed toys mean nothing, but I still count.
I'm sure they would. There was a guy there with a pointy, brindle dog and he carried the dog out into the water. I was on the 2nd to last step with Hudson

Members online

No members online now.